MORBID ANGEL Guitarist Wants To Know: Is The Metal Scene Closed-Minded?

Page 1 of 3
MORBID ANGEL Guitarist Wants To Know: Is The Metal Scene Closed-Minded? - Feb. 5, 2009
Guitarist Trey Azagthoth (born George Emmanuel III) of Florida-based extreme metal legends MORBID ANGEL has posted the following message on his MySpace page:

"Is the metal scene closed-minded???? Well, is it????

"My purpose with this blog is that I have a desire to create some live performance concerts sometime in the future that include a set of MORBID ANGEL along with sets of the most extreme representitives of industrial, hardcore, terrorcore, jungle drum and bass etc DJs and groups. EXTREME MUSIC FOR EXTREME PEOPLE!!!! Right???

"Well, so it seems there are certain promoters and so-called 'authorities of the scene' who have some idea that such a gig won't work. Saying that metal people are narrow-minded and hate the various forms of hardcore DJ music for one reason or another. Is this true???

"People who know me know I am already a freaky freak artist and so then such an idea for crossing over such types of music is amazing. Exciting!!! As long as it's freakin' HARD-HITTING and SICK!!!!!!

"So... Why not, I ask.

"What is metal anyways???

"For me, 'metal' is for those who are bored with the constrictions and 'safe practices' of the mainsteam mentality, just like with any other socalled 'underground' scene or movement. Metal people wanna get mowed down by vicously sick melodies slamming over an arrangement of beats that twist the body and pull it in all directions. Freak them up. Metal, for me, is also about self-discovery. Not being sheep-like and playing 'follow the leader' but rather its about being free to express one's own ideas without the fear of ridicule. If there isn't any guts involved to challenge whatever is the current accepted patterns, then there isn't much in possibility for any new things to arise.

"What are metal lyrics even about if not about either breaking free from the dominion of some slavery-oppression, or the act of rejoicing in the pleasure of what people have passions about? Of course, there are also lyrics about fantasy and mind**** as well too. !!!=RAWR=!!!

"For me, it most certainly ISN'T about tribal-group mentality nor mainstream behavioral thinking. It's not about playing it safe either.

"What is the mentality of the mainstream??? Seems to me it's quite associated with sheepish behavoirs, placing value on 'fitting in and the approval of others' instead of the freedoms of self expression.

"What defines the term 'underground???' Isnt it when people place what they believe inside of themselves over what is supposedly supported in their exterior mainstream environment???

"What is the difference in fabricating a product and creating art????

"Where does 'trendy-ness' surface and what is it to be trendy?? Isn't it when people cannot find the source of certainties, direction and/or selfworth within themselves, especially as in those times when they are alone and not distracted, so therefore they need to base their certainties on how things reflect off of their external environment, including their peers?? Adjusting themselves to be considered favorable and to attract the approval of others outside of themselves???

"For some people in the world, the only thing 'real' is that which can be measured by the five mundane senses. For them, the inner workings are as some mysterious make believe which they sometimes play around with until any serious situation arises and then such things are placed back in the realm of 'make believe,' they, of course, fall back to earth and work from whichever foundation they find 'certainty' in, no??? Isn't this a formula based on the dependence of others, and if so, what does this have to do with the freedoms of such a thing as independence??? Where is the 'strength' in such a behaviour??? Is it just that maybe it's considered 'cool' and that's cool enough???

"OK, so the question is, do metal people only enjoy gigs with a metal-only billing??? Or do metal people also enjoy some crossover, as long as it's freakin' over-the-top EXTREME???? Does anyone even care??? Please chime in. I wanna hear from you."

Source: Blabbermouth

Discuss
I like extreme hardcore. Wouldn't turn my nose up at the other genres he mentioned.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Depends.
If I go to a prog metal gig, I don't mind hearing prog rock and folk and post-rock, but I wouldn't want to hear dub or RnB.
It's based on the situation.
Trey talks the most shite out of anyone I have ever heard, ever.

'death metal is about destroying the dilapidated paradigms that cloud my nine religions'

Maybe he should just stick to drinking chocolate milk and making savage music, instead of opening his mouth. Ever.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
In one word, Yes.

But then again there are idiots in all musical genres. The thing with metal idiots is that they like to voice in a more idiotic way than any other.

Examples are found all over this website. The old "Metallica vs Megadeth", Old Gn'R vs New Gn'R vs Velvet Revolver", "The Beatles vs Jesus"; the list goes on.

Music is the universal language that is supposed to unite people, yet the metal crowd is divided like buttcheeks. We all need to learn to STFU.
Don't buy Guitar Hero.
Buy Guitar Pro.

