I switched out pick ups in one of my guitars and I am having 2 problems.

First, when I wired in the pick up there was NO gain at all. really muddy and bassy. It was a seymour duncan pickup. and it just sounded like garbage.

Second, I also noticed that there is a static sounding noise and when I touch my hand to the pick up or metal piece on the guitar it goes away. When I left my hand it comes back. I was assuming this was a grounding issue. But I double checked all the ground wires and even replaced volume and tone pots. I cant get the problem to go away. All wiring seems correct as well. I got diagrams from seymour duncans website.

What is the problem?
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Peavey Classic 120 power amp
Randall Cab
my friend had the same prob with a dimebucker, turns out it was some tape our bands tech forgot he left on the wire, but if you wired it yourself and you have no expierience with guitar wiring you probably messed up
Well I did it myself, but I have wired many guitars successfully with no problems. And I can usually figure out what I did wrong if I messed it up. I just cant find anything wrong
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
I also switched the pick up I had in there when it was making the noise. And the other pick up was doing the same thing except louder static noise.
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
ahhh, that explains it much clearer! the wire itself has gone bad, this is a common problem and happens even to brand new guitars, it happens because before the the guitar is made the wire can be sitting in a workshop at the company for months, and wire thats sitting around can pick up small pieces of metal, often floating around guitar workshops.
That or you used low grade solder.
So it could be any one of the wires? or the pickup wire itself?
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
But I tried 2 different pickups with the same results. and the pickup worked fine in other guitars. It must be the wires from the input jack to the pot.
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
or the ground wire
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
It sounds like the ground wire. If you're touching the guitar and getting a buzzing sound, it is definitely a ground issue.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ok, its not the input jack wires....damn
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
Ok, there was a ground wire under the pick up and the metal piece it was soldered to was bent upwards. Maybe that was touching the bottom of the pick up? would that cause problems?
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab
just fixed that and its still making noise. im out of ideas. I changed out everything and its messed up still
Guitars
Jackson Rhoads EX
Jackson RR3

Amp
ENGL E530 preamp
Randall Cab