Page 1 of 3
hello fellow guitar players. *just to clarify, I mean investment as in do you think it's worth it for the money*

I've been quite happy with my '69 gibson sg, but I've been saving up to take the next step. I've decided to have a custom guitar built. I have about $5,000 in the bank. the specifications for my guitar are as follows.

color: a nitro silver/white

Body: Neck through with a handmade 'X' design. hard maple neck with honduran mahogany wings. schaller straplock. recessed electrosocket jack. all black hardware. original black floyd rose trem. black metal low profile pickup rings.

Neck: 13 degree tilt 6/side reverse O. Ebony fretboard. Ebony truss rod cover. white mother of pearl reverse shark tooth fret markers. paua abalone side markers. bound headstock and fretboard. 10" radius fretboard. 25.5" scale. wizard profile with rolled edges. grover 14:1 tuning machines. 24 medium jumbo frets. double action truss rod.

Electronics: bridge= Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat Humbucker. neck= Seymour Duncan SH-PG1 Pearly Gates Humbucker. 3 way toggle switch. 2 volume, 2 tone controls.

I can have this made for me for around $4,000. do you think it would be worth it?
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Full Stack
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech TL-2 Hardwire Metal Distortion
Digitech Digital Delay
Last edited by forsakenpromise at Feb 5, 2009,
It all sounds good. But I think using a different set of pickups will allow the guitar to have a more unique character to the sound that you would want in something that custom.
Quote by M Power
It all sounds good. But I think using a different set of pickups will allow the guitar to have a more unique character to the sound that you would want in something that custom.

i agree. dropping $4k on a custom guitar and then putting EMGs in it is almost a crime. i have nothing against EMGs, they were a main part of my tone for quite some time, but they tend to make every guitar sound more or less the same.

edit: i noticed in your sig it says you have a "marshall half stack", which model ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Last edited by mikeyElite at Feb 5, 2009,
sounds pretty gnarly but I agree with M power about getting a unique sound. I have EMG's and I like them but it does make sense to get something unique if your gonna spend that much money. Maybe get the 81TW that has the coil tap or just mix and match some random pickups for a unique sound. Who knows? Its your guitar do what you like
Quote by mikeyElite
edit: i noticed in your sig it says you have a "marshall half stack", which model ?

its the MG half stack. I have an MG100HDFX head and an MG412A cab.

and I was thinking about different pickups, but they aren't really my specialty. I like to play really quiet, mellow clean stuff with my neck pickup, and I usually use the bridge pickup for solos and heavy distortion. does anyone have a pickup combo recommendation? whatever they are, they need to be high end. this guitar needs to sound like it cost what it did after all.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by forsakenpromise
MG half stack.

use $3000 to buy new amp, and $2000 for guitar
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
use $3000 to buy new amp, and $2000 for guitar

I've already got a new amp on the way. I had around $8,000 in the bank. I bought a mesa boogie triple rectifier and two 412 cabs to go with it.

EDIT: and I'm having a company called Onyx Forge build it for me. The seem to make very high quality guitars.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Last edited by forsakenpromise at Feb 5, 2009,
Why not use ESP or Gibson custom shop?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Why not use ESP or Gibson custom shop?

well, I'm sure they would both make an exceptional quality guitar, but I like to have unique guitars. and you don't see very many Onyx Forge guitars anywhere. I've only seen one. it was modeled after a tele. it was one of the best guitars I've ever played. I just decided to go with them because I like their guitars. its just personal preference I guess.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by forsakenpromise
I've already got a new amp on the way. I had around $8,000 in the bank. I bought a mesa boogie triple rectifier and two 412 cabs to go with it.

EDIT: and I'm having a company called Onyx Forge build it for me. The seem to make very high quality guitars.

I'm honestly quite curious how a high school kid manages to drop $8000 on gear in this economy. Especially when you are pretty much blind buying a guitar.

Is it a good investment? No, not at all. You might think that it will look cool with your full stack (which I feel like will never get turned above 2, if even that, I don't care how loud you think you will play, if you're actually good enough to play at a gig that warrants an amp like that, the sound guys will make you turn it down unless you're playing an arena), but that is all you will get out of it. A guitar like that is so outlandish that it will have a tough time with resale and it's value will sink like a lead balloon, so it's really up to do to decide whether you want to drop that kind of money on... basically a shape.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2009,
it's a pretty wild rig, but mesa trip is the bomb! and how is it on the way? did you order at the store because they didn't have any in stock?
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
it's a pretty wild rig, but mesa trip is the bomb! and how is it on the way? did you order at the store because they didn't have any in stock?

yup. I actually ordered it two days ago. it should be at guitar center in a day or two.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by forsakenpromise
yup. I actually ordered it two days ago. it should be at guitar center in a day or two.

have fun picking jealous people off you

why did you get two cabs?
It's all about feel
Quote by al112987
I'm honestly quite curious how a high school kid manages to drop $8000 on gear in this economy. Especially when you are pretty much blind buying a guitar.

