hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me out on a crazy little idea i had.

im not interested in adding a killswitch to my guitar cause i use a variety of guitars and dont trust myself drilling in them all.

i was wondering if it were able to make a kill switch pedal that would have a speed control, so that you would only need to adjust one knob and then press the pedal on and it would automatically cut the signal rather then having to continuously press the switch with my foot.

i had the crazier thought of using a strobe light to make this as i dont know if it would work though, i have a tiny one that i never use so was hoping to experiment with it.

if anyone could help me with this id be very grateful.

i have reasonable soldering skill and electronics knowledge.

heres the pics of the strobe light as well to help
Attachments:
DSC00247.JPG
DSC00249.JPG
Last edited by snouta at Feb 5, 2009,
well a tremolo pedal with a square wave and intensity at 100% would do that...No idea how to make one yourself though...If you happen to find out let me know, alright?
Last edited by zefi at Feb 5, 2009,
You'd basically just need to build a 555 astable with a variable capacitor to control the speed, then add in a master power switch that you could hit with your foot. I can't see any reason why this wouldn't work.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
hmm ok, and how would i go about this? cause i really want to if its possible, and thanks for the quick reply
oh really, hmm, seems likes this is something a few people may want, i should copyright or patent this idea, hmm
wow thats so awesome, i want one, but i have no money

so would it possible then the make just the chopping side of the pedal like in that one?

i really want it
well i have 2 methods of doing this, one involves a DS-1 pedal. the other involves a 3 toggle guitar (gibson style toggle not strat) but any ways here a description for both of them

Toggle Style - pretty simple turn of the volume on the pickup you don't want to use (i love bridge pickups so i turn down the neck pickup) then you can place your thumb and the next 2 fingers on the toggle switch and flick it, it'll bounce back and the kill switch effect will be implememented without a kill switch, however i think this might mess up the wiring a little bit i don't know, since i can only do it on one of my guitars.

but anyways i said that one first since i have tried using the killswitch pedal effect and its hard to do as it does involve the problem of having to put your foot on it constantly, but anyways here is how you would do it

killswitch pedal - take any distortion pedal (or a pedal will voume control) and turn down everything on it to 0, then you have a killswitch the only problem i've had problems with is a little fuzz seeping through. that and the having to use your foot to get he effect rolling. i'll try to think of a way to get this to work, i wouldn't mind having the effect.

maybe you could make it have some form of clicking type piece in it that would interupt the signal, i was thinking about doing it by have a toggle switch for 2 pickups, but only wiring up 1 side so i could use the effect.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Quote by F8iscruel
well i have 2 methods of doing this, one involves a DS-1 pedal. the other involves a 3 toggle guitar (gibson style toggle not strat) but any ways here a description for both of them

Toggle Style - pretty simple turn of the volume on the pickup you don't want to use (i love bridge pickups so i turn down the neck pickup) then you can place your thumb and the next 2 fingers on the toggle switch and flick it, it'll bounce back and the kill switch effect will be implememented without a kill switch, however i think this might mess up the wiring a little bit i don't know, since i can only do it on one of my guitars.

but anyways i said that one first since i have tried using the killswitch pedal effect and its hard to do as it does involve the problem of having to put your foot on it constantly, but anyways here is how you would do it

killswitch pedal - take any distortion pedal (or a pedal will voume control) and turn down everything on it to 0, then you have a killswitch the only problem i've had problems with is a little fuzz seeping through. that and the having to use your foot to get he effect rolling. i'll try to think of a way to get this to work, i wouldn't mind having the effect.

maybe you could make it have some form of clicking type piece in it that would interupt the signal, i was thinking about doing it by have a toggle switch for 2 pickups, but only wiring up 1 side so i could use the effect.

pretty sure from what the OP described he's looking for something like a dedicated pedal that chops the audio... like a tremolo. if i understand correctly a killswitch on the guitar wouldn't work in this regard unless the guitarist has 3 arms and muting a distortion pedal might work if the switch was a momentary one.

i'm interested in this also... maybe theres a way to reverse engineer a tremolo pedal to do this?

honestly this might be better answered in the ultimate pedal building thread.
theres an ultimate pedal building thread? hmm ill have to post in that then, thanks
nah im not looking for a tremolo pedal, im after a pedal that will cut the signal momentarily like a killswitch but that i can program to set the speed at which it cuts the signal and only needs to be pressed once to have it going.
hmm i think im on to something with the metronome circuit, i found a digram for a tremolo that uses a 555 timer to create a square wave, looking at it, it shows the guitar input going into pin 3 on the timer.

so im thinking if i make the metronome circuit and run the input into pin 3 it may work.

can anyone help with this???

heres the site for the metronome
http://www.ecelab.com/circuit-metronome.htm

and the one for the tremolo (its about halfway down the page)
http://www.members.shaw.ca/roma/vibrato.html
Quote by snouta
dude a tremolo doesnt cut the sound, it varies the pitch, hence why when you use a tremolo arm on a guitar the sound does not get cut but goes up and down in pitch..

Actually, that tremolo on the guitar, is actually a vibrato effect.

Tremolo is a change in amplitude. Meaning the volume varies. You play an E, and it goes quieter and back to normal. Vibrato is a change in pitch. Meaning the note changes. You play a E and it changes to a D then back to an E all with the same volume.

The trem arm on the guitar, shortens the scale length of the guitar reducing string tension which lowers the note. Therefore, your trem arm is really a vibrato arm. I believe fender started calling it this along time ago to avoid issues with one of the other companies who produced something being called a vibrato on their guitars. And this has just carried on.

So a tremolo does cut the sound. You do not really need help with a kill switch pedal, you are looking for help with a stutter pedal.

A tremolo pedal would be the direction to look for something like this. Or you could just look for stutter pedals. Or design one with some work, an IC with variable frequency generation capabilities along with a switching transistor and a few other parts, probably a buffer of some sort would be along the correct lines.
yeah ok, i like your explanation, thanks for that.

and i tried looking for a stutter pedal, but coudnt find much, but ill try to look harder, and im not after a tremolo pedal