i am in process of buying a computer.

i use cubase at college and will prob end up using that to record.

i want to record 1 or 2 guitars, bass, electric drums and vocals.

the guitars + bass i want to record digitally by plugging into computer and using amp modelling due to paper thin walls i cant crack up my stack.

and id like to record everything at same time or at least 1 guitar, bass, drums and vocals. i can lay second guitar after if needed.

i was thinking of this for the mixin desk
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=7154

what would you suggest i do to model the amps? remembering i will need to be able to do guitar and bass at same time because live recording will be done.

i need it to be cost effective but provide great results.

cheers for all help in advance
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
I have heard good things about amplitude. How cost effective... What is your budget?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
well i wouldnt say i have a budget cause if it is worth it i will save to buy.

not too expensive like 'you can get a amp modeller for £1000' etc.

just suggest
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Well amplitude is around $200-300 and guitar rig is another program around the same price range. There is also the Line 6 series of interfaces that come packaged with software I believe gear box is the name of it. The Line 6 stuff will be slightly cheaper in price and maybe a bit in quality as well.
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
I just use a standard guitar cable and plug,plug it into my guitar then plug the other end into a 1/8 stereo adapter and plug that into the audio in jack on the computa , then if i want to play the effects from the software on the computer out loud i use another amp cable and plug that into my amp then put another 1/8 adapter on the other end and plug it into the headphone jack on the computer so then i have an amp and heaps of effects without having to buy heaps of effect pedals which is good for anyone that wants to get the sounds they want to practice at home . but like u said u dont wanna play it loud caus of the walls i think u can buy adapters like wat i use except they split into two or three plugs for the guitar n bass cables.
While the amplitude and guitar rig stuff can sound very good you will not get a good sound without using an interface since your computer sound card is not going to convert the guitar signal well. So in your case either go with a USB interface and than some software or go with the Line 6 which will come with an interface and modeling software. Do you need some suggestions on different interfaces?
i was looking at the lne 6 guitar port or the ux interfaces.
but i was wondering how id be able to hook that into the mixing desk.

recording is so complicated.

would i be able to use the software like guitar rig or tone port etc hooked up to cubase, like you can connect reason to cubase?
cause if that the case i could plug the guitar n bass into the mixing desk then connect the software to cubase and model the tracks through cubase.

im confusing i know but i dont really know to an extent what im talking about.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Just get a pod 2.0.

The tone from proper pods is far better than the pc software.

Why do you need the ipod recording facility of that desk?
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I would advise going for a firewire interface, cause it means you'll be able to edit each track you record afterwards, and if you're recording live, you'll probably need to. As for effects modelers, I'd just get a line6 pod and run your guitar into that, then the pod to the interface. As for bass, I've got some really good results with the Ampeg plugin before.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
does the ampeg plug in cost?
i dont need a ipod dock for recording it just there.

what firewire interface would you recommend? and what the different between that and a normal mixing desk cause you can edit each track through that and cubase anyway cant you?
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
I have the alesis multimix 8 usb 2 (same thing but without the ipod dock) I got mine used, cheap as chips and i really like it so far (had a week or two) recorded first jam day before yesterday with the wife and father-in-law- BasS, Guitar, 2 mics and streo digi drumkit, straight into cubase on a pc- great!!

Bass Guitar was using Guitar rig 3 which I love and has a couple of bass amps in there, I also use amplitube 2 and amplitube jimi hendrix - peavy revalver looks ok too, though I havent reallly used it.

I've had a go on most guitar PC based vsts etc and I think Guitar rig 3 is the best - the UI, the sounds, features etc - you can downlod trials of them and have go
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I'd recommend just getting a cheap mixer and recording at different times recording everything at once is just a bad idea aslong as you mic up the drums well and just buy like a firewire interface too plug that guitar and mixer into with stereo ins it will be good.
I've heard good things about the Presonus FP10, I personally use a Motu Ultralite, but that doesn't have preamps for every channel. If you get a firewire interface with preamps on every channel, you won't need a mixing desk as well, and each input will record to a different track in your DAW.

