Poll: Would you knowingly buy a Knockoff guitar if the price was right?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would you knowingly buy a Knockoff guitar if the price was right?
Yes
69 80%
No
17 20%
Voters: 86.
I recently found a guy at a flea market selling amazing knockoff guitars out of China. Gibson, Fender and Ibanez copies that are just amazing! I played five or six LPs copies all played and sounded pretty close to the real thing and the quality of the workmanship was outstanding and none were priced over $350.00. I am not a fan of Strats or Teles and the couple I tried were IMHO just as good as the real ones. The Ibanez Jems he had were top notch too. He had a Roland Cube amp which I think sucks but the guitars all sounded OK thru it. I Told him I would like to try one thru a better amp. OH he also has a money back policy!!! I thought that was funny but he says he never got a guitar returned.

The Gibson LPs came with a HSC all the Gibby paperwork. If I had the dough I would have bought the LP Supreme he had for only $300.00. He admits they are knockoffs so he's not trying to sell them to unsuspecting people as real brand names.

My question is would you buy a knockoff guitar if you thought the price was right and you liked the way it plays and sounds.
ESP/Gibson/Fender...started out as nobodies...if the thing played like a beast then so be it...you can say you were one of the first to own one if that dude ever becomes a killer maker..

did they have a name on them by chance?
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
If it sounds good and plays well, who cares what name is written on the headstock?
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
I'm not sure I read your post right, but I'm assuming here that the guitars have their respective names replicated? As in the LPs actually have Gibson written on the headstock.

I've never been in a position where I was interested in buying a knock-off guitar, but generally speaking I think my answer would be no. Even if I got to play it and it felt and sounded good, I don't think I would ever be satisfied knowing I own a complete knock-off, it just wouldn't feel right. Never say never I guess, but that's just my 2 cents. If you really want a Gibson LP I'd just save for one, I think you'll regret buying the knock-off in the long run. Eventually you'll want to sell it and I guarantee they're damn hard to get rid of.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Last edited by Mike1109 at Feb 5, 2009,
I just couldn't. I'd want it to be the real thing.

I couldn't call it a Fender if it really wasn't.

I'd rather buy a cheap, but legit, guitar that I liked the sound of than buy a knockoff.

At least he wasn't trying to pass them off as the real thing.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by .:st.anger:.
ESP/Gibson/Fender...started out as nobodies...if the thing played like a beast then so be it...you can say you were one of the first to own one if that dude ever becomes a killer maker..

did they have a name on them by chance?

they are from china:p Providing they played nice, i would definately buy one. Gibson And Fender i think are overpriced anyway :p
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
That depends.

If it's a knockoff with the companies name on it, only if it lived up to what it was imitating.
If it was from a brand I trust, sure.
If it was an obscure copy, only if it was excellent.
If it was a no-name $100 strat copy, yes, but only to smash it onstage.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Well I would never buy a gibson, I think the company is crap nowadays and their guitars cost 3 times more then what they should sell at. So yes if a knockoff guitar was close in quality to a gibson at $350 then I'd probably wouldn't buy it because I'm not a fan of les pauls lol but I'd definitely get the strat

And I play guitars, I don't care about the name on the headstock
Quote by John Petrucci
When it comes to practicing, I would spend about 63 hours a day
Last edited by mitch311 at Feb 5, 2009,
I would be too worried about it. In the US it is illegal to sell or buy counterfeit merchandise.

It is also illegal to sell or buy stolen goods.

A guitar I couldn't use in public just doesn't appeal to me.
They all are marked Gibson Fender and Ibanez. They all have serial numbers on them that look legit but I am 100% positive they are counterfeits he doesn't try and hide it. The flea market if full of vendors that sell knock offs of everything from Ed Hardy stuff to Rolex watches.

John
Hmmm, interesting situation, but still I don't see why you would pass up a good deal because the guitar in question isn't made by some big and largely overpriced company. One of my favorite guitars is a Telecaster copy, so yeah, I say buy if you have the money.
Quote by johnro6659
They all are marked Gibson Fender and Ibanez. They all have serial numbers on them that look legit but I am 100% positive they are counterfeits he doesn't try and hide it. The flea market if full of vendors that sell knock offs of everything from Ed Hardy stuff to Rolex watches.

John

Oh, wait, is it these things? The stuff that has the big companies putting notices up on their sites? Yeah, I wouldn't touch one of those for much more than the purposes of smashing then. A friend of mine bought a PRS Custom 24 knockoff, even my $450 Dillion Custom 22 copy plays better, as does his new SE Custom he replaced it with.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by MT in Austin
I would be too worried about it. In the US it is illegal to sell or buy counterfeit merchandise.

It is also illegal to sell or buy stolen goods.

A guitar I couldn't use in public just doesn't appeal to me.

You really think that someone is going to see you playing a counterfeit guitar at a gig and think "Oh god, I need to contact the authorities!"
I would avoid it because a counterfeit guitar is stolen intellectual property. It is morally wrong even if it saves you money. Knock off brands only survive because of the large advertising budgets and reputations of the companies they imitate. A company like Fender spends their money and time to build a quality product and reputation, deals with all their warranty issues, etc. and some maggot copies their stuff and sells it below Fenders cost because they have none of the expenses associated with running a legit business.

There is nothing wrong with buying a piece of crap if it is all you can afford, but it needs to say "Piece of Crap" on the headstock.
Truthfully, I don't believe it hurts the original manufacturer profit wise at all because the people who buy the knockoffs wouldn't buy the overpriced original in the first place. All the knockoffs I have tried with the exception of one were far from crap. They were well made great sounding guitars. As far as intellectual property IMHO just copying the body shape infringes on that no matter what the name on the guitar.

The only thing I think is wrong, is passing a knockoff as an original for a big price to some unsuspecting guitarist (dupe). I hate to say it but I have played real Gibsons and most Fenders that should say piece of crap on the head stock if you want to get into quality and sound. People really think just because it has a big brand name on it it's the greatest but that's not always the case.

I don't have a problem buying a knockoff LP if it sounds good and plays well and the price is right. I am not buying it as an investment, I am buying it because it's a good guitar no matter what it says on the headstock. Most guitar companies steal ideas from each other usually the shape so now the only difference is some one decided to just use the brand name. I would never resell it as original either if I was going to sell something like that I would sell it as what it is not what it claims to be.

John
Quote by david_highland
Hmmm, interesting situation, but still I don't see why you would pass up a good deal because the guitar in question isn't made by some big and largely overpriced company. One of my favorite guitars is a Telecaster copy, so yeah, I say buy if you have the money.

True but its illegal to buy something thats a direct copy of someone elses design like down to every detail.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I would by a knockoff guitar if it was good quality, but I would absolutely not buy a counterfeit guitar. A mfg that makes a good product should put their own name on it. Copying a successful product honors the original. Counterfeiting does just the opposite.

Putting the Gibson name on a LP copy cheapens the reputation of Gibson brand name and hurts every guitarist that owns a Les Paul by negatively impacting the resale value of their guitar. Please respect your fellow guitarists. Do not buy a counterfeit.

Laziest Bassist Alive
Keep your gig. I'm sleeping.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
True but its illegal to buy something thats a direct copy of someone elses design like down to every detail.

and who's gonna bust you on it? No one, that's who ...unless you're the one making the copies you don't really have anything to worry about, and if it's really that much of a problem then why not just re-finish the headstalk with a new logo?
Brand name makes no difference to me. The only reason I have a Gibson is because, at the time, it was the best bang for the buck. I could care less if it has the Gibson name on it. It plays well. If a guitar plays well, it could be a blatant knockoff, and I'd still buy it just to show people that brand name does not automatically equal awesome sound (Dean is a perfect examply )
If the price is right, and it sounded / played great, then sure, but I definitely wouldn't be proud to show the headstock at all if it wasn't legit, so I'd probably get rid of the logo.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe Player's Strat
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Gibson Special Faded SG
Tokai LS-80QZ
Tokai Talbo A-130SH
Duesenberg Starplayer TV Outlaw
Takamine EG530SSC
Peavey Classic 50 410
its a body style, headstock style, and that is it

if everyone HAD to be different, no one would even try, as there are billions of people, and out of them a certain percent like to build guitars
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
My first guitar was a knockoff of a Strat so yes...
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

They try and convince us it's illegal to purchase counterfeits but to tell you the truth I doubt even if you got caught buying a knockoff they would waste their time prosecuting. I don't know of a single person who ever got arrested for buying anything knockoff.

I know It is illegal to make and sell them but it's obvious US Customs don't do anything to stop them being imported. If it was such a big deal they would stop them before they left the docks in CA where they come in on the ships from China. They also try and convince us by buying these we are promoting terrorism but I never heard of China supporting terrorism and every knockoff item I see for sale comes out of China and is sold be Chinese people. I see hundreds of thousands of knockoff pocketbooks and watches at every flea market I visit and they places are full of people buying and no one seems to care. Anyone who goes to NYC sees knockoff stuff on every street vendors table. I think the manufacturers are the ones who really put up the stink mainly because the the quality of the knockoffs prove that the real things are way over priced.

I am just bringing it up because I really liked one of the guitars I tried. The quilted maple finish was one of the best ones I ever saw the whole guitar was just amazing. I am debating on it but just not sure I want to or not.

John
*THIS JUST IN!!! DUMB ****ER ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY BUYING A KNOCKOFF FENDER STRATOCASTER FROM A VENDOR IN MANHATTAN. HE AWAITS TRIAL AND POSSIBLY THE DEATH PENALTY FOR THIS HEINOUS OFFENSE*

seriously, I doubt it makes a difference. It's not like a money order where you're unknowingly frauding a bank into cashing your check. It's a business transaction that is enacted well within the legal limits of our laissez-faire market system. For the government to assume any authority otherwise would be to do declare our predominantly capitalist system null and void in every respect. That's the perk of capitalism.