Guitar now: Ibanez Gio

Amp now: Line 6 Spider II 30 watt

Pedals now: None

Ill be playing songs in drop d and c, heavy metal stuff. the guitar i am looking at now are the new Dean Vendetta 4F and some ibanez guitars i cant remember the name of because i am not on my home computer and i had the pages bookmarked. my budget for guitar is probably 700 or less, i may go higher.

Currently, i havent found an amp i actually liked that isnt thousands of dollars. i want to get a half stack but i doubt i have the money for that. i havent looked at marshall amps yet and im on their website but i dont know where to start. im looking for a good tube combo amp or halfstack for heavy distortion thats not muddy. for an amp and cab combined my budget is probably 700 also, i may go higher.

that boss chorus pedal seems like a good buy to me, ill maybe get a delay pedal after the chorus pedal for some cover songs.

any suggestions?
Last edited by gtrplyr at Feb 5, 2009,
Look at the ESP 400 series guitars for an upgrade there.

As far as an amp, that really depends on your budget and what type of tone you want. From what you said initially, I'd say go for a used Peavey combo - I found a XXX for just under $600.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Wait to get pedals.
Try out some Peavey amps and Mesas. I dont like randalls.
Dont get a half stack.
Get a Tube combo, preferably used, it will save you money.
Deans arent all they are cracked up to be, Look for a nice Ibanez, ESP, or Schecter that will get the job done for you. Lok into the schecter Hellraiser, and the ibanez RG series.
I have a boss DD-7 its amazing , but its also 185 bucks. Im sure boss makes a decent chorus pedal, but dont get their distortion or overdrive pedals they are never the best.

Anything else you wanna know?

EDIT: Yea i have a peavey XXX i bought used for $425 its nice
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
i guess ill just have to go to guitar center and try out the selection of amps they have there, and unfortunatly they only carry a few brands at my guitar center. there is a local guitar shop called firehouse guitars that has a very large selection of guitars but still a small selection of amps. so i dont know what im going to do about buying an amp since i dont have much of a selection to choose from.

EDIT: to the guy above me, i was looking into getting a schecter hellraiser a few weeks ago. i also looked into the c-1 plus when i didnt want a tremolo. i tried both of them and they didnt feel right at all. i love the specs on both of those guitars but it didnt feel right at all. ill have to try out a dean when i get the chance. ill definatly look at ibanez' because the gio i have now feels great but the specs are terrible. i dont even know what the stock pickups are. after i get a guitar and amp i like ill go for pedals and new pickups.
Last edited by gtrplyr at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by gtrplyr
i guess ill just have to go to guitar center and try out the selection of amps they have there, and unfortunatly they only carry a few brands at my guitar center. there is a local guitar shop called firehouse guitars that has a very large selection of guitars but still a small selection of amps. so i dont know what im going to do about buying an amp since i dont have much of a selection to choose from.

Try Craigslist.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by stevenpollock

Those amps are most definately not for drop tunings or heavy distortion like TS wants.

Quote by KeepOnRotting
hey lagrange do u think marshalls are good for what i want? i heard somewhere that marshalls are good for metal. also what models should i look at for the brands u mentioned?
Jackson RR5 + Peavy Vypyr 30X + Digitech FX = fun.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Oh - and if you're considering an Ibanez, which you'd mentioned you were, plan on getting pickups swapped in the near future - Ibanez's stock Powersounds are pretty muddy and terrible in general.

Unless you get a higher end prestige model.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
You should get a tube combo. I usually recommend Peavey XXX for tube combos to play metal. The 112 combo is 60 watts which is more than powerful enough.

My Traynor YCV50 blue does pretty well, but it depends what your definition of "metal" is. I'm pretty sure if you put some sort of overdrive on my amp's distortion channel you could get some convincing "metal" tone out of it. Mine does more of the 80s "hard rock" thing rather than modern metal.

If you want a good amp for $700, look used. You might find a Peavey 5150 head for that much, and then you'd have to buy a cab too on top of that.

For guitars, I recommend looking at Jackson, Ibanez, Schecter and LTD. Look for deals on good used guitars.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Marshall aren't really the kind of amp you should go for if you're looking for the heavy scooped tone which drop C playing demands, you should look into Mesa, ENGL, Laney and Peavey (not so much Peavey) if you're looking for the metal tones.

As for a guitar, you should look at some Schecter guitars, great price for great quality, the Schecters with floating bridges are all OFR (To my knowledge) so you won't get some cheap licensed knock off which will go out of tune if you even look at it.

Or you could look at Ibanez, ESP (or LTD their branch company) or Jackson, Ibanez stock pickups are pretty crap unless you get a higher end model, ESP are good but expensive and Jackson is the brand that's usually overlooked because no one plays them and some people don't like the necks on their guitars, but it's all personal preference so just try all the guitars you think will suit you out.