So i currently have a Vox valvetronix AD30VT. I play a lot of metal/punk/hard rock (Metallica/Killswitch/ACDC) and altho the clean on this amp is quite nice distorted with my metal muff it sounds like a bag of poop! I want to get an amp that I can pick up on ebay between £100 - £150 which will have an fx loop and possibly a good built in distortion. I am not sure about another hybrid like the valvetronix?! Do you think a solid state may fulfil my rock needs???

I run a Metal Muff, Dunlop wah, eq, noise gate, chorus, delay and tuner before the amp at the mo. all are true bypass bar 2. I used to have a Cube 30x and I quite liked the r-fier channel on it, had a nice crunch, good for metal, but the clean kinda sucked, but now i got my eq pedal i dont think it will be as much a problem. My problem is I want to get an amp really that I could use for small gigs and have considered the cube 60 but dont know if the distortion sounds are the same

Any one got any suggedtions??? Cheers, M.
Peavey Vypyr crossed your mind?

im not sure which model you would need for a small gig, i myself have the 30w and its extremely loud, i dont need it past 1 and a half when practicing at home.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
You're not going to be able to get a good amp that takes pedals for that amount of money really. Look into Valve Juniors, Blackhearts, things like that...but that's about it.
save more money, there's no point purchasing a succession of "ok" amps, none of which offer anything much different to the last one you had.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
He was thinking about a Cube 60x, the Vypyr 75 would be a better choice imo.

Quote by Danyg
Still not really a worthwhile upgrade in the greater scheme of things, especially considering he wants to use a load of pedals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by DiizZ
He was thinking about a Cube 60x, the Vypyr 75 would be a better choice imo.

But the pedal won't work well with it still...
read the post!!!! i stated that i am looking for an amp with a GOOD BUILT IN DISORTION. If the built in distortion is good then i would scrap the metal muff as it isnt all that great anyway. I am a student with minimal income so comments like "save up and get a valve or other such expensive amp that you cant really afford" comments aren't very helpful! Lets scrap the whole small gig thing!

I want an amp that is good for bedroom practice but isnt a bag of ****!!! something decent. Something around the same range as a Cube 30x.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
You're not going to get anything better than what you already have unless you at least double your budget.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If your absolutely determined to get a new amp get a Vypyr, their great for the price. People say this amp is FOR metal, which I personally disagree with, I've found it very versatile.it's better than the cube IMO, I've said this multiple times now.

Quote by Danyg
black star mini stack or combo
yes it may be a 5 watt amp
but you can get some proper loud sound from it
and the distortion as amazing for metal

but its like £300
Quote by steven seagull
You're not going to get anything better than what you already have unless you at least double your budget.

+1

The Vypyr MIGHT imrove your tone a bit but you'd be wasting your money and time.
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
i'll look into the vypyr, seems people just cant understand that I cannot afford a more expensive amp. I know there are good amps out there for reasonable prices.
...and you don't understand that there's no point buying something else just for the hell of it - if you want a worthwhile upgrade then you're going to have to save up.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by GNRjungle87
You're not going to be able to get a good amp that takes pedals for that amount of money really. Look into Valve Juniors, Blackhearts, things like that...but that's about it.

+1 for a Valve Junior.
I have the VOX you have and I love it. I actually think it's the complete opposite nice distortion but lack of sparkle in the clean. What exactly don't you like about the distortion? I don't know much about tube stuff but I heard you have to replace them though I obviously have never done that maybe it would help though. Maybe (this is only suggestion) you have unrealistic expectations of what a distortion sounds like. It's just I see people post on shred videos on youtube that ask what settings people use to get that sound (the very sharp bright sound) but I think it is more the fast playing that creates that sound, obviously the amp helps, but people on youtube don't seem to understand that really fast playing has a different tone that can't be replicated by amp setting (it took me a while to relize this too). Anyhow these are just my thoughts and your probably right the distortion probably isn't that great it just never struck me as bad. You could get a Vox XL they are meant to be better for metal. But you probably wouldn't be in the mood to get the exact same amp with different models. I wouldn't suggest going back to transistor only, I don't want to seem like a tube snob (which is probably a good thing when I only got a Vox Valvetronix) but I still can't help feeling that this would be a step in the wrong direction.
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Last edited by bpazolli at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by bpazolli
I have the VOX you have and I love it. I actually think it's the complete opposite nice distortion but lack of sparkle in the clean. What exactly don't you like about the distortion? I don't know much about tube stuff but I heard you have to replace them though I obviously have never done that maybe it would help though. Maybe (this is only suggestion) you have unrealistic expectations of what a distortion sounds like. It's just I see people post on shred videos on youtube that ask what settings people use to get that sound (the very sharp bright sound) but I think it is more the fast playing that creates that sound, obviously the amp helps, but people on youtube don't seem to understand that really fast playing has a different tone that can't be replicated by amp setting (it took me a while to relize this too). Anyhow these are just my thoughts and your probably right the distortion probably isn't that great it just never struck me as bad. You could get a Vox XL they are meant to be better for metal. But you probably wouldn't be in the mood to get the exact same amp with different models. I wouldn't suggest going back to transistor only, I don't want to seem like a tube snob (which is probably a good thing when I only got a Vox Valvetronix) but I still can't help feeling that this would be a step in the wrong direction.

Its not that the vox isnt a good distortion, it just isnt what i amm looking for. the vox amps are great dont get me wrong, very easy to use and very well built. I think what i really need is a real modelling amp with lots of options.

I have been looking into the Peavey vypyr amps as suggested and they look pretty **** hot. Basically I want a 30 watt-ish amp for bedroom practice that has bigger models so if i ever play a gig I will sell the 30 watt and buy the more powerful model. The Vypyrs have tube hybrid versions of their solid states 60 and 120 i believe too so id prob buy one of them. I checked a **** load of vieos and reviews and they seem to have what i am looking for down to a t. They have great sounds for clean and awesome distortion tones too. on top of that it has a midi out on th back which means i can run it into my computer and record via sonar.

I have landed a deal on ebay. A guy who is a main dealer said he would do me the vypyr 30 with the sanpera footswitch for £200, which i think is a pretty good deal.
save for a mesa boogie single recto, bout £700 used
OR

the epiphone so-cal 50h,
head is about £230, or 199 ex demo from gak,
25 or 50w valve switchable,

i reckon it could do what you need at a budget
I ordered a Vypyr 30 last night ad im now just waiting for it to arrive, I thought it would have come today but t hasn't, Sounds like what you need