Page 1 of 2
I work at Kenneth Cole New York.

So today was my day off, and me and a friend went in to the store I work at to do some shopping. Before I continue, let me say that I pretty much have never shoplifted, ESPECIALLY from Kenneth Cole. I really like my job and I've never broken any rules there, which is pretty weird for me. My friend that I brought does shoplift, however I've been very clear with him never to shoplift there.

But anyways, we're there shopping, and after we buy some stuff, he walks out and the alarm goes off. At first they thought they forgot to decensor the clothes, but then he pulled out some socks from his pocket that he tried to steal (I know, a ridiculous thing to steal for). My manager (who actually is really nice and cool) had a look on her face like "Is this a joke?" but she told us if that ever happened again, she would have to call the cops, and while we were standing there, I was getting really pissed at my friend. When we left, she said we'd have a talk next time I see her.

For the record, I had no idea he was planning on stealing, and had no part in it. But it's not like they can know that.

So here are my questions:

1. Do you think I'll get fired?

2. I don't work until Saturday, so should I maybe go in tomorrow or something and talk to my manager?
Last edited by The Madcap at Feb 4, 2009,
i doubt youll get fired.

did he try to walk out with one of those big plastic pin things still attached? thats just dumb.
I have no opinion on this matter.
dude your soo ****ed.
try your hardest to explain that you didnt know that was gonna happen, lets hope your manager has some heart.
Yeah, just go in ASAP and talk to your manager, I'm sure she'll be cool if you tell her you had no idea he was going to do that and you'll never bring him back there.

By the way, Madcap, I thought you worked at AMC, did you quit that or just get another job?
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by Zugunruhe
i doubt youll get fired.

did he try to walk out with one of those big plastic pin things still attached? thats just dumb.
Nah, we put these little stickers on them that you can't see unless you look for it. They look like bar codes, but the bar code on it doesn't do anything.
I don't think you will. If it was obvious you were pissed at your friend for doing this, i don't think you will. She might just wanna tell you to make sure your friend never returns to the store.

She shouldn't fire you, you have no control over others actions
I doubt you can get fired it wasnt you shoplifiting it was your friend youd probably be in big trouble if you knew about it but you didnt.

Yeah talk to your manager about it and tell her that you didnt know about it and that you will keep a closer eye on your friend in the future. Thats probably all she was gonna say if she talked to you saturday anyway.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Veritas_Saint
what part of new york you live in?
I don't, the stores name ends with New York. Apparently there are some stores called Kenneth Cole Reaction, or just Kenneth Cole Company Store.
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Yeah, just go in ASAP and talk to your manager, I'm sure she'll be cool if you tell her you had no idea he was going to do that and you'll never bring him back there.

By the way, Madcap, I thought you worked at AMC, did you quit that or just get another job?
Yeah, I quit that job. I actually care about my new job.
If your manager is as cool as you say she is, she'll probably believe you. Head in tomorrow, or as soon as possible. That way she'll know you're serious.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
Quote by The Madcap
Yeah, I quit that job. I actually care about my new job.

Haha, that's good. I couldn't stand working there after a year.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by razorback_al_31
I don't think you will. If it was obvious you were pissed at your friend for doing this, i don't think you will. She might just wanna tell you to make sure your friend never returns to the store.

She shouldn't fire you, you have no control over others actions
I hope so. I did yell at my friend afterwards because I really like my job, and I made it clear that he should NEVER go in there again.
Is your friend mentally challenged?
Randy Rhoads - I Don't Want To Stop Here. You Know?
I'd go see her tomorrow and tell her and get it straightened out. Explain to her what happened and that you had no part of it and didn't know he was doing it. Tell her you'll keep him from coming there ever again; maybe she won't fire you.

Good Luck

Quote by OffTheScales
Is your friend mentally challenged?
He's one of those guys who makes REALLY good grades, but other than that, he can be really stupid.
Quote by The Madcap
He's one of those guys who makes REALLY good grades, but other than that, he can be really stupid.

