Heres my review... I posted this on Harmony Central where I stay mostly but I figured you guys might be interested in the review also so here it is. Also if you want to read the harmony central thread and hear from a few other guys who have played it heres the link http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2232643

So I went to guitar center today. Went to either get the RGT and maybe a vypyr solid state or spend it all on the vypyr tube. I tried out the solid state and was not impressed. It did sound pretty good for a solid state amp but it wasn't a hell of a lot better than your line 6 spiders and what not.

SO I plug in the vypyr tube thinking this ain't gonna be great I'm gonna walk out of here with the guitar instead of this.

And wow.. This thing sounds amazing. It sounds exactly like my 6505 coming through a 1x12 speaker. I mean you cannot tell.

The noise gate issues are apparently fixed on this amp because using the clean channels there was no noise gate. So I got home plugged in and let me say... This amp is worth the 450 bucks EVEN IF you just use the clean channels.

I put it on the TWIN clean channel... This is where the two power tubes really shinned. It's been so long since I've heard a clean channel that warm and beautiful sounding. Since I mostly own high gain tube amps I haven't heard one like that in a while. I was amazed at the clean channel that I know I'll be playing a lot more clean stuff now. It's really warm and buttery. Really loud too without hurting your ears. It doesn't screech. Def my favorite part of this amp.

Now to the high gain... The JSX model does not sound like a JSX to me. But it does sound very good. The XXX model I don't know. I don't have a lot of experience with the XXX.

The 6505 model sounds Exactly like the 6505. You can even use the green or red channel of it. It also has a tube screamer that works well you can use. It has your pre and post gain just like the amp and then your master volume. They are coming out with a 6505 1x12 combo but I doubt it'll even sound much different than this thing. They did it very well. I will record clips tonight and you won't be able to tell it's not the actual 6505.

The 6505 and clean channels on the solid state version sounded okay. But it didn't sound like the real thing. It didn't have the warmth to it. The solid state ones would be damn good practice amps though. But this is really the ultimate practice amp.

Another plus I noticed... Although it's a tube power section it actually sounds really good at low volume too. This thing is amazing. Heres pics.

This thing is very big too. A LOT bigger than it looks in the pictures. A bit bigger than some 1x12 amps are. Here she is friends.... The USB also serves as a sound card interface so you can record direct with it. If you didn't know that.

Quote by samlocke14
looks pretty sick dude
my next piece of gear will either be one of these or a pod x3 pro

Get one of these man. The tube version is going to kill the pod pro. It sounds just like the actual tube amps it models. It is only 449 for the 60 watt which is really really loud. Loud enough to gig with even. But they have a 120 watt version also.

60 watts of tube is great. It sounds just like my 6505. You cannot tell the difference. The solid state vypyrs are not as well. It has an all tube power amp section in this thing. You get that warm buttery tube tone. Really loud and holds together like most tube amps.
What would the comparison be between this amp and the 120W?
Quote by N_J_B_B

My first lolstack!
Quote by Atlantis2112
What would the comparison be between this amp and the 120W?

Same tube power section. The 120 watt has two more power tubes. 120 watts of tube power is a LOT. My 6505 is 120 watt tube amp. It is way to loud to play in the bedroom. I can only use it with the band. Which is why I bought this vypyr at 60 watts. The 60 watts still gets really LOUD. But you can turn it down and sound good too.

To be honest with this amp you won't ever need over 60 watts. 60 watts with a tube amp is really loud. You could gig and get over a drummer easily with 60 watts of tube. The only way I would get 120 watts is if I was using it as my main amp with the band. But I use a peavey 6505 120 for that. I don't prefer to use modelers.

Basically this is the ultimate amp to have at home. Really it doesn't get any better than this in your bedroom.
Quote by SchecterZV
I don't think he likes us. He's a bit stereotypical.

What are you talking about? I'm lost. Where did that come from?
Looks sweet. I don't trust those tubes hanging from the top though.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Looks sweet. I don't trust those tubes hanging from the top though.

What? Why not? That's how the power tubes are in almost every combo amp out there. Including most fender amps, and like every other brand I can think of.

Most of the time the only time the tubes are not hanging from the top are in the head versions. They work fine upside down. They are not going to come out. Tubes are in well.

I'm not sure but if I'm not mistaken even the 5150 combo has them upside down right? I'm not sure about that one. But I know most every combo amp has them like this. No reason to not trust it. It's been that way for decades.
This amp looks pretty promising. I like the SS versions of the Vypyr. Great little practice amps.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
This amp looks pretty promising. I like the SS versions of the Vypyr. Great little practice amps.

Yeah the solid state one sounded good too. It just didn't sound like the real amp it was modeling but still good. The tube version sounded a lot like the real thing. Has that warm tube tone. Doesn't get any better for a bedroom amp.
I put it on the TWIN clean channel... This is where the two power tubes really shinned. It's been so long since I've heard a clean channel that warm and beautiful sounding. Since I mostly own high gain tube amps I haven't heard one like that in a while. I was amazed at the clean channel that I know I'll be playing a lot more clean stuff now. It's really warm and buttery. Really loud too without hurting your ears. It doesn't screech. Def my favorite part of this amp.
That's exactly what I like about my Vypyr 15. Most of that buttery clean is coming from the preamp modeling.
Quote by fly135
That's exactly what I like about my Vypyr 15. Most of that buttery clean is coming from the preamp modeling.

