So I recently put some .10's on my strat and had to resetup my guitar for them. They were ernie balls and so, of course, they broke after a week, but I didn't like them so I threw the .09's back on and I reset up my guitar, but now the low e string is buzzing like crazy. I can only get it to stop if I raise it a couple millimeters above the rest of the strings, and overall the action still seems higher than it was before I put the .10's on. Any suggestions??
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
when you say resetup, do you mean truss rod adjustments as well?

and were is the buzz, at all frets, or only at certain frets?
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by austinb0309
They were ernie balls and so, of course, they broke after a week

i thought EB were good?
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Go to a store and get it professionally set up for 9-42s.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
stick with the setup for 10's, but buy a set of decent strings. i tried EBs once and didnt like them, i get on well with fender bullets. it's worth going to 10's the tone is much better than 9's.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
if you want 9's then measure your necks relief and make sure your bridge is balanced.

for info how to do this, click on the green link in my sig, read the first post. measure and post back here for instruction.

if you want 10's. then personally i like DRs and Dadds.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks a lot guys, .10s are good, but I have this stupid mental thing with them that the action will always be too high. I like Bullets and DR Tite-Fits a lot, should I just go to guitar center and buy a set of either and have them set it up? I think they owe me a free setup because I just bought my guitar a month ago or something like that

EDIT: The buzz is on almost all the frets starting at the 5th on the low e
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
Last edited by austinb0309 at Feb 5, 2009,
Strange. The only way this is possible is if your neck has no relief. I'm guessing when you readjusted back to the 9's, you didnt loosen your truss rod enough and so the neck became too straight or even convex, whereas before it probably had a little relief.

Fret your low E string on the 1st and 17th fret, and tell us if there is a gap between the string and the 8th fret. Im guessing there isnt.
Yup, there's virtually no space between the 8th fret and the string (less than a millimeter), good call. So do I just need to adjust my truss rod??
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1
Yep, just barely tweak your truss rod (like an 1/8th turn) and remeasure. Repeat until you are happy with the relief....try starting with the thickness of high E (so about .010" of relief) and that probably will have rid the buzz.
Quote by dr_john
stick with the setup for 10's, but buy a set of decent strings. i tried EBs once and didnt like them, i get on well with fender bullets. it's worth going to 10's the tone is much better than 9's.

This is all in his opinion of course ive been using EB's since I started playing and havent had any problems.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by austinb0309
Yup, there's virtually no space between the 8th fret and the string (less than a millimeter), good call. So do I just need to adjust my truss rod??

if you can't fit a credit card in the middle relief, then turn the truss rod Counter Clockwise, up to a 1/4 turn.

dont force the turn,
and leave the guitar in tune, letting it settle.

dont adjust it any more than that today.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
This is all in his opinion of course ive been using EB's since I started playing and havent had any problems.

i didn't say i had any problems with EBs, i just didn't like them. it's all a matter of personal taste.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
i've tried ebs a bunch of times. they seemed to break easily.

just my experience.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks a lot for the help guys I'll try that. And in my experience Ernie Balls don't last more than a week and I'm not too happy about dropping 5 bucks every week but that's just me
Guitars
Fender American Strat
Gibson SG

Amps & Effects

Fender Superchamp XD
Digitech RP-3
Boss SD-1