Page 1 of 3
i know theres a zeppelin thread. but this is for talking about the great jimmy page.

hes one of if not my favorite guitarist.

whatre your thoughts on this great man?
I had a dream that he invited me to Led Zeppelin and I was gigging with him. It was cool by the way. But he isn't my favorite, my favorite are Kirk Hammett and Dave Murray.
Gear:

-ESP/LTD M-100FM
-Yamaha Pacifica PAC012
-PBS 15Watts Amplifier
-Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal
-Monster 25ft. Cable
-Dunlop Tortex 1mm Picks
-Dunlop Strap (Heavy Duty)
- Ernie Ball 10-46
Saw him live!

(foo fighters gig in london, july 2008)

Bloody fantastic, although getting on quite a bit.
greatest guitar player who ever lived.. my idol (next to lennon)
I pressed her thigh and death smiled

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
-John Lennon
what a legend he is!
his guitarwork paved the way for what rock and metal is today
you can hear so many bands today and hear led zeps influence in them!
yeah i couldnt agree more.

and thinking what he did in the early stages of zeppelin is just crazy! i mean, he is a genius musically.
First time I saw Jimmy was July 4, 1984 in D.C. It was all ****ed up cause he was "jamming" with ....get this shyt....The Beach Boys. He was drunk and didn't know the material, thank God. We were front row center, and the park service estimated 985,000 people there. It sucked. Saw him on the "Outrider" tour and that was awesome, he played a lot of LZ as well as "Deathwish" sountrack stuff.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
He's amazing. What I liked about him is that his riffs were hard while Robert was singing. Amazing guitarist he is....I'll be sad when he dies...
best guitar player to ever grace the earth with his presence!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a guitar god in short
was a fan of his, until i read some of the things he did to other people back in the days, then it all changed.
IMHO, he was mean.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by baylewis
was a fan of his, until i read some of the things he did to other people back in the days, then it all changed.
IMHO, he was mean.

what did you read ? what did he do that was mean?
Quote by baylewis
IMHO, he was mean.
From what I understand, Zeppelin as a whole, including manager Peter Grant, were not exactly the most pleasant act to work with.

I think Jimmy Page is a very sloppy guitarist, sometimes to the point where it's almost unlistenable. Though when he was good, he was great.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by BrainDamage
From what I understand, Zeppelin as a whole, including manager Peter Grant, were not exactly the most pleasant act to work with.

I think Jimmy Page is a very sloppy guitarist, sometimes to the point where it's almost unlistenable. Though when he was good, he was great.

yeah, i defnitly see where your coming from. i tend to think of them as just a boss. if you think about it. thats what the whole group was. they were the rock n roll boss.

and yeah i hate when people say hes a sloppy guitarist. cuz thats just his style you know? i mean, hes just really playing so fast it sounds in a way, sloppy. i guess its like that? i know on the albums his playing is phenomenol. i dont know. i just hate thinking hes sloppy. in a way, hes doing what EVH does without tapping with his picking hand.
Quote by classicguy
yeah, i defnitly see where your coming from. i tend to think of them as just a boss. if you think about it. thats what the whole group was. they were the rock n roll boss.
That's an understatement.

Quote by classicguy
and yeah i hate when people say hes a sloppy guitarist. cuz thats just his style you know? i mean, hes just really playing so fast it sounds in a way, sloppy. i guess its like that? i know on the albums his playing is phenomenol. i dont know. i just hate thinking hes sloppy. in a way, hes doing what EVH does without tapping with his picking hand.
The "that's just his style" excuse doesn't cut it for me. He was a sloppy live guitarist. You can't deny that. In the studio he is much cleaner, yes, but just listen to a few live shows and you'll see.

I'm as big a Zeppelin fan as all you guys, and I think Page did some great things both in his playing and writing, but I'm tired of stuff like this:
Quote by vanhailin
best guitar player to ever grace the earth with his presence!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a guitar god in short
And yes, I am fully aware that that kind of statement is completely based on opinion. I just disagree with that opinion.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
In my opinion he's a pretty mediocre electric guitar player, but his acoustic work i think is more respectable, but I respect his influence and groundbreaking work. As a producer though, he was very good.
i fully understand what your talking about with the whole sloppy thing. but i just hate thinking like that. mainly cuz i love page too much =/

though, hes a remarkable muscian in every sort of way..

(everyone in zepp is for that matter, but thats not for this thread )
Quote by ledhed68
In my opinion he's a pretty mediocre electric guitar player, but his acoustic work i think is more respectable, but I respect his influence and groundbreaking work. As a producer though, he was very good.

I agree 100% with this.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by classicguy
im only 15. so i really have no hope of seeing him live. its so depressing.