My Gear: (That I actually use)

ESP Edwards E-CY-165 CTM
Vox Saturator
Vox AD50VT
Vox Tonelab LE
Jim Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MonsterOfRock needs to learn to shut the fuck up.

That post made about this must sense: ZERO

What the hell do we metalheads have to do with a "The Beatles vs Jesus" thread you nonsense-making bastard!
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

He's a bit too "extreme" for me. And no, seems like a pretty ****ty gig in my opinion.

Kind of reminds me of those guys from 'Harold & Kumar go to Whitecastle'.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Quote by MonsterOfRock
In one word, Yes.

But then again there are idiots in all musical genres. The thing with metal idiots is that they like to voice in a more idiotic way than any other.

Examples are found all over this website. The old "Metallica vs Megadeth", Old Gn'R vs New Gn'R vs Velvet Revolver", "The Beatles vs Jesus"; the list goes on.

Music is the universal language that is supposed to unite people, yet the metal crowd is divided like buttcheeks. We all need to learn to STFU.

missed the point much?

After reading that article it seems Trey is a bit closed minded himself, He doesn't seem to try at all to see the other point of view, a tad hypocritical if you ask me.

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Quote by ItWillDo
He's a bit too "extreme" for me. And no, seems like a pretty ****ty gig in my opinion.

Kind of reminds me of those guys from 'Harold & Kumar go to Whitecastle'.

What, you mean Harold & Kumar?

I think such a gig would be pretty challenging.... to make it all the way through. And I doubt that a live scenario is the best way to be introduced to a completely new style of extreme music

Yes, many of us are close minded; at least in the context of an event like this. If I go to see death metal, I want to see death metal. Not "hardcore" or DJ based music. I like a lot of genres ranging from jazz to folk to indie rock to variations of metal; but not merged together under one heading of "extreme." Hardcore music is obnoxious and too power chord laden, and DJ based music is hardly music at all. If Morbid Angel wants to perform with those people, they should consider making an album that has some DJing on it.
Check out Hear the Indie for music reviews, interviews, and more.

Want a review? Send me a PM or email through the contact form on my site.
I hate it when people use so many question and exclamation marks!!!! Am I right?????
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Ulalume
Yes, many of us are close minded; at least in the context of an event like this. If I go to see death metal, I want to see death metal. Not "hardcore" or DJ based music. I like a lot of genres ranging from jazz to folk to indie rock to variations of metal; but not merged together under one heading of "extreme." Hardcore music is obnoxious and too power chord laden, and DJ based music is hardly music at all. If Morbid Angel wants to perform with those people, they should consider making an album that has some DJing on it.

Why?

I think you're right though, probably not good to have them all in one. I like cheese and I like chocolate but I wouldn't eat a cheese n chocolate sandwich

^x2 haha yer i thought that

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
Trey and Patrick Mameli will team up with the Berzwerker for some rapfunkcore with jungle beats, with REAL monkeys, straight from the jungle. Wait and see.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Quote by MHDrunk
What, you mean Harold & Kumar?

I think such a gig would be pretty challenging.... to make it all the way through. And I doubt that a live scenario is the best way to be introduced to a completely new style of extreme music

No no, not Harold and Kumar :P. You know, those guys from the first movie who were all like "EXTREME YEAAAAHHAAHHA".

These guys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO2Abp0FbA0

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Honestly, yes, the metal scene is very closed minded. But what music scene ISN'T closed minded? How many times has anyone ran into a Jazz Purist who believes that the only real genre of music is Jazz? What about anyone outside of the metal scene trying to describe metal as "RAH RAH RAH! KILL CHICKENS! KILL SMALL CHILDREN! DRINK THEIR BLOOD! RAH RAH RAH!"?
So much idiocy in one thread....
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
By the way, when he says hardcore and terrorcore or whatever, he's not talking about hardcore like the other thread we have in the B&A forum, he's talking about breakcore.

Lots of people compare breakcore and Metal because of the aggression, speed, mosh pits, etc... in both genres of music, but at the end of the day breakcore is a DJ doing a set, and Metal is a band playing live music from their respective instruments. They don't really sound anything alike because you also have DJ's that do reggaecore, speedcore, and whatever else they've "cored" up.

Breakcore is also way, WAY too fast for me.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Trey must have an abundance of punctuation he's trying to get rid of.

Anyway, I like metal, I like a lot of electronic stuff but I wouldn't really like all of that at one show.
I like metal, I like hardcore punk, I like industrial, I like hardcore techno, I like drum and bass... this sounds like a frikkin' sweet idea.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Hell yes, I would absolutely check that gig out!!!! Am I right????

