i have the deluxe tube screamer and a b-52 at-100 half stack. i know by putting the drive 0 and cranking the level you can use it as a boost, but i dont like the sound it makes. if i turn master all the way up and channel levels higher than usual but keep the level on the pedal verry low will this get me more natural break up? i would try it out myself but its late and i just popped my high e string. any advice is welcome thanks.
If you want more natural breakup, just use the damn thing like an ...overdrive. Mess with the drive level on the pedal.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I thought using it with the drive at 0 was to get a "tighter" sound rather than a boost. Giving it more drive is kinda like boosting the gain on your amp. That is probably what you should be doing.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Laney VC50
Roland Cube 30X
Boss MD-2

Ibanez GSR200

Official Newbie Of The 'Australia FTW!' Club PM Alter-Bridge Or The_Random_Hero To Join. Australians only.
no i wana keep the drive at 0, and instead of boosting the level i wana cut it back so that the tubes work harder and i can crank it with less volume. than the tubes will overload and the soundwaves will come out of the amp in cream form. just an idea.
nope. doesn't quite work like that. you need to add a bit of drive, or just get a boost.

Don't judge me.
last question. i immagine using thetube screamer as a boost would color the tone correct? would there be a big difference if i got a dedicated boost and not have to use the ts?
most pedals color the tone slightly, but if you get a good boost, it should be fairly transparent.

Don't judge me.
All an overdrive is doing is pushing the front end of your amp, the tone you get from pushing your preamp tubes and the overdrive you get from cranking your amp's volume are completely different.
Quote by al112987
All an overdrive is doing is pushing the front end of your amp, the tone you get from pushing your preamp tubes and the overdrive you get from cranking your amp's volume are completely different.

exactly...one is far more harmonic than the other.
That being said, using an OD like an OD instead of a clean boost or metal tightener is as close as you're going to come.

Don't judge me.