I'm learning more about how all this works: The connection between Power Amp and the Speaker seems to by a deadzone where everyone says everything. Lets keep it simple now. Ohms DO NOT MATTER because we KNOW that an amp can't really operate outside of a 2-16 OHM range, all amps are diffrent and so are speakers for that matter.

Overpowering: 1x 100W Amp -> 1x 50W Speaker

Normal: 1x 100W Amp -> 1x 100W Speaker

Underpowering: 1x 50W Amp -> 1x 100W Speaker

For the people:
1: Why do people use each? Does it give a better sound? Help with volume? Help not destroy the speaker? the Ideal ratio between Amp and Speaker WATTS? How can you damage your speaker or your amp?

2: The DANGERS of each, the do's and don'ts.

Lets get some nice clear information on this thread!
• Ibanez RG1570
Dunstan Distortion (Bridge)
Standard V7 (Middle)
Air Norton (Neck)
011 Strings Drop C
• Peavy XXL 100W
• SM58 Mic
Last edited by FlakKer at Feb 5, 2009,
In terms of matching ohms, 4 ohms can go into 8 ohms safely, but you will get a reduction in power, and thus volume.

However, you can't match the opposite way round - 8 ohms into 4 ohms is liable to damage the output transformer.

So, aslong as the resistance of the speaker is matched to or higher than the impedance of the amp, you're okay, but will experience power loss - though I have read that higher speaker resistance can wear an amp out quicker, anyone clarify/dismiss this?

I don't particularly know a lot about wattage, but you will find that a lot of heads will be running underpowered through a 4x12 - so underpowering is safe.
Last edited by Mathamology at Feb 5, 2009,
Go to the columns, in gear maintenance there is an article on 'matching amps and speakers' which should answer all your questions. If not pm me or leave a question under the column if you don't mind waiting.

Cheers