I dislike those people, they always gloat about how smart they are too, and when they do something stupid, and you call them on it "Yeah, well whos the one that gets Nineties in all their classes"

.........I could just punch them in their gloating face
I don't think so my friend. Wasn't your fault.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Nah, just tell them you had no idea he was shoplifting. Since you didn't have anything in your pockets they can't really do anything.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.

2. I don't work until Saturday, so should I maybe go in tomorrow or something and talk to my manager?

No.

No.
You won't get fired. But you should tell her exactly everything cus you probably do kinda trust each other.. So you'll get some trust back
well tell your manager that you knew he was going to shoplift and you encouraged him. Tell her you picked out the best possible socks to steal and she should be cool about it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Quote by The Madcap
I work at Kenneth Cole New York.

So today was my day off, and me and a friend went in to the store I work at to do some shopping. Before I continue, let me say that I pretty much have never shoplifted, ESPECIALLY from Kenneth Cole. I really like my job and I've never broken any rules there, which is pretty weird for me. My friend that I brought does shoplift, however I've been very clear with him never to shoplift there.

But anyways, we're there shopping, and after we buy some stuff, he walks out and the alarm goes off. At first they thought they forgot to decensor the clothes, but then he pulled out some socks from his pocket that he tried to steal (I know, a ridiculous thing to steal for). My manager (who actually is really nice and cool) had a look on her face like "Is this a joke?" but she told us if that ever happened again, she would have to call the cops, and while we were standing there, I was getting really pissed at my friend. When we left, she said we'd have a talk next time I see her.

For the record, I had no idea he was planning on stealing, and had no part in it. But it's not like they can know that.

That was awfully thick-headed of your friend.

I don't think you'll be fired if you weren't the one shoplifting. I don't think you can be fired for things that you do off the clock, as long as they aren't too outrageous.

Also if you haven't had any offenses prior to this, or haven't had one in a while you ought to be fine.

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out okay. Also try to work things out with your friend if you're angry...

It's a silly thing to lose a friendship over.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
you might get fired if ur boss stickes to the rules
if you explain im she should might understand
Quote by The Madcap

I'm guessing you're not in a union so if they do fire you you don't have a whole lot of leeway to do anything about it.
No those aren't grounds for dismissal at all. I know over here the only way that you can be immediately dismissed is if you have less than 6 months service or are caught for gross misconduct. Otherwise you have to go through Verbal warning, written warning, second written warning, dismissal.
That isn't gross misconduct, particularly as you didn't actually do anything.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
What an asshole.

You shouldn't get fired, I don't think anyone would believe someone who worked there would be stupid enough to try and steal like that.

If you wanted to steal stuff it'd make way more sense for you to detag it 1st, no?
No and no.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I'm guessing you're not in a union so if they do fire you you don't have a whole lot of leeway to do anything about it.
No those aren't grounds for dismissal at all. I know over here the only way that you can be immediately dismissed is if you have less than 6 months service or are caught for gross misconduct. Otherwise you have to go through Verbal warning, written warning, second written warning, dismissal.
That isn't gross misconduct, particularly as you didn't actually do anything.

6 words in and you mention a union, is that a new record?

No TS I don't think you can be fired, definitely go in ASAP and try to explain to you're manager/supervisor what happened though.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Got some news about your friend: he's a real DOUCHE for doing that and you should let him know about it.
We're only strays.
wow. if you friend likes to shoplift as much as you say, you think he would have been smart enough to remove all the tags from the item before taking it. its practically rule number one of shoplifting, behind wearing loose fitting clothing.

and no, i doubt you will get fired. explain everything to your boss that you just explained to us.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by Cal UK
6 words in and you mention a union, is that a new record?

Probably. It is relevant though, I'm not just trying to bring it up.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t

Yeah I know for once
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by Cal UK
Yeah I know for once

-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
You won't be fired... you havn't actually done anything wrong. No one can prove that you have seeing as at no point were you so much as touching the socks. Just say you didn't know, and they'll have no choice but to take your word.

Or fire you... but that's illegal really
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I'd say 90% or more of the US work force is non-unionized.

Fire your friend Madcap.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2