I already have a EHX Metal Muff and would like recommendations on other pedal to add to my repertoire, I'm thinking off getting a chorus, delay and a reverb pedal, are there any other pedals you think I might need? Maybe compressor (which im not sure what it does), noise reduction, and any other suggestions?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
A noise reducer like the ISP Decimator would be a great pedal to have. Or an EQ like the MXR 10-band.
+ 100000000 on the eq... IMO i think every guitar player should own one
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
What amp do you have?
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
What amp do you have?

It's in his sig.

TS: a delay is also a good pedal to have...so is a chorus. Although you might not use a chorus much in thrash metal. For delays I'd recommend the MXR carbon copy for an analog delay...or the EHX Echo #1 for a digital delay.
Quote by eyebanez333
It's in his sig.

TS: a delay is also a good pedal to have...so is a chorus. Although you might not use a chorus much in thrash metal. For delays I'd recommend the MXR carbon copy for an analog delay...or the EHX Echo #1 for a digital delay.

Touché.

I'm gunna just say it seems pointless spending money on pedals with that amp, but I'll probably get flamed coz "that's not the question" so whatever.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Touché.

I'm gunna just say it seems pointless spending money on pedals with that amp, but I'll probably get flamed coz "that's not the question" so whatever.

Yeah I try to stay on topic so I don't piss people off. But yeah, the amp is something that will need replaced in the long run.
Compression is a type of effect that should be so transparent that you wouldn't know it's there just by listening. so you should really know what it does and how it works before you decide (IF) you need it.

Do some research on it, then decide. In the meantime, I would get a noise gate (+1 for the ISP Decimator), then a Wah.

The EQ on the Metal Muff is very dynamic and it hits the signal post-distortion (pre-top boost if you have that version) - So I wouldn't worry about an EQ until I got a few more pedals... or and amp with an effects loop.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 5, 2009,
Great, thx guys. About the chorus wouldn't it be useful to customize my lead tone in a way or is it never used constantly when playing leads?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
Great, thx guys. About the chorus wouldn't it be useful to customize my lead tone in a way or is it never used constantly when playing leads?

I use my chorus mainly for clean sections. I recommend the EHX Small Clone...great sounding chorus and they go on ebay for $45 USD all the time.
I personally use a boss noise supressor and compressor/sustainer & wah. Next up on list of things to improve my metal soundz would be an EQ. I'm also on a waiting list to have an overdrive pedal made for me.

I haven't been able to use a flanger or phaser effectively, but I imagine it can be done listening to the intro of Children of Bodom's "Chokehold (Cocked 'n' Loaded)" I just have to play around with it more.

Chorus on cleans is very meh to me; It becomes difficult to hit multiple stompboxes in a song transition depending on the speed.

Never been able to use delay effectively in thrash! And I think an envelope filter would be damn near impossible to use without sounding like a mess.
Reverb and delay for thrash, I wouldnt (and don't).

Chorus yes, for cleans. EQ I cant say I have experience with (pedals) but it sounds like a good idea.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11