So i have this band, and i have this drummer...so you can guess where this is going.

Well this drummer (lets call him steve) steve used to be in a punk band, this punk band got signed and got record a CD for free. Then they fell to **** when the bassist started forgetting songs due to drugs. So steve joined my band.

He tells me that the punk band was getting back together, that was fine with me, just as long as he stays focused on both bands equally(He has ADD). We have a show on Saturday (Feb 7th) and when i informed him on Tuesday he had no ****ing clue. So yesterday we call in a band practice and he says he is busy jamming with the punk band. When he knows we have a show in a few days.

Also at our last practice he was really annoying, he usually keeps the drums quiet, but he just kept playing after songs and when we were trying to talk about band stuff he kept playing. He also refused to play one of our cover songs because it was too boring and it was the same thing...even though its the song that needs practice.

TLDR: Drummer quites punk band, joins my band, punk band reforms, jams with them when we need to practice for our show, started ****ing around at practice. refuses to play a cover song we do, because its boring.

Am I thinking too much or will this become a problem.
My advice to you is let your punk drummer play punk and find a drummer who's really into what you guys are doing.

P.S. - Covers are lame.
that's usualy how most drummers act. but yeah, sit him down and talk to him about what you feel is wrong. comunication is key in a band.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Boss pedals drain power like a girlfriend drains your bank account.

GEAR:
4 string warwick corvette $$ BO

acustic 200 head & 410 cab
Quote by DerekC99
My advice to you is let your punk drummer play punk and find a drummer who's really into what you guys are doing.

P.S. - Covers are lame.

well the problem is he always bitched about playing punk, saying it was the same thing. So when he joined my band I let him play just about anything that sounded good. Plus he has an IQ of about 85
Quote by Quantonyne
Plus he has an IQ of about 85

that's a pathetic IQ for a glass of water.

cookie for anyone who gets the reference
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Well what people say and what people do are two entirely different things. Given the information you've provided us with, I think it's pretty clear where his priorities are, but I don't want to speak for your drummer, and maybe there's more to the story. Follow the other guys advice and sit him down and figure out what it is he really wants and let him know what it is you want. And punk is only "the same thing" if you don't understand the genre.

P.S. - Unless of course they're Maiden covers.
I had a different situation for my last gig, but the solution is the same for both problems:

PLAY THE GIG AS BEST YOU CAN, THEN FIRE HIM.

You're not gonna change him, you're not gonna bring him around to your side, you're just gonna bang your head against the wall. Do what has to be done.
Last edited by Airman Kai at Feb 5, 2009,
The fact that he is in my band means that all he does is smoke pot and drink. In the punk band he would try some nose candy every now and then, drink like a fish, blow **** up, set **** on fire...he was hanging out with a bad crowd.

So the other bandmate and I are trying to look out for his best intrests...but its gonna be his choice...
sounds like he could be the next Syd Barret. except for the punk bit..
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?

He tells me that the punk band was getting back together, that was fine with me, just as long as he stays focused on both bands equally(He has ADD). We have a show on Saturday (Feb 7th) and when i informed him on Tuesday he had no ****ing clue. So yesterday we call in a band practice and he says he is busy jamming with the punk band. When he knows we have a show in a few days.

Even if you had a show scheduled, you can't call a practise like * that * and expect everyone to drop everything. Have a scheduled practise time each week, or more frequently, and stick to it.
The Prime Factorisation of the number of the beast : 2x3x3x37
well there are only 3 of us and its pretty common to plan a practice a day a head of time...I called him the night before and he said OK.

Well last night i tried calling him and he pretty much ignored me, and didnt show up to practice. Plus he borrowed the PA (which is his) and he took the power strip that we use (I own)...the power strip is the ONLY way we can power our amps in the basement.

So the show is tomorrow, I dont imagine he would skip out on the show...but I wont put it past him.
Honestly, just drop him. Otherwise, the whole band's gonna go down with him.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....