Dude i know exactly how you feel. We'll probaly never be able to see the greats perform.
Quote by classicguy
what did you read ? what did he do that was mean?

The incidents with Jeff Beck, (see information about Becks Belero and You Shook Me) although subject to debate, one can really see pain in Jeff Beck words when he speaks about the songs
Quote by classicguy
well in my opionon, page kills jeff beck. i dont think beck stands up to page at all.
IMHO

yeah, if thats your opinion
Quote by classicguy
well in my opionon, page kills jeff beck. i dont think beck stands up to page at all.
IMHO

I know that its opinion, but if you listen to beck he's so much more clean, you can actually hear the notes hes playing. Beck is obviously a better/cleaner player, but maybe you just prefer page's playing.
Quote by ledhed68
I know that its opinion, but if you listen to beck he's so much more clean, you can actually hear the notes hes playing. Beck is obviously a better/cleaner player, but maybe you just prefer page's playing.

page is sloppy, compared to Beck

I expect get flamed for that, but i start university soon and wont have time to worry bout that.
Quote by ledhed68

yes, i do perfer pages playing. but i think overal what page did with a guitar compared to what beck did witha guitar, theres no comparison.

im gonna get flamed for that. i know it
I don't know about that either, i mean clapton had been playing blues inspired rock for a couple years before page, and the psychadelic stuff he did he got from beck. Like I said earlier, Page's true talent/mark was producing.

Edit: I'm sort of just playing devil's advocate here, Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands.
I love Led Zeppelin.

However, if you believe Page is better than Beck... you are wrong. It's not even an opinion. There simply is no comparison
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by baylewis
The incidents with Jeff Beck, (see information about Becks Belero and You Shook Me) although subject to debate, one can really see pain in Jeff Beck words when he speaks about the songs

becks belero is a bit of a touchy subject, but i think that "you shook me" was just a bit of oneupmanship, showing him how to really do a blues song like that, and not make it poppy, all just a joke
and jeff kinda took the joke a little too seriously
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daze Of My Youth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

caution: This sig employs the use of symbolism beyond "lol bright colours=flamboyantly gay
"
Quote by wholelottabon
becks belero is a bit of a touchy subject, but i think that "you shook me" was just a bit of oneupmanship, showing him how to really do a blues song like that, and not make it poppy, all just a joke
and jeff kinda took the joke a little too seriously

I think Jeff Beck would have done the song that way, had he had an explosive drummer like Bonzo. When one listens to song, the drumming is quite pivotal to the song. Another point i've just thought of. Led Zep's version include three solos (organ, harmonica and guitar). JPJ played organ on both tracks and therefore had time to derive a better mix six months after the initial recording. Besides, i love Nicky Hopkins on the piano in Becks version, its awesome. Basically the piano=organ as far as i am concerned (in the arrangements of the songs). As for the Harmonica had Rod Stewart done a solo then the songs would be much more similar. One more point. If the piano section in Becks version not been played over the guitar and Beck turned the guitar up, there basically a copy of one another.
Quote by classicguy
IMHO

i agree. page is the man. guitar god - top 5 ever to walk this earth in my opinion
Quote by shwrestler
i agree. page is the man. guitar god - top 5 ever to walk this earth in my opinion

If you think a musician is in the top 5, you need to reexamine your life priorities.
Quote by shwrestler

yeah. looking at everything he has done since the yardbirds and he whole journey with led zeppelin. i dont think you can say he isnt amazing in every way. he conducted zeppelin in the begining and boy, what a job he did...

Quote by ledhead68
If you think a musician is in the top 5, you need to reexamine your life priorities.

No, not really. music is important. very important. and looking at everything Page did and how he totally revolutionized rock music for ever, and created some of the greatest music ever...you cant really say he isnt one of the greatest humans ever.
Quote by GezzyDiversion
My dad was working at his house in Berkshire last year

doing what, and dont say having a jam session cause i will be extremely envious.
Quote by baylewis
doing what, and dont say having a jam session cause i will be extremely envious.

this.
im already extremly envious of your dad.
Quote by WOODY_B
Dude i know exactly how you feel. We'll probaly never be able to see the greats perform.

I know the feeling, I am 17.

But,

That's why we will play their music for people.
To let the legends live on through us.
Just like when orchestras play Classical. Everyone knows Beethoven and Bach.
And everyone with some musical knowledge will remember Page, Plant, Bonzo, and JPJ.
Gear

30 Watt Peavey Vypyr

Peavey Reactor

Agile AL-3100 White w/ chrome hw

Seagull S6 Original
Last edited by Payton Ratliff at Feb 19, 2009,
Page 1 of 3