I've just been offered one of these in Road Flare red for £600 in MINT condition, these are limited edition and only 1987 were made

For those of you who don't know what model I'm referring to here it is

http://www.nme.com/video/id/EWLNPk2U1Io/search/ibanez

It comes with the case/pick/strap etc

Does £600 sound about right?

I'd replace the pickups with a Tone zone, True Velvet and a Air Norton
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Feb 5, 2009,
Anyone?
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
How similar is it to this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-Prestige-RG770-Electric-Guitar?sku=500151

?

That's a pretty darn good guitar, I'd pay $1,200 for it (USD). Is the 550 also Prestige? What is the fretboard (video wouldn't load for me, although I've seen it before)? Original Wizard neck? You're gonna be changing the pickups so those don't matter. I'd imagine it's probably worth it, especially if you can play it first.
It's a good deal in as much as that the RG550XXs were designed as collectors' guitars, and this guy is selling for less than the list price.
However, is it worth £600 to you? You'll have to play it and see for yourself.
Likelihood is that with the thinner neck and floating trem, it's not going to lack sustain in comparison to your PGM.
lol....£600 is what I paid for my RG550 15 years ago

That's worth it, they're great guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks you lot, he's sending me some pics tonight, he says the condition is 9.99/10 so we'll see
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
Thanks you lot, he's sending me some pics tonight, he says the condition is 9.99/10 so we'll see

$600 GBP is like $870 USD according to Google, and that sound pretty darn good to me.

By the way, how do you like your PGM? I should have mine by the end of the week !
I absolutely love my PGM301, they are now discontinued though. I think one of the only places with some in stock still is musicians friend.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Oh god dude thats my dream guitar If I had the money Id even get it shipped overseas.

But free bump to you anyway
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Definitely worth it,but I'd want it in the desert yellow finish

They're great guitars,the neck is amazing.I'm sure if you get it and swap out the pups you won't be disappointed.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Lethal Dosage
Oh god dude thats my dream guitar If I had the money Id even get it shipped overseas.

But free bump to you anyway

PGM301
RG550XX

Sounds good eh?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the color of the pickups I'm going to change to

Bridge- Tone Zone
Middle- True Velvet
Neck- Air norton
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by sharpant
PGM301
RG550XX

Sounds good eh?

Does anyone have any suggestions for the color of the pickups I'm going to change to

Bridge- Tone Zone
Middle- True Velvet
Neck- Air norton

Hmmm red body and a black pick guard.White and black would look good IMO,or black and red to match the color pattern between the body and guard.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by sharpant
PGM301
RG550XX

Sounds good eh?

Bridge- Tone Zone
Middle- True Velvet
Neck- Air norton

Sorry thought this was a gear ad at first

Anyway I would go with red pickups or red pup covers if you are getting the red one. That or maybe some zebras.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by sharpant
I absolutely love my PGM301, they are now discontinued though. I think one of the only places with some in stock still is musicians friend.

I ordered mine from Sam Ash (in store) they're having to get it from another Sam Ash location because they have none at the warehouse or wherever they get their guitars from. I got it at clearance price because it's discontinued, only $1,201 after tax. I'm planning on leaving the pickups stock, I don't think I'll be disappointed by them.

As for pickup colors of the RG550... red would be simple yet good if you wanted.

Funky way I might do it (or I'd do it similar, love the green!):

Yeah I'd say definately. I was looking at them before I got my S2170, but I wasn't too keen on the town of RG's personally.
Quote by Volvic
Yeah I'd say definately. I was looking at them before I got my S2170, but I wasn't too keen on the town of RG's personally.

That's a funny one (spelling mistake I mean).

How's the S treating you? I played an S of sorts at GC, and while it was a great guitar, the body felt really weird for me. RGs on the other hand are fine. Did you have at all the opposite problem?
Hm, I'd do either white or black pups
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
I love my yellow RG550MXX.

They have an insanely thin neck and they're well made. The original Edge tremolo stays in tune well and it comes with the old neck joint.
The stock pickups aren't bad, either

I'd say go for it.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I'm thinking 2x green and red in the middle

Should be going to pick it up on Saturday for £600.
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
all red looks pretty good

Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
All red does look good, although I'm not too sure DiMarzio's red will match RFR.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
The guitars are amazing. I dream of owning a yellow one, the color is more vibrant in a blacklight.

I played one of the 550xx's in a store for a few hours, loved it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio

Or maybe make the neck pickup green too. I didn't use quite a bright a red as you because I'm not too familiar with the guitar, I just guessed on a red. Probably would look better on the bright red. Also, if you wanted to, you could hide the middle pickup by making it black and the others brighter colors.
Last edited by I Poke Badgers at Feb 5, 2009,
Would appreciate any suggestions on pickup colors guys! please use this

http://www.jemsite.com/vrg/

Going to get the guitar tomorrow, i will post pics after work
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Orange PPC212 2X12
^ my guess is that it's a custom job. either he put the body and neck together, or he repainted a guitar in that color... could be straight from ibanez's j-craft team though. not sure who he is, so i don't know if he could have made that happen of course for the right money anybody can make that happen...

i'm thinking it's a one-off custom job though. mainly because you can see the red in the blade switch's route in the pickguard. like the body isn't actually routed underneath, so the pickguard is just added on for looks. if that were stock there shouldn't be any red there because there should be no wood. just my thought
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
anything less than 800 for an prestige rg is a great deal, especially if its in good condition

however the only thing i would look out for on this guitar is it doesnt have the standard aanj like most rgs on the market, the old block neck joint could be a bit of a hassel on the higher frets. but i guess its all preference
I've got a 1992 RG550 with Purple Neon finish. Air Norton in the neck is sweet - a nice fat "strat-like" tone. You'll love that tone. In the bridge is a DiMarzio Steve's Special and I've kept the standard Ibanez coil in the centre. It's a beautifully balanced guitar - you won't be disappointed!

Does no one read anymore?
The thread is almost a year old, he's had the guitar for ages.
Last edited by littlephil at Mar 11, 2010,
You really are getting every Gilbert related guitar around, aren't you? When does the old Epi Wiltshire come in? :P
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Thats ken from Unearth I think... I'm pretty sure it is anyway.

Hes had a bunch of super rare ibanez guitars over the years so its not surprising if its a custom or a prototype
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
Thats ken from Unearth I think... I'm pretty sure it is anyway.

Hes had a bunch of super rare ibanez guitars over the years so its not surprising if its a custom or a prototype

Yea, Ken and Buzz are both endorsees and have access to the LACS. That's probably what it is. I think they're on sevenstring.org. I know one of them sold a guitar on there once. You might get lucky. Just search ebay and other forums for LACS guitars. They're sold quite often. The problem is they're all unique.
Quote by littlephil

Does no one read anymore?
The thread is almost a year old, he's had the guitar for ages.

Thats why you keep bumping it by repeating the same thing? Calm down bro.

Yeah, thats crazy mofo Ken and I would kill for his guitar! Thanks guys, old or not, here i got the information i wanted.