No, but seriously, I would love to go to a gig like that, as long as I knew what it was going to be beforehand!
Quote by Stranglehold
Trey talks the most shite out of anyone I have ever heard, ever.

'death metal is about destroying the dilapidated paradigms that cloud my nine religions'

Maybe he should just stick to drinking chocolate milk and making savage music, instead of opening his mouth. Ever.

fuckin a

dudes overrated anyway
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Last edited by rebeltildeth87 at Feb 5, 2009,
I think it sounds like a great idea.

I like going to gigs with lots of variety.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Vittu0666
Honestly, yes, the metal scene is very closed minded. But what music scene ISN'T closed minded? How many times has anyone ran into a Jazz Purist who believes that the only real genre of music is Jazz? What about anyone outside of the metal scene trying to describe metal as "RAH RAH RAH! KILL CHICKENS! KILL SMALL CHILDREN! DRINK THEIR BLOOD! RAH RAH RAH!"?

I was going to say the exact same thing. The amount of metalheads who won't listen to something because it's *insert genre* is the same as any other music scene (except most of them say "No, it's metal and I don't listen to metal."

However, I would definitely see this gig. I love live music of all kinds (I recently went to a Sarah Slean concert with my girlfriend and really enjoyed it even if I can't listen to her on CD).
Personally, I'd settle for a non-****ty album from Morbid Angel, and not worry about the rest. It's been 18 years boys, could you worry less about the peripheral stuff and more about finally following up Blessed are the Sick in the manner it deserves?
I personally would not be interested in a show like this. The rare time I delve into anything electronic, it's DnB and I have to be in a specific mood for it. It's not because I dislike it. I would just rather go to a Morbid Angel show and see other metal acts open up for them. How are you going to mosh to that sort of stuff anyway? You might just stand there and watch, but how exciting can watching a DJ be?

As awesome as Morbid Angel are/were, I think Trey is still stuck in his little elitist bubble, where only music that doesn't conform to norms tickles his fancy. Something tells me he's one of those "Xtreme" people who can't appreciate non-extreme artforms.

If I were to ever attend a gig like this, it'd have to be a festival and it would have to have a lot more variety and dynamics to it. I want some cool jazz, some bluegrass, some ambient, classical, etc.
I've found Jesus
I dunno - he has consistently praised Mozart over the years. Bach as well. His own lead style borrows heavily from Van Halen. I think it's more that the guy is a little "autistic" in that he's socially awkward to a rather substantial degree.
I like Trey a lot; best death metal guitarist ever. But that was a hell of a dumb read. He better not go Cryptopsy on us.

He should focus on making the I album not suck instead of delving into electronic music. Heretic was very mediocre and uninspired.

I hope he keeps that kind of stuff separate from Morbid Angel. There's no harm in making that kind of music under a different name, but for the love of Enlil, leave MA as a death metal band.
Last edited by AzureNight at Feb 5, 2009,
fuckin a

dudes overrated anyway
GTFO. You probably don't even listen to metal. Trey is in no way overrated.
Quote by AzureNight
GTFO. You probably don't even listen to metal. Trey is in no way overrated.

lol
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
In my experience, casual metal listeners are so closed-minded that their opinions of other types of music are ignorant and toeing the border of retardation, but the average metal musician is the most open-minded person you'll ever meet.
Quote by Contraband
I personally would not be interested in a show like this. The rare time I delve into anything electronic, it's DnB and I have to be in a specific mood for it. It's not because I dislike it. I would just rather go to a Morbid Angel show and see other metal acts open up for them. How are you going to mosh to that sort of stuff anyway? You might just stand there and watch, but how exciting can watching a DJ be?

As awesome as Morbid Angel are/were, I think Trey is still stuck in his little elitist bubble, where only music that doesn't conform to norms tickles his fancy. Something tells me he's one of those "Xtreme" people who can't appreciate non-extreme artforms.

If I were to ever attend a gig like this, it'd have to be a festival and it would have to have a lot more variety and dynamics to it. I want some cool jazz, some bluegrass, some ambient, classical, etc.

People mosh to gabber and to DHC, why not mosh to DnB?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
People mosh to gabber and to DHC, why not mosh to DnB?

That's not necessarily what I am getting. I think it's a safe bet to assume that most Morbid Angel fans aren't going to know wtf to do. But beforehand, that most of them wouldn't go to a gig like this.
I've found Jesus
I'd love to see something like this!
And does anyone find it a bit weird that one of the grandfathers of death metal writes using the word "RAWR"?
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Yeah Trey's RAWR usage is a tad unsettling

Page 1 of 3