Today I started to restring my guitar. I didn't have any plyers or anything so for some reason I decided to snap the strings by tightening them.

I did this with the low E string, and now all the strings just rattle at roughly the same pitch no matter how tight i make them.

Im thinking I may have damaged the truss rod or something, but i'm really not that clued up on the technical side of things.

Help?
Lol that's very stupid.

Have you seen the tension on the back of string package.

about 8kg of tension on the low E and even more on the A string

(Try to bend The low E string string further then 1/2 full steps, you can't do it unless you are very muscular)

there's about 48kg of string tension when in tune of all the strings combined. You cant just tune em till they snap lol, not too mention the danger if they snap.

Tension increases heavily at exponential rate the higher u tune.

For you non metric users that's 105lb all strings together.

TS check if ur neck is warped or of anything is happened with the guitar at a local guitar shop.

Strings are stronger then you think, I can pull up my guitar on just the E string, and it's almost as heavy as a les paul.

Never do that anymore in the future, but i'm sure it's nothing major

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by Rascal_King
Today I started to restring my guitar. I didn't have any plyers or anything so for some reason I decided to snap the strings by tightening them.

I did this with the low E string, and now all the strings just rattle at roughly the same pitch no matter how tight i make them.

Im thinking I may have damaged the truss rod or something, but i'm really not that clued up on the technical side of things.

Help?

that was pretty dumb

check your bridge - make sure the strings are resting in the saddles. Check the springs by taking off the backplate. Then check that they're properly settled in the nut.

Are the strings at tension? You have them tuned up? When you say they 'rattle' are the strings really slinky?
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
why didnt you loosen them to change them?
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
That was stupid as everyone said just dont do it again the neck already have over 100 pounds of pressure on it when the strings are tuned normally.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by .:st.anger:.
that was pretty dumb

check your bridge - make sure the strings are resting in the saddles. Check the springs by taking off the backplate. Then check that they're properly settled in the nut.

Are the strings at tension? You have them tuned up? When you say they 'rattle' are the strings really slinky?

it sounds like there's tooo much tension. The strings only vibrate for a short amount of time, and when they do it's just rattling. There's no real pitch to it.

And ye, they are correctly in the nut and bridge.
Quote by Rascal_King

Help?

I despair.

Next time, how about LOOSENING the strings until you can just unwind them?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yikes!

Bad move.
You probably hosed either your bridge or your neck.
Check where your bridge is attached to the body. I bet it is cracked.

Even if you messed up your truss rod, the strings should tune to pitches.
Quote by MT in Austin
Yikes!

Bad move.
You probably hosed either your bridge or your neck.
Check where your bridge is attached to the body. I bet it is cracked.

Even if you messed up your truss rod, the strings should tune to pitches.

Bridge is fine. Not a stratch on her.

Also for the future, if ur lazy get 1 of these.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Rascal_King
Bridge is fine. Not a stratch on her.

Is your action too low?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Is your action too low?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yes. Haha. Bad times.
Quote by Rascal_King
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yes. Haha. Bad times.

Yeah try raising you action that should fix your buzzing problem. If not report back and I will try to think of something else.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Yeah try raising you action that should fix your buzzing problem. If not report back and I will try to think of something else.

the problem is, my action is to low. The even bigger problem is, the top side of the bridge is flat to the body so i can't turn the screw to bring it back up.
Quote by Rascal_King
the problem is, my action is to low. The even bigger problem is, the top side of the bridge is flat to the body so i can't turn the screw to bring it back up.

You mean its leaning up?

Btw what kind of bridge is it?

You need to level the trem before you adjust action or do pretty much anything for that matter.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
You mean its leaning up?

Btw what kind of bridge is it?

You need to level the trem before you adjust action or do pretty much anything for that matter.

I play a les paul.
Quote by Rascal_King
I play a les paul.

You should be able to pretty easily adjust the action on them. Tuneomatic bridges are pretty easy.

I dont understand what your saying about it try and explain it to me again and I will do my best to help.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
It is probably just the tuner peg that is loose now cause there isn't a string holding everything tightly. Please in future, if you don't have plyers, rather use your teeth.
Quote by WantzChas
It is probably just the tuner peg that is loose now cause there isn't a string holding everything tightly. Please in future, if you don't have plyers, rather use your teeth.

Or Wire Cutters? I actually keep some in my gator case along with my extra strings and allen wrench for the locking nut.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
How is it not possible to adjust the action on a Les Paul? Nobody understands what you're saying TS. Loosen the strings and turn the screws on the bridge to raise the action. problems solved. I don't understand what the problem could be?
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I don't get the problem. Loosen the strings, take them out and put new strings on. Are you saying you can't take out the old strings by loosening the tuners?
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer