Hey guys its been awhile since I have asked anything from you,but now i need your help.And yes I did use the search bar!
Anyways I have read the stickies and it still didnt cover what i need to know so I have a couple of questions
1. Exactly how hard should one pick to get a good strong cutting tone while shredding?I have tried angling my pick but it keeps getting caught on the upstroke,so i tried goin parellel with the string and that just tends to make me get to much tension in my picking

2.Michael Angelo Batio uses the term PPS-potential picking speed-and I can do tremolo fast I mean super fast but I just cant seem to get my hands synched I think part of my problem is I played for about 3-4 YRs without any real picking technique i did the arm spazz thing and we all know what that will get us....slop!So my question is beings i played at super speed using trem picking and lets my fret hand do w/e and played unsynched is it gonna be impossible for me to learn to play super fast and in sync unlike say a beginner who has to build their picking speed from the ground up cause they dont have any speed yet or will this just make my journey to become a great shredder just more difficult?

Also I practice everyday(beings I been laid off )so I know practice helps but before i started working I practiced anywhere from 3-10 hrs a day and once o started working it went down to maybe 1-2 hrs every 3-4 days and due to that lack of practice what ever progress I had made has been lost now so that could be part of my problem but still any answers and picking tips would be very helpful and appreciated
being able to play "super fast" but out of synch is worthless, don't be fooled into thinking it gives you a head start because it doesn't. All that matters is how fast you can pick ACCURATELY.

Having said that it's not going to give you a particular disadvantage either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 5, 2009,
How fast? Give me NPS or 16ths at BPM.

Ive also had the spazmatic arm problem (I Blame god damn guitar hero) But its getting fixed little by little. It doesn't impair me much, and I do fine for what I do, but If you use your arm for alternate picking it puts a cap on how fast you can go. But Im trying to fix it, like I said.
Oh I know if anything it feels like a disadvantage anyways I been practicing technique for about 18 or so months and i can play 16ths at about 150-170 on a good day i can play quick burst at 180 or so.But most typical days its not tht good.
life is brutal: Before I started working and had 10 hrs a day to practice i was near 15nps but dont play for about 2 months and see where that gets you I guess lol
But now im sitting around 10-11.5 nps atleast but I want to be able to nail my !5nps scales again
Quote by Metal Society

1. Exactly how hard should one pick to get a good strong cutting tone while shredding?I have tried angling my pick but it keeps getting caught on the upstroke,so i tried goin parellel with the string and that just tends to make me get to much tension in my picking

As hard as necessary to get the dynamics and volume you need. If your pick is getting caught, you most likely have some issues with how you're picking.

I've seen one of Batio's videos about picking. Frankly, I think he's a fairly worthless source to learn from. He's more concerned with looking impressive. He doesn't really give you any insights that are going to help you much and I got the distinct impression his "teachings" are more to elevate himself than teach. He's very talented, but a very good example of great players don't necessarily make great teachers.

Of all the video's on picking I've seen, Ney Mello's is about the best. Jimmy Bruno's is pretty good. Frank Gambale's -- ok. I haven't seen a truly great one yet, but Mello's gives the best overall treatment.
While NPS, BPM, etc matter...those who know me will be rolling their eyes because here it comes again.

It's like working out. How many of these guys greased up in these bulging bicep magazines are truly "in shape" as in strong, all-around healthy people?

You'd probably be surprised how few truly have a balanced approach to health, etc.

Being the fastest you can possibly be is great, but don't fool yourself (or potentially hurt yourself) trying to achieve it.

Make it a component of your playing you work to get better and better day by day: not 12 hours a day of non-stop metronome chromatics!!!!

That will get you major surgery and you'll probably never play guitar again.

Instead, just play until you find something that is difficult for you: at the beginning it might be a Nirvana riff (don't laugh, we've all been there), later maybe a Kirk Hammett lead. I busted my balls learning Hanger 18, particularly Marty's bits...

But you find parts that you JUST CAN'T PLAY!!!! Arrgh.

Slow it down to retardedly slow speed and play it accurately. Be disciplined about this!!!

Seriously, just because you nail it at 2 BPM doesn't mean launch into 148 BPM. Bump it up to 10. 15. 25.

Catch my drift?

Every time you find yourself stuck in a solo there is something to learn. It will come up over and over and over again. Get it right in Hangar 18, there it will be in Children of Bodom or Pantera! Different key, maybe, but the same technique.

The metronome is good for maintaining your rhythm, but don't rely on it soley. If you have the ability to record then do it!!

I recommend playing along with a met recording a rhythm part. The closer you can get to the real band/real tracking experience the better.

No one..NO ONE plays to a metronome for a living.

Play to an actual recording of music or other musicians if at all possible. There is no replacement for a patient teacher. My teacher probably played the rhythm part for Hangar 18 about 1000 times for me.

Good guy.

I bet you will find it much harder to play along with a real guitar than the metronome.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Er, hard to sound like you're picking hard, soft to sound like you're picking softly. Choose. Angle is another thing you have to experiment with and choose.

is it gonna be impossible for me to learn to play super fast and in sync unlike say a beginner who has to build their picking speed from the ground up cause they dont have any speed yet or will this just make my journey to become a great shredder just more difficult?

You'll just have to be careful not to fall into those bad habits again.

And, er, read the sticky.
I have decided to pick hard because it produces maximum attack it gives that popping shred sound Im after but my question is when you pick hard is there any amount of tension in your wrist whatsoever cause when I pick hard there is a slight tension but that is so I am able to hit the string hard.
You should feel like your wrist muscles are working (but not stiff), but you shouldn't feel any stiffness in your hand or forearm. It is harder to pick fast and hard, because the extra work will tend to make your elbow tense up unless you pay close attention.
As far as I can tell the only tension is within my wrist but its more like its a working tension,kinda like im pushing the pick through the strings.I have tried picking lighter but it just dont sound like what Im after in terms of sound.I want the Gilbert/Petrucci tone where its so cutting and projective so am I on the right path by picking hard ?
I dont want to be a nuisance freepower but you are the technique God of UG so I have one more question( likely your answer may cause me to have another but lets hope not lol)
anyways is it ok to feel a bit of soreness in my wrist because of starting to pick harder its kind of like working out right when you first start your gonna feel it for a while but as your muscles adapt to the stress you dont really feel sore anymore am I right?
Yes, as long as you're careful that your movement is actually loose - it can be powerful, but don't let any other part of your wrist, hand or arm tense up - it should come from the same muscles as picking lightly, just harder.
Ok thanks FP Im sure its gonna take some experimenting to get it totally right then
+1 to pretty much everything freepowers said

theres a difference between tension and just throwing a little extra force in. you should still be able to play feasibly for quite a while (all things being relative) with no pain or fatigue. once your hand gets fatigued then rest it
lmao u learn the hard way ?
anyways thanks guys it all helps see cause i didnt have time to play much while workin most the time i kind of forgot my technique a bit but its all comin back now thanks guys you all helped alot
Um are you keeping the pick bent the same way? Quite honestly when I sweep I do it kind of like the fence painting in karate kid haha

Edit: the same way for both up and downstrokes (I wasn't very clear)

Please use tags for tabs....
Last edited by Camdon at Feb 9, 2009,