Is it a good investment? No, not at all. You might think that it will look cool with your full stack (which I feel like will never get turned above 2, if even that, I don't care how loud you think you will play, if you're actually good enough to play at a gig that warrants an amp like that, the sound guys will make you turn it down unless you're playing an arena), but that is all you will get out of it. A guitar like that is so outlandish that it will have a tough time with resale and it's value will sink like a lead balloon, so it's really up to do to decide whether you want to drop that kind of money on... basically a shape.

well. someone's panties are in a bunch, aren't they?

if you must know, I graduated when I was 17. I've been working as a corrections officer for the past 5 months, and I make an average of $3,500 per month. I live at home, so the only bills I have are car payment, cell phone, and gas.

and one of my bands is playing at an outdoor festival next year where there will be about 8,000-12,000 people. is that a big enough venue for you?

don't be judging someone you don't even know. for your information, I happen to like odd shaped guitars. and what exactly would you expect to get if you bought a $4,000 gibson or PRS or any other guitar for that matter? I'm curious as to why you think it's not worth it. and I don't see why it would be so hard to resell a custom one of a kind guitar.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by hopespaul
have fun picking jealous people off you

why did you get two cabs?

why the hell wouldn't I get two cabs? lol
two is better than one.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
Quote by forsakenpromise
why the hell wouldn't I get two cabs? lol
two is better than one.

because they're a heavy pair of ballz...

i'm assuming you already have a trailer.
It's all about feel
Last edited by hopespaul at Feb 5, 2009,
He obviously doesn't need it, but no one needs a Mercedes either. Novelty has its own price, but being proud of something you love that you worked hard for has none.

Edit: On the subject at hand, I know nothing of customs, but my intuition tells me that if you're getting a boutique guitar, you should get some boutique hardware to go along with it.
Last edited by Mosho2 at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by forsakenpromise
and I don't see why it would be so hard to resell a custom one of a kind guitar.

because it was made specifically for you, it will be hard to find someone who will have the same exact preferences in specs, so low demand will result in a low price.

i would highly recommend to get a production guitar.
It's all about feel
Quote by forsakenpromise
well. someone's panties are in a bunch, aren't they?

if you must know, I graduated when I was 17. I've been working as a corrections officer for the past 5 months, and I make an average of $3,500 per month. I live at home, so the only bills I have are car payment, cell phone, and gas.

and one of my bands is playing at an outdoor festival next year where there will be about 8,000-12,000 people. is that a big enough venue for you?

don't be judging someone you don't even know. for your information, I happen to like odd shaped guitars. and what exactly would you expect to get if you bought a $4,000 gibson or PRS or any other guitar for that matter? I'm curious as to why you think it's not worth it. and I don't see why it would be so hard to resell a custom one of a kind guitar.

Easy. Because I could buy a $4000 Gibson and be confident that I would have a buyer for it later on if it is a good guitar. Why? Because there will always be a market for a Gibson Les Paul. I said it was a poor investment, and that you are going to be paying only for the odd shape that you like. That isn't an investment at all. Have you ever taken a dip into the custom guitar market? It's a buyer's market. The value of that guitar, the second it's in your ownership will be dictated by how much a buyer is willing to pay for it. How much YOU paid for it becomes an entire non-factor. You can tell people "oh I paid $4000 for this, it's one of a kind, I'd like to sell it for $2500," and their response is not "Wow, I'm getting a one of a kind guitar for $2500," it will be "am I willing to pay $2500 for a 'one of a kind' guitar." That is the difference between buying a $4000 Gibson and a $4000 custom guitar. What good is having a one of a kind guitar if there is no demand for it. Go look at how many one of a kind, custom-built guitars are out there being offered (not even sold) for 20-30% of what they originally paid for it. If you call that kind of return good resale, then good for you.

Besides, you asked whether we thought it was a good investment or not, I gave my opinion. If you think having an odd shape is worth it, then so be it.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by al112987

Easy. Because I could buy a $4000 Gibson and be confident that I would have a buyer for it later on if it is a good guitar. Why? Because there will always be a market for a Gibson Les Paul. I said it was a poor investment, and that you are going to be paying only for the odd shape that you like. That isn't an investment at all. Have you ever taken a dip into the custom guitar market? It's a buyer's market. The value of that guitar, the second it's in your ownership will be dictated by how much a buyer is willing to pay for it. How much YOU paid for it becomes an entire non-factor. That is the difference between buying a $4000 Gibson and a $4000 custom guitar.

Besides, you asked whether we thought it was a good investment or not, I gave my opinion. If you think having an odd shape is worth it, then so be it.

Hum... I think you might have misunderstood him, or maybe I did. I doubt he meant an investment as a source of income, because no guitar will fit that criteria lol, if anything, it's a collector's item, which is not an investment either.
I think he just wanted our opinion on the guitar as a purchase, but instead of "purchase" he wrote "investment".
Quote by Mosho2
Hum... I think you might have misunderstood him, or maybe I did. I doubt he meant an investment as a source of income, because no guitar will fit that criteria lol, if anything, it's a collector's item, which is not an investment either.
I think he just wanted our opinion on the guitar as a purchase, but instead of "purchase" he wrote "investment".

exactly.

I don't plan on ever re-selling this guitar. if I did, then why would I bother buying it in the first place?
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
what the hells wrong with the sg? just throw some sick pickups like SDs or somethin and your SG would be sick. i have an sg and i love that some bitch!
Quote by Mosho2

that's not always true. when i bought my sg standard it was 1069, now it's 1649. definitely a solid investment (better than Ford stock)
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
that's not always true. when i bought my sg standard it was 1069, now it's 1649. definitely a solid investment (better than Ford stock)

Not an investment, unless you bought it specifically in order to sell it. If you play it, it's not an investment. If you would have bought it for 1069, and never used it or opened the case, then it would probably qualify as an investment. But who does that? :| There are far better ways to make money lol
$3500 a month as a corrections officer straight out of highschool? yeah....

In anycase. I don't think that EMGs in a "strictly" custom guitar is a "sound investment," as you're paying 5k for a custom built body with awesome wood and amazing tone, and EMGs aren't exactly known for complimenting the natural tone of a guitar, they're known more for being sterile and stripping all of the natural tone out of the guitar. If you're sinking that kind of dough into a guitar, then the luthier building it for you will be able to tell you all the dos and don't of customs building. (Why do I have the feeling you're going to put nothing but a single volume knob on this thing?)

Also, 2 4x12 cabs is the most obnoxious thing in the world to a lot of people. By bringing fullstacks to shows you a) tell the other bands that you have a huge wang because you have an amp bigger than their's and b) tell the sound guys to f off because you have an amp big enough to fill the arena. But the fact of the matter is, even playing arenas and 8,000 -12,000 people outdoor venues (where/when is this, by the way, if it's around me, I'd love to see and support a fellow UG'er) the sound guys still mic 1 single speaker out of your 8 killer speakers and run it through a sound systems. I've got a Marshall JCM900 halfstack that hasn't been run as a 100watt 4x12 since the first week I owned it. It's used as a 50watt 2x12 instead.

Also, I honestly don't think that a guy straight out of HS should be spending EVERYSINGLECENT on a Mesa fullstack and a custom built guitar in this economy. The job market is collapsing and a lot of people are feeling the crunch pretty badly, I would suggest better "investments," than a custom built guitar... like a c.o.d. or money market account, or starting a well funded 401k so that down the road, you don't have to hock your $5,000 custom built guitar for $1200 because you lost your job.

Plus, you've only been playing guitar for about a year and you treat people like **** on this forum, so, I honestly don't think it's a good investment. Taking that $4,000 for the Onyx Forge and using it to pay a teacher to teach you music theory and how to play would probably be the better investment for you. Then, no matter how custom your guitar is that you're playing through your mesa, it will sound awesome.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 5, 2009,
lol@ your so-called "investment". Have you thought at all about your future? Like maybe investing some of this money at a bank or something? Okay, you love playing guitar, but man there's other things in life you know.

al112987 and Thomme couldn't have said it any better. If you wanna blow all your money on an idea like this, go right ahead

The smart thing to do would be to think this through a lot more. Think about what would make a good guitar, and what amp and cabs you really need.

