I've done as much reading as possible about amps and I have a few questions. I have no interest in playing Gig's, however, i might someday play with a live drummer. Otherwise, 95% of the time I am playing in my home. I currently have a Fender G-Dec Junior modeling amp that has been pretty fun and great for learning. I am looking to switch to a tube amplifier. I was originally looking at the Peavey Delta Blues 110, but finally found out that a 30 watt tube amp would be way overkill for my needs. So, I am looking at something between 5 & 15 Watts I guess. I see a lot of people on here recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior, which is a very basic amp. My questinos are all effects related...

If I buy a valve junior, can I "Add" any kind of effects in I want by buying pedals? Will the use of pedals effect the "tube quality" of the amp?

I have a Boss BR 600 recorder that has loads of effects built into it. Can I use this device as my effects loop, will that negate the "tube sound"?

I enjoy playing with a variety of effects, but i'm really looking to step it up in sound. Should I be just ditching the tube amp idea and going with Solid state?

I'll take all recommendations seriously, thank you so much for your input!
look at the epiphone custom blues 30
can switch it from 30 to 15watts and is a very nice amp
I prefer Blackheart Little Giants to EVJs. The new Blackstar HT-5s are worth a look as well.

You can add any effects you want with pedals, but cheap ones will suck tone and negatively effect your sound regardless of whether they are on or off.

Using your BR600 is not a good idea.

If you like effects, I'd seriously recommend giving the HT-5 a look. I think tubes will do well for you.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Feb 5, 2009,
any digital stuff will sound digital no matter what but thats not necessarily a bad thing. i have no problems personally with digital delay, reverb, and modulation effects. i find its mainly the distortion and touch sensitive dynamic range that make the tubes oh so sweet and as long as youre not using solid state to get your distortion or very cheap tone coloring FX the tube amp still sound tube. as for amp selections i would suggest a 15 watt combo if you want to play with a drummer and bassist. blackheart makes 5 and 1 watt amps that are great for getting raging tube overdrive at home practice appropriate volumes and youre right that you dont want too much power because you have to run a tube amp about halfway to 2/3 up the volume range at least to hit the "sweet spot". however a little 5 watt combo is going to be at its witts end trying to keep up with acoustic drums. with a 15 watt combo you wont have to get too loud (keep in mind im talking not pissing off roomates or getting the cops called not silent midnight practice) to give it some room to breathe and it will give you a little overhead for when playing along with acoustic drums.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
any digital stuff will sound digital no matter what but thats not necessarily a bad thing. i have no problems personally with digital delay, reverb, and modulation effects. i find its mainly the distortion and touch sensitive dynamic range that make the tubes oh so sweet and as long as youre not using solid state to get your distortion or very cheap tone coloring FX the tube amp still sound tube. as for amp selections i would suggest a 15 watt combo if you want to play with a drummer and bassist. blackheart makes 5 and 1 watt amps that are great for getting raging tube overdrive at home practice appropriate volumes and youre right that you dont want too much power because you have to run a tube amp about halfway to 2/3 up the volume range at least to hit the "sweet spot". however a little 5 watt combo is going to be at its witts end trying to keep up with acoustic drums. with a 15 watt combo you wont have to get too loud (keep in mind im talking not pissing off roomates or getting the cops called not silent midnight practice) to give it some room to breathe and it will give you a little overhead for when playing along with acoustic drums.

So basically, you are saying that if I buy a tube amp and hook any solid state effects up that I will "lose" tube quality? If I want lots of effects I have to spend another $1000.00 in order to get 5 high quality pedals? I would like a Wah, distortion, blues, delay and other pedal.
Quote by mdh2861
So basically, you are saying that if I buy a tube amp and hook any solid state effects up that I will "lose" tube quality? If I want lots of effects I have to spend another $1000.00 in order to get 5 high quality pedals? I would like a Wah, distortion, blues, delay and other pedal.

No...that's not what he's saying. Certain effects are analog, while others are digital. Most distortions (excluding modelers) are analog. Wahs are analog. Delays can be either analog or digital. Nothing except an extremely cheap pedal is going to ruin your tube sound.

If you get a decent amp, you won't need a Blues driver, and you probably won't need a disto.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
No...that's not what he's saying. Certain effects are analog, while others are digital. Most distortions (excluding modelers) are analog. Wahs are analog. Delays can be either analog or digital. Nothing except an extremely cheap pedal is going to ruin your tube sound.

If you get a decent amp, you won't need a Blues driver, and you probably won't need a disto.

But I DO want to make sure the pedals that I purchase are analog correct? I am assuming my BOSS BR600 effects are 100% digital?
Quote by mdh2861
But I DO want to make sure the pedals that I purchase are analog correct? I am assuming my BOSS BR600 effects are 100% digital?

You need to trust your ear. Not all fx are created equal and have their own specific voice. I actually prefer digital stereo delay over analog and to say make sure everything is analog is just bad advice. Analog is the way to go in most cases, but not all. Try before you buy. You may be surprised at what you like and don't like based on recommendations here.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The Peavey Classic 30's are good. The Crate V50 combos are cool. My fav is the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The distortion on the HRD isn't great but the clean is awesome and its loud!
AL
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

bull****. i stopped reading after the first sentence.

ever heard a Hughes and kettner zentera ? you would have a lot of trouble telling it apart from a good tube amp.
Don't be concerned about wattage. You won't be able to crank a 15 watt amp anymore than a 30 watt amp, and you'll only be able to crank a 5 watter just a bit more.

Go try some amps and pick what you like based on tone, wattage is irrelevant (unless you know you want nothing but powertube distortion.

I won't argue that tube amps sound their best cranked, that doesn't mean they sound bad at lower volumes. I will take a tube amp at low volumes over an SS amp every frickin time
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not