USB 1.0 interfaces will bounce everything you record down to a single track usually, I'm not too sure about USB 2.0

I'm honestly not sure how much ampeg costs, I didn't pay anything for it.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Last edited by Sonny_sam at Feb 6, 2009,
Quote by cuthbertg
I have the alesis multimix 8 usb 2 (same thing but without the ipod dock) I got mine used, cheap as chips and i really like it so far (had a week or two) recorded first jam day before yesterday with the wife and father-in-law- BasS, Guitar, 2 mics and streo digi drumkit, straight into cubase on a pc- great!!

Bass Guitar was using Guitar rig 3 which I love and has a couple of bass amps in there, I also use amplitube 2 and amplitube jimi hendrix - peavy revalver looks ok too, though I havent reallly used it.

I've had a go on most guitar PC based vsts etc and I think Guitar rig 3 is the best - the UI, the sounds, features etc - you can downlod trials of them and have go

that was a great piece of advice its pretty much exactly what i want to do.

i only want to record all instruments at once just for like quick demos so if we write a song we can record it instantly just to remember it and play it back.

can guitar rig 3 be used with more than one instrument at once? i.e can i model the sound of a guitar and bass at the same time? im trying to do this as digitally as i can, like i said before, walls are paper thin and i dont want to piss neighbours off. some are pretty old.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Glad it helped!

When I looked back over the years and thought of all the jams and stuff I've forgotten I just wanted a way to get it all down with minimal fuss etc.

I've now setup some project templates in cubase, so it opens ready with the right number of tracks and the required FX etc already loaded whenever someone pops in - no spending an hour getting it all set up and ready - just a quick level check and off ya go.

As a standalone app I dont think you can use guitar rig 3 with 2 instruments at the same time,

but if you are using it as a vst plugin in cubase or whatever, then yes you can - I frequently use it on 2 or 3 instruments.

The other cool thing is that the instrument is recorded clean, so if you later decide that the metal distortion is too much you can change it to a crunchy orange amp setting (or whatever)

It's all good stuff!!
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
I would go with the Firewire interface option. This will give you each instrument it's own track in your DAW, as opposed to USB units which won't be able to do that.

I'd go with the Presonus FP10 as well - 8 simultaneous inputs, decent preamps, comes with Cubase LE, which is the software you're after, but the lite version. I think this should be more than adequate, but if you find you want the full version for any reason, you can upgrade for cheap from Steinberg.

With this setup, you won't need a mixing desk, you can do all the mixing on the computer. Mixing desks are rarely needed for the small home studio nowadays. For modelling, then you can use any decent vst modeller as a plugin in Cubase. Good ones include Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube and Revalver. You can use more than one instance of any of these at any one time.
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by fridge_raider
I would go with the Firewire interface option. This will give you each instrument it's own track in your DAW, as opposed to USB units which won't be able to do that.

I'd go with the Presonus FP10 as well - 8 simultaneous inputs, decent preamps, comes with Cubase LE, which is the software you're after, but the lite version. I think this should be more than adequate, but if you find you want the full version for any reason, you can upgrade for cheap from Steinberg.

With this setup, you won't need a mixing desk, you can do all the mixing on the computer. Mixing desks are rarely needed for the small home studio nowadays. For modelling, then you can use any decent vst modeller as a plugin in Cubase. Good ones include Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube and Revalver. You can use more than one instance of any of these at any one time.

just checked the presonus out, £340 a bit much but i may beable to get it cheaper on ebay or sumit.

and as long as i can usemultiple instruments with guitar rig ill get it.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Last edited by nightwalker903 at Feb 9, 2009,
That much is true. I would maybe delete that post.

Besides any moral issues people may have, cracked copies aren't as good due to the lack of support and they often have bugs.
done edited the post.

can i only buy guitar rig from the company that make it or can you get it cheaper from other websites?

i quite like that firewire because it has cubase free.

can guitar jack plugs be put into it not just xlr because i will prob only be hookin up one or 2 mics, rest be digital
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass
Yes, the inputs are hybrid, and allow you to connect 1/4" jack or OXLR cables to any of them. You can get the Guitar Rig software from multiple outlets.
sweet.

that sounds like the set up im after.
took alot time to get the info cause im useless but i think that is what im after.
im gonna research everything now to double check.
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Schecter s-1
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Westfield Bass