I've been looking into getting a new cab and I really want a 412 only I'd like to keep it to one cab and all I can find is getting two 2 12s.

Why doesn't anybody make a 412 in like a slanted cab style like guitar cabs come in? Is it possible to convert a guitar 412 into a bass cab, and if so aside from swapping the speakers what else would I need to do?
get 2 18's

you will be fine =)

it doens't sound like a good idea to make a guitar can into a bass cab.
after all...its made for guitar.
But i could be wrong...i've been wrong before you know.
4x12s sound great. well 2x12s sound great i know and a 4x12 will give more volume/lowend. They come very close to the punch of 10's and very close to the depth of 15's. think punchy 15" speakers. I personally am looking at getting a 4x12 setup. just can't find any to try in my area. 2 2x12s is somewhat the better option because of the hassle of moving a 4x12 around.

i don't know exactly why they don't slant them but turning a guitar cab into a bass cab won't be as easy as switching out the speakers. the cab itself is tuned to a certain frequency to help reproduce certain frequencies that sound good on guitar. Also, bass 4x12 cabs are not built in the same style as guitar 4x12s. they are taller, and thus project the sound higher up without the need for a slant.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
If your going for a 4x12 cab, your pretty much looking at a fridge type set-up. Sorry.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Feb 5, 2009,
Gallien Krueger have a 4x12 as part of their NEO line of speakers.

I have the 2x12 version and it is good

Got to ask though, do you want a 4x12 because you're playing gigs big enough to justify that size cab, or do you just want it for the sake of having a 4x12?
Aguilar, Bergatino, G-K all make 4x12's. Marshall makes a bass cab like a guitar cab and so does peavey but they both suck quite badly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
With bass cabs, a good bit of engineering is required in the cabinetry itself. With guitar cabs, you can stick any speaker in any position in any cab of any shape, and by and large, everything'll work. It'll have different characteristics, but it'll work. With bass cabs, you just can't do that. Marshall bass amps are a joke, and so are there guitar-like 412s and, yes, 415s. A 415....
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Ive seen other 4x15's. i thinl sunn made it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Inline, 2x2, like a guitar cab? And as deep as a guitar cab?

I mean Acoustic made one, too - 2 pointing forwards, and 2 backwards.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by Jateca
Got to ask though, do you want a 4x12 because you're playing gigs big enough to justify that size cab, or do you just want it for the sake of having a 4x12?

I did see their 412 fridge. The reason why I wanted it, is I was just thinking of upgrading from my Avatar 410 and thought a little home project like the 412 might be something fun to work on for a while.
If went back to the original 4x12s you would probably be very dissapointed, most had 25 watt 12s hence the need for four of them to make a 100 watt cab.
As speaker power handling grew so did the magnet weight by a factor of 4 in a 4x12 cab.
If you do want four 12" SPEAKERS I would go for two 2x12s loaded with Neos.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
he could always get a 4x12 with neos in it. Still heavey though. over 100 lbs. that's why I also think 2 2x12s is the better option unless you'll never move it...as if that's gonna happen. lol
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
I prefer the big cabs to two smaller ones. 8x10s, 4x12s, etc, cause you have everything together in 1 package, and they roll if the person designing them has any semblance of a brain, so they're still relatively easy to move on your own.
sure most of them roll...but what if there's stairs involved. my practice place is the second story of a barn.(fully heated and all) It's be a pain moving something that big/awkward and heavy up stairs. even 5 or 6 stairs would be annoying.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
meh, I don't really find it all that terrible. I honestly find moving our guitar player's rigs around more of a pain than mine, cause I just tilt mine back and they go, and you only need 1 person to do it.
Quote by Revelation
sure most of them roll...but what if there's stairs involved. my practice place is the second story of a barn.(fully heated and all) It's be a pain moving something that big/awkward and heavy up stairs. even 5 or 6 stairs would be annoying.
Know full well what you mean, I built some cabs for 'Def Leppard' and had to deliver them up three flights of Fire Escape to their rehearsal room.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Did you used to work for a Cab company John, or were you a private builder. You sound as though you must have made some serious stuff.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Did you used to work for a Cab company John, or were you a private builder. You sound as though you must have made some serious stuff.
I built custom gear and got speakers straight from the factory. I'll go back through my shots and dig out the Leppard cabs.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Hey if this guy wants to carry around a 4x12 then he's stronger than me so I won't argue.

seriously if you want a project then why not build from scratch rather than adapt a guitar cab. It's not that a guitar cab won't work at all its just that a custom cab will work better.

A 4x12 won't sound any different or be physically different from 2x12's if they are using the same drive units, it really just comes down to what you prefer carrying.
Quote by fatgoogle

Here's the some of the cabs I built for Def Leppard, the flared cabs were very efficient but complex to buiild.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Phil Starr

seriously if you want a project then why not build from scratch rather than adapt a guitar cab. It's not that a guitar cab won't work at all its just that a custom cab will work better.

Building from scratch would take more work and time than I had intended on investing in this whole thing. It was more of just an idea than a necessity to have a 412 cab like that.