i have a 5 month old mexican. beautiful guitar but always wanted an american. i was going to trade my mexican(paid 350)get ($150 ish for it) ibanez rg(told me theyd give $100 for it. and my yahmaha acoustic(fg730s paid 400, idk what ill get)

all getting traded to GC

is it worth me doing this and financeing it. id probally end up paying $450 ish for the america.

i want a black strat and try to make my own Affordable david gilmour strat, so this is the closest ill get.

DO OR DON'T?
You'll end up hemorraging hundreds of dollars by selling it to GC. If you really want to make some cash selling it, try craigslist. (I personally wouldn't do it)
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
I would not sell them to GC, like Quinlan said, sell them privately. Also try not to finance too much. If your Mexican plays and sounds good I would just keep it a bit longer and get the USA when you can afford to pay it all.
Do not sell to GC as others mentioned. Sell all separately on craigslist. I suggest you keeping all of them and just finance the American. They are worth it though, d@mn do I love mine. Financing now would be good though because prices are going up by a couple hundred in the next few months.
last time a put a guitar on craigs list i got 100 people trying to scam me with there $2000 checks for a 200 doller guitar. its just the easiest way this way.
Yeah, but you will be throwing away good guitars for not equal value. If thats what you want to do, thats fine....you are going to love the American Strat.....but I would always recommend keeping guitars and just adding to your collection instead of getting rid.

Ive sold on Craigslist before with no problems. Its easy to spot scammers.
not reccomended....
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Don't.

Use CL or Ebay.

You'll lose a lot of money by trading it in to a store, especially a chain store, 'cause you know they're gonna resell it for more.

Don't believe me? I bought an Epi LP 2 years ago for $660. I sold it a year later... Long & McQuade gave me $310. Went back a few months after and they had my guitar hanging up for $590. See? I was pissed. But to answer your question, the American Strat is amazing. My Standard is, at least.
problem is i need it for the studio tomorrow. were doing our first recording. idk if it will be ready out of the box like my other strat was???
If you want to get rid of the stuff, just trade it in. You won't move it very quickly on CL unless you're giving it away... not worth the frustration for maybe $100 more imo. But if you want to get max value, do it. to be fair though, you don't need a USA guitar to record. My first guitar teacher recorded an entire album on an Epi LP Custom with Duncan and Gibson pickups.
Uhm, can't you maybe postpone the recording date a day or two?

But if it is a new Strat, it should come nearly perfect outta the box. Mine did.
The quality difference with mexican and american strats isnt all that big, but if you wont feel right until your guitar says Made in the USA on it then the guitar will be worth it
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
you probably wont even hear the difference in the recording...I dont think its worth it.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by joecerillo
DO OR DON'T?

You've really got to hear the difference for yourself.

Personally, if you're planning on upgrading to a MIA Standard, it's not worth it.

I'd recommend you NOT buy the MIA.

Instead, stick it out with the MIM, and set aside half of that $450 to upgrade it in the future.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by yellowsnow4free
You've really got to hear the difference for yourself.

Personally, if you're planning on upgrading to a MIA Standard, it's not worth it.

I'd recommend you NOT buy the MIA.

Instead, stick it out with the MIM, and set aside half of that $450 to upgrade it in the future.

I actually see and hear the difference, but you can't be fooled. MIM is a great guitar. Even if you upgraded the pickups in the future, you'd be A.O.K.

Although, it's the little things about the MIA that make it better, to me at least. For instance, rolled fingerboard edges, nice and comfy... mmm...

Up to you though. Either way, you'll be good to go.
^Agreed, MIM's are great guitars for the money, but there definitely is a noticeable difference in feel, quality and sound of a MIA. It is the best purchase I have ever made in guitar gear
Quote by GuitarDTO
^Agreed, MIM's are great guitars for the money, but there definitely is a noticeable difference in feel, quality and sound of a MIA. It is the best purchase I have ever made in guitar gear

so i said F it. went to GC picked it up along with my 10% coupon. iI DO HEAR THE DIFFERENCE. and even if they sounded the same, THE AMERICAN IS SO MUCH EASIER TO BEND STRINGS WITH. THAT ALONE SOLD ME.
There you have it my man. I find the neck much nicer, and I love the rolled edges. The glossy fretboard is nice, too, eh?
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
There you have it my man. I find the neck much nicer, and I love the rolled edges. The glossy fretboard is nice, too, eh?

the fretboard it was sold me.i play mostly floyd and as u know gilmour loves to bend, and thats nearly impossible on the mexican. the pickups are much briter, beautiful sounds, and the whammy bar"tremolo arm" stays in place, its not falling all ovr the place where u cant reach it. the bridge looks much heavier "steel gauge wise" and the finish i can use as a shaving mirror. cant wait for the studio tomorrow.
Quote by joecerillo
the fretboard it was sold me.i play mostly floyd and as u know gilmour loves to bend, and thats nearly impossible on the mexican. the pickups are much briter, beautiful sounds, and the whammy bar"tremolo arm" stays in place, its not falling all ovr the place where u cant reach it. the bridge looks much heavier "steel gauge wise" and the finish i can use as a shaving mirror. cant wait for the studio tomorrow.

Play the heck out of that guitar, friend!
Hmmmm... I would NOT trade my '09 std mexican strat for an american, even for free.

Basically, I don't like the american std bridge. The mexican is more "vintage" style.