So I've been playing a bit longer than a year now and have found all of the sudden that when I play fast lines with root notes, the thumb on my plucking hand begins to hurt. I play with the string skipping method where you play with your thumb one string above the string your playing on. Anybody got any advice on how I can fix this pain?
Last edited by Syris at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by Syris
So I've been playing a bit longer than a year now and have found all of the sudden that when I play fast lines with root notes, the thumb on my plucking hand begins to hurt. I play with the string skipping method where you play with your thumb one string above the string your playing on. Anybody got any advice on how I can fix this pain?

Maybe you're pressing down on the string too hard with your thumb. Try relaxing your hand a bit.
it sounds to me like you're just tensing your thumb up too much. Try relaxing as invader said.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Jack Daniels could help
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Quote by TANKER69
Jack Daniels could help

I would agree, and on a serious note, I would agree.

However, if you're not into the idea of getting hammered every time you want to play, some general thumb excercises would be a good way to start, such as moving inwards and outwards, say, 10 sets of 20 in/outs, stretching the thumb as far in and as far out just to build up some strength in the thumb to rest on.

Relaxing the thumb is also important, dont tense it, just let it sit there, let your shoulder hold the weight of your arm, not your thumb.

Try playing floating as well, see if you can adjust to that, and your thumb wont get tired
Quote by srvguitarrulez
I heard someone say that Fall Out Boy had amazing guitarwork. But, it was a 13 year old girl, so it didn't matter.
I agree with the thumb exercises and stretching as mentioned above. I play a lot of fast music and had this problem before, so I learned to stretch and warm up before playing for long periods of time and it makes a huge difference... for both hands.
For stretching I learned you should do this with your arms fully extended and at or above head level. - If you look on youtube, you can find some good techniques for stretching and warming up.