You say you're 17...your parents are actually letting you do this with your money?...
Last edited by Bling Dogg at Feb 5, 2009,
Thats a lot of money......
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
wow. where to start... I'm not 17, I graduated when I was 17. I'm 18 now. and yes, I make $3,500 a month. I work 4 days a week. my normal shift is 10 and a half hours long. and sometimes I get mandated for overtime. or I volunteer for it. then my shift is 17 and a half hours long. I get paid time and a half for the extra 7 hours, and if I do that for each of the four days I work, that's a 70 hour work week. I get paid double for every hour past 40.
my pay is $15.65 per hour. you do the math.

next, I don't mean investment to sell. I mean is the price worth it for the features.

and I'm not planning on just turning up my amp at shows, I'm gonna mic it.

and of course I'm going to drop this kind of money on equipment. one of my bands is recording a cd early next year. I'm in four different bands.

and I've already taken lessons for about 8 months. I still have one every week.

I honestly don't know why you guys feel the need to blindly critisize my life.

also, I'm not putting EMG's in it. I'm looking into other pickups.

oh, and I already have a 401k because of my job. goverment jobs give you all sorts of benefits.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
the pickups will be...

Bridge: Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat Humbucker

Neck: Seymour Duncan SH-PG1 Pearly Gates Humbucker.
My gear:
1969 Gibson SG
Dunlop Cry Baby
Digitech Digital Delay
why... just yesterday, you were asking for help with songwriting, and claimed that you didn't take lessons... and that you've never learned anything about thoery, because you don't need to.... I'm just confused now.
Quote by hopespaul

I am interested when you bought your sg standard cause you actually made an economic loss assuming a 5% interest rate compounded yearly if you bought it earlier than 10 years ago. Making it a very bad investment considering the much greater risk. Cars are also very bad investments. No-one bar no-one buys a guitar or similar product with the idea of selling it on as an investment (unless they are dellusional). The closest item is of course those idiots that buy and sell wine. But in all respect the guy made it quite clear in his first post that despite the title he didn't mean as a financial investment (at least to me). The only time you could possibly count on it is if you like saw Jimi Hendrix and you got the chance to buy his guitar for cheap and you a very strong feeling that he was going to be outrageously famous. Then maybe you could justify the guitar as an investment. And you can use an investment it just reduces your returns unless your famous and you playing it day in and day out makes it worth even more. But if you are that famous you probably don't have to worry about trading in the speculative guitar market.

BTW I think everyone could be being a bit hard to this guy cause finally someone has the balls and buy the gear of his dreams. I hope it all works out alright.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
IMO it's kind of a bad way to use that money.You could get a 5000 dollar custom shop guitar,or you could spend 2 or 3 grand less and still get a godly instrument.The 2 4x12 cabs is pretty much overkill as well.Instead of spending all that money on guitar related stuff you could start preparing yourself for the future in a troubled economy or actually use the money to strike out on your own and live by yourself.That's just my opinion though,spend it however you want,but think long term any time you consider dropping this kind of cash into the economy.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If you want to get a custom guitar go for it, I'm not sure how to think about it as an investment though. Only you can really decide if it's worth it or not. How important is guitar playing to you, and will this guitar satisfy you more than other ones? Those are questions you need to answer on your own.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by bpazolli
I am interested when you bought your sg standard cause you actually made an economic loss assuming a 5% interest rate compounded yearly if you bought it earlier than 10 years ago. Making it a very bad investment considering the much greater risk. Cars are also very bad investments. No-one bar no-one buys a guitar or similar product with the idea of selling it on as an investment (unless they are dellusional). The closest item is of course those idiots that buy and sell wine. But in all respect the guy made it quite clear in his first post that despite the title he didn't mean as a financial investment (at least to me). The only time you could possibly count on it is if you like saw Jimi Hendrix and you got the chance to buy his guitar for cheap and you a very strong feeling that he was going to be outrageously famous. Then maybe you could justify the guitar as an investment. And you can use an investment it just reduces your returns unless your famous and you playing it day in and day out makes it worth even more. But if you are that famous you probably don't have to worry about trading in the speculative guitar market.

BTW I think everyone could be being a bit hard to this guy cause finally someone has the balls and buy the gear of his dreams. I hope it all works out alright.

I don't think he ever did buy the SG. There's no posts about his SG anywhere, actually. There's this neat little feature where you can go through all of someone's posts, right? He never once talks about a vintage SG until this thread. In fact, the only other guitar he talks about is a Schecter C-7, from what I've found. So, what is it foresaken? You gonna finally post vids of you playing your hojillion songs and prove us wrong? You got a myspace for your music, maybe?
Come back here in about 5 years or so, then tell us if it was a smart decision (if you still have it).
Page 1 of 3