Well the preamp shapes the tone some but the buttery warm sound im getting is coming from the power tubes. That's what makes it sound like the real thing.

Try out the tube version and you'll see how it feels. The 15 doesn't even have a tube in the preamp does it? I mean the 15 sounds good for a practice amp no doubt but try the one with tubes in it and check out how warm it is.
I'm not sure I believe that a Vypyr tube sounds just like all the amps it's modeling....
That would be stupid.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I'm not sure I believe that a Vypyr tube sounds just like all the amps it's modeling....
That would be stupid.

Not all of them... But most of them. The 6505 it sounds just like. It has the same power section and tubes and they did it dead on. The twin model sounds a lot like the real thing too which is amazing.

I wouldnt believe it either.
Quote by pak1351
Why would you buy a 60W amp for home practice? Sure, it has power tubes, but if you're hardly going to push them...

because I do play loud for home practice. But sometimes I play low volume and yes it sounds amazing at lower volumes. They have worked out a system of post gain and master volume so you can get some tube saturation at low volumes. Try it out and see. Plus it still sounds better at low volume than the solid state version.

So the question to you... Why buy the solid state version at lower wattage if the 60 watt tube version sounds better at low volume?
Damn, I'm in the market for a home use tube amp, but I wasn't really considering this one until I read your review. Guess I'll have to check it out now. Hope I can play it side by side with that new Blackstar I've been wanting to try.
I was a little skeptical about that hybrid thing, but if you say it sounds exactly like a 6505 that cost over twice the price, I can't not try it out.
Nice cleans, but how does the distortion sound on it? Would you need pedals for the heavier stuff?
Fender Stratocaster (MIJ)
Ibanez SZ320EX
Seagull Artist Studio
Fernandes Orange Sonic OS-15
Line 6 UX-1
Last edited by benny p at Feb 10, 2009,
I've jammed ma Papa's 15 watt version with a Strat and a Les Paul with active pickups and its an insanely good amp for the money !

Everything is quality, and the FX are of high standard and all are adjustable. I'm a big fan.

Well done Peavey ! You can lose hours on it making presets that are actually worth listening too !!
does anyone know if the original speaker plays when you plug in and extension cabinet?
Quote by theoreticmusic
That would be stupid.

How would that be stupid? wouldn't that be a good thing?...
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
tnx for the write up....I think it is a killer amp for $450.

The headphone jack may not pick up the power tube tone but for home practice I think it is a nice feature - on a tube amp that is.

Also cheaper, more versatile, and more readily available over the new 6505 112.

v...........Oh crap!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 10, 2010,
Way to revive a dead thread, tryhonesty. This thread's from Feb 09.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I actually purchased mine from Sweetwater.com . Its tight because you can make 3 easy $150 payments instead, for that $449 + tax :-( , and that's over like 3 months...

Anyways, yea, this amp's waaay better than any of the SS Vypyr amps. It's no Mesa Boogie, but its incredible nonetheless. Besides Mesa's costs at least 3X the amount of this amp! The only thing that bothers me really is that it MUTE's the speakers, when you wanna record, so you gotta get some nice headphones, or decent ones at least, to get the most out of your recording.

But still, the quality Tube sound you get from this thang is amazing. If you got a budget of $500, here's your answer mate!
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
I'm kinda skeptical of the whole "it sounds just like my 6505". I tried a SS one it sounded okay for a practice amp but I would never gig with one. I gotta try the tube ones .
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Eventhough this thread is old...

I don't think the 6505 model sounds exactly like the 6505... In fact, I don't think any of the models really sound that close to any of the amps they're modeling, but they're great in their own way. The Recto model sounds amazing on these things IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
This thread is old, but I think I noticed why the 6505 model might sound exactly like the real 6505 to TS.
He has the gain at 3 o'clock. Anything above 12-1 o'clock completely destroys the tone on both the Vypyr's 6505-models and the real 6505.
So, if he has the 6505's EQ set exactly like the EQ of the Vypyr on the pictures, I wouldn't be surprised if the sounded the same or very close, unless Peavey drastically dropped the gain of the 6505 model on the tube Vypyrs.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JoePerry4life
I'm kinda skeptical of the whole "it sounds just like my 6505". I tried a SS one it sounded okay for a practice amp but I would never gig with one. I gotta try the tube ones .

Trust me, the difference is amazing. I personally haven't seen any on display in my Guitar Center or SamAsh Music stores, but Im in in Ca. If you do find one, crank it up!
And then play an SS afterwards,
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
The idea that valves only sound good if you push then hard is such a load of bollocks. Sure they sound good when pushed but they also sound good idling away too. The difference between a cranked valve amp and a cranked SS may be a lot more noticeable but at any volume the difference is still there.
HNAD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100