so basicly im in this band i play rhythm and we got three guitarists but this one guy is basicly a third leg and he doesnt play anything major
he says hes been playing for about 3 years but he plays like hes played for about 6 months
so up until lately hes had nothing but a squier strat and a 10w amp and we played this school gig thing and after seeing my amp he bought the exact same one and the same with my multi effects pedal and now im getting a new guitar (LTD EC-401) and im gunna swap the emgs for some SDs and hes doing the exact same thing AGAIN and its really pissing me off because hes sounding the exact same as me so what cud i do to establish some major tonal differences with out buying something he'll ****ing buy 10 minutes later
i would lol but he wouldnt be able to play bass and our singer is quite happy playing bass atm
well if you are that much better than him you should be getting much better tone than him from your fingers alone.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by kennel
i would lol but he wouldnt be able to play bass

Turn the bass to appropriate volume, problem solved.

You could try saving up your money for a really expensive pedalboard and dial in a tone that's hard to re-create.
Quote by kennel
so basicly im in this band i play rhythm and we got three guitarists but this one guy is basicly a third leg and he doesnt play anything major
he says hes been playing for about 3 years but he plays like hes played for about 6 months
so up until lately hes had nothing but a squier strat and a 10w amp and we played this school gig thing and after seeing my amp he bought the exact same one and the same with my multi effects pedal and now im getting a new guitar (LTD EC-401) and im gunna swap the emgs for some SDs and hes doing the exact same thing AGAIN and its really pissing me off because hes sounding the exact same as me so what cud i do to establish some major tonal differences with out buying something he'll ****ing buy 10 minutes later

If he sucks so much, how can he sound exactly the same as you............unless you suck too

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
im just saying we have the same tone theres no defining differences and even when i crank up the volume he does the same thing and he sounds worse than me and it then sounds all ****ed up
My cousin has (almost) done this same exact thing, except we don't play in the same band. He's coppin my tone hard.

Just play better than him and ensure you stand out when you do play. Thats what I do and I don't even care anymore...except when people say "Your sound is so different from everybody else."

Dude used to watch me and my brother play together all the time and now he's trying to do the same thing with my brother...except he can't play half the stuff I play.

Just be a better guitarist is all I'm sayin.
yea i get what everyones saying but i really like the sound if created with my gear and its killing me that some fag who probly doesnt know anyhting about guitars is completely copying it
Tell him you two should start making a pedalboard so you can get a good tone, work on it separately, and don't show him your effects until you've got it the way you like and he has his done.
the problem with that is ive just spent all my money on a guitar
why are you in a band with this person that you "hate"? 3 guitars is a waste of electricity anyways, especially if one of them can't play jacksh*t
It's all about feel
Just tell him he should search for his own sound. If he gets offended he can go **** himself.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Let your fingers do the talking. If he's got the same gear as you, outperform him, dial some new tones in your amp, try something dynamic.
My gear:
'96 Ibanez S540FMTT
'91 Standard Gibson SG [w/ Bare Knuckle Warpigs]
Peavey Triple XXX 112
Quote by XianXiuHong
You should be getting better tone than him if you're really that much better than him.

Does it matter if he always copies you? He's wasting his money.

Well said.

If you sound the same as him through the same gear, then you suck just as much as he does. And yes, I mean the tone as well, most of your tone comes from your guitar and amp responding to your fingers, your pick attack, and playing dynamics.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2009,
just confront the guy and tell him, to get different gear, tell him you want a different tone than him.
Quote by RockxxStar
just confront the guy and tell him, to get different gear, tell him you want a different tone than him.

You don't need to do that. Just a simple improvement in EQ and your playing style should set you apart.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
You don't need to do that. Just a simple improvement in EQ and your playing style should set you apart.

that also works
Tell him he is ****. He will then leave the band and turn emo, then you can get a good guitarist.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Fire him. Simple as that. Some bands can work with three guitars(I'm managing to with my band, albeit difficultly since I had enough trouble writing for two guitars), others can't. If he's really being that much of an ass, fire his ass.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Tell him to use a different pickup to you?

Play with your tone knobs.

EQ differently (as mentioned).

But if you are better, most people will pick the difference.
have him play rythem and just whoop his ass with lead. beat him down with experience. hes only got a squier strat. well until you both get that esp... hmmm. yeah wats the other guitar player do? if its lead then you both do lead and take turns or somethin like dragonforce or some **** idk .wat you think
One thing I'm wondering...why is he in the band in the first place? He can't play, and he just copies you, what purpose does he have? I have multiple purposes in my band, and would love someone to takeover some of them, but if he serves no purpose, then get him out of the band.
Quote by random_B-RAD
He will then leave the band and turn emo, .

It's all about feel
Quote by Alex Vik
One thing I'm wondering...why is he in the band in the first place? He can't play, and he just copies you, what purpose does he have? I have multiple purposes in my band, and would love someone to takeover some of them, but if he serves no purpose, then get him out of the band.

His sole purpose in the band is to eventually usurp the lead guitar spot. LOL
Talk to your other band members, they probably don't know much about guitar tone or what he is doing, so explain to them what you said to us, ask them what to do, they will probably agree on kicking him out.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Stop being a pushover and call him out

Actually, I think it's cute (no homo). From what I understand from your posts, you're much better than him, and he's all like "meow why can't I melt faces like him *pout*" so he thinks it might be gear so he goes and tries to be like you
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by Mosho2
Stop being a pushover and call him out

Actually, I think it's cute (no homo). From what I understand from your posts, you're much better than him, and he's all like "meow why can't I melt faces like him *pout*" so he thinks it might be gear so he goes and tries to be like you

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all. It also sells. As much as I respect him for bringing back the blues, compare John Mayer to SRV and you'll hear a similarity. Also, Fallout Boy compared to Garage Band on a Mac. Same thing.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Joe-White
His sole purpose in the band is to eventually usurp the lead guitar spot. LOL

Well, it sounds like you'd be able to do that first.
what's your amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
just get all your friends to laugh at the kid for being such a poser of you.. he will change real quick
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
ditch him, you dont need three guitars in a band

harmony melody rhythm

harmonies and melodys can be played by one person

(in the case of my band, im lead guitar, so i do harmonies, melodys and solos.)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