Hi i will soon buy a new guitar. I'm thinking about buying ltd m 400. I play metal, i can spend no more than 600 and i now have a ibanez rgr321ex. i dont really need a floyd rose and they are a pain in the a55 but i already have a guitar which i can keep in E tuning so maybe it will work fine for me. Also i will need to buy studio monitors. I can give nothing more than 100 dollars for that so m-audio av 20 s will be good? i will buy it to play it with a toneport ux1...how will it suit to play with guitar? will it be able to give good bass and trebles (and mids) or will it be muddy and bad?
Take the guitar question to the guitar forum. The M-Audios will be fine.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Monitors aren't suited to a particular guitar or style of music, they're supposed to be a good representation of the entire audio spectrum. In other words, they're neutral. Those will work fine, you'll likely be surprised at how good music sounds out of it, compared to a traditional stereo or ipod.
Don't cheap out on monitors if you're serious. A good set of monitors will be an investment.
------------------
Yea but i dont have much money at the moment. My concern is if the bass and mids and trebles sound muddy because the AV 20 looks small. I use a small creative speaker and it sucks.
They'll be fine for the price, but don't expect greatness.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Im not trying to get the greatest tone of all time. just the sound of ux1 and also good bass mids and trebles cos when i crank the mids and trebles it just sounds like sh1t
the quality of the monitors is mainly dependant on neutral sound. most speakers for home audio or whatever have enhanced bass and trebble response for clarity and a "high def" type sound but when mixing that can throw you off by making what youre working with sound better than it is or just different than it is. the biggest thing to worry about if youre concerned with the quality of the mix you make with the speakers is a flat response from low to high.
I would try and save at least $300 for the monitors because you will probably want to upgrade the m-audio ones fairly soon after you get them. You can get some quality KRK5 for $300.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
No way i can buy a 300 dollar monitor. I just want to practice at home with a tone that is satisfying thats all.
Quote by blind.quardian
No way i can buy a 300 dollar monitor. I just want to practice at home with a tone that is satisfying thats all.

I would go the headphone route than and not get monitors. Check out these. I have a pair of these and they sound great.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD280-Pro-ClosedBack-Headphones?sku=242411
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Well ok lets see what others say about headphones. Ive also got a very very cheap one and it has funny trebles and mids. very low quality. I can buy headphones it will be better actually. if i want to use it as an amp i can just open the volume a lot and it will give some sound like the speakers so yea what are your comments on headphones?

Edit: damn they are very expensive in my country is there a cheaper alternative for it or will be a really bad headphone if its below 100 dollars?
Last edited by blind.quardian at Feb 5, 2009,
Those are open back headphones you would be better off with closed back. The difference is that the open back headphones will let a lot of noise out. This is mainly an issue when recording. If you will not be doing much recording than you can go with the open backed ones which will be cheaper and technically sound a little better although that particular pair doesn't have the frequency range of the closed back. Hope that helps.
Well my recordings will be with toneport ux1 which records directly with usb so i will only use headphones to practice. I will plug it into the headphone input of ux1. Also does these headphones come with a converter for jack inputs?
Personally I hate playing with headphones on, I have some Audio Technica Studiophones, that are comfy and sound great but it still bothers me after about 10 mins. I only use them for recording.
Quote by Led man32
I would go the headphone route than and not get monitors. Check out these. I have a pair of these and they sound great.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-HD280-Pro-ClosedBack-Headphones?sku=242411

me too.
best $100 dollars spent.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My hd280 pair does come with a converter and according to the sennheiser website so does the HD485 pair.
Since i cant spend that kind of money to get good sound out of a 70 dollar toneport i will probably get some headphones. i liked hd 280s but hd485 is nearly half the price in my country. i dont know why:/
Ive checked the prices and the headphone is really really expensive here. twice the price of a used toneport. ( prices are like 2-3x in my country) so maybe just a flat response good quality set of headphones will do fine. what you think about it?

How is this model? http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/product.html?ReadForm&path=private_headphones_wired-headphones&product=005176&row=2

Its %80 cheaper than hd 280 pro.
Last edited by blind.quardian at Feb 5, 2009,
Yeah those would work nicely.
Quote by blind.quardian
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sony-MDRV900HD-Studio-Monitor-Series-Stereo-Headphones-?sku=240167 I found this used for the price of a new hd 202 dunno why but it seems like sony is a lot cheaper here. is it a good one should i get it?

definitely do it.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer