Apparently in ~30 years we'll have these tiny microscopic machines that can't even be seen with the naked eye. We'll inject them into humans to perform maintenance around our body. We'll put them in the bloodstream to break up plaque, we'll put them in brains to act as neurons. Crazy, isn't it? We're going to be part biological and part non-biological in a few years.
I dunno, it kinda scares me to think about it... I'm not sure if I'd like tiny machines swimming around in my blood.

But here's some videos (no sound) to show what they're capable of:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7zw9fvfBZI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-2Xw-GNkUQ

So what does everyone think of nanobots?
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Incoming Matrix-like-world. Minus the sillyness.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

i think transformers are better
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
they could be very useful/helpful

but also lethal for military use. so as long as they are in the right hands i guess. and dont go all terminator on our asses we will be fine.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
Quote by midi pure
they could be very useful/helpful

but also lethal for military use. so as long as they are in the right hands i guess. and dont go all terminator on our asses we will be fine.

Mhmm..

Actually, some scientists predict that our first encounter with extra terrestrial life will be similar to these nanobots...we won't even be able to see them. It's scary
Will they help me shoot lightning?
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by 0RI0N
Will they help me shoot lightning?

Yes.
So they'll just mimic what some human cells are already doing. I think I prefer stem cells.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by Mister.Y
So they'll just mimic what some human cells are already doing. I think I prefer stem cells.

Not exactly. They'll be doing a ton more....like getting rid of diseases (cancer for example). People won't have heart attacks or strokes...it'll basically allow for us to be immortal; I read that in about ~70 years, we'll inject millions of nanobots into the brain, and copy the brain exactly (i.e. the person's exact personality).
If you have machines inside of you, they can be manipulated by someone else.
It's dangerous waters to be swimming in methinks
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Quote by ACG
Yes.

Alright I'm in.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I can't wait till these are ready. They're going to be the biggest medical breakthrough of our times.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by whatamidoinhere

They're not actually "machines" in the traditional sense; just complex molecules created for specific purposes. As such, they can't be hacked, so you can't be manipulated
Quote by SlackerBabbath
This from a country who're trying to make up for being late for the last two world wars by being really early for the next one?

Quote by konfyouzd
i think this is my favorite post of the day

Quote by Benguitar2
You ****ing pwn.

Awesome, dude, just awesome.
Quote by whatamidoinhere

I would think that a machine as tiny as a nanobot would only be able to perform a basic function that it's programmed to do.

It's going to be hard enough for scientists to program them to maintain the human body; I don't think they'll bother with mind-control attributes.

But yeah, someone above me had a good point about the technology's use as weaponry. That would be terrible.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
30 years ago they said we'd have robot slaves to do the chores.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by ACG
Not exactly. They'll be doing a ton more....like getting rid of diseases (cancer for example). People won't have heart attacks or strokes...it'll basically allow for us to be immortal; I read that in about ~70 years, we'll inject millions of nanobots into the brain, and copy the brain exactly (i.e. the person's exact personality).

No thanks.

And telomeres will probably still shorten, even with those nanobots, cells won't divide eternally.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by ACG

You gotta be pretty naieve to think that this will be of any benefit to the average person. it'll be the imperialist military forces and the super-rich parasites that fund them that'll be getting the immortallity treatment.
Nano tech. will be the bane of our existence once it's used for weapons manufacturing purposes. It will be too hard to safely control and counter.

edit:
NATURE FRESH MILK!

Anyone that gets that reference will be my hero from here on.
Last edited by Archaon at Feb 5, 2009,
They also said we'd be living on the moon by the year 2000.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out though.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epiphone EDS-1275
Epiphone Les Paul
Schecter C-1+
Peavey Delta Blues
Quote by dudetheman
I would think that a machine as tiny as a nanobot would only be able to perform a basic function that it's programmed to do.

It's going to be hard enough for scientists to program them to maintain the human body; I don't think they'll bother with mind-control attributes.

But yeah, someone above me had a good point about the technology's use as weaponry. That would be terrible.

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Perfection 101
They're not actually "machines" in the traditional sense; just complex molecules created for specific purposes. As such, they can't be hacked, so you can't be manipulated

That's what I was thinking, really complex protien structures is what they'll most likely be if my fuzzy memory of 12th grade microbiology is right!
Quote by TheDriller
You gotta be pretty naieve to think that this will be of any benefit to the average person. it'll be the imperialist military forces and the super-rich parasites that fund them that'll be getting the immortallity treatment.

Oh most likely. I'm sure it'll cost at least millions of dollars to actually have these things put into your body, so the average person will not have them. But in the future (if we are here long enough) I'm sure it'll be available for everyone.

p.s. excellent avatar.
well these are going to act like cells that can reapair right? well couldnt they get infections and diseases too? it could start an artificial epidemic! im such a nerd
Quote by dudetheman

Most machinery is designed to perform it's own 'basic function'; doesn't mean it can't go wrong.

I didn't say anything about mind control... but if you've got little robots travelling through your organs every second, what happens if they go wrong?
(Please don't answer that, you don't know what will happen)
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
Run Zombies
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.