So I think I am not holding the guitar correctly or something, my thumb and wrist are in terrible pain when I try to make chords, or play notes in general.

Also, wtf is up with the B major chord, how is this possibly played like this? I can't get my index or middle finger to be where they need to be, like not at all.

_| | | | | |_
_| 1 1 1 1 1_
_| | | | | |_
_| | 3 3 3 |_

(sorry for crap diagram, I am more worried about thumb and wrist problem however.
i dunno, some guitars have this black/brown/white stripe at the back of their necks, Where your suposed to hold your thumb against while playing, But i never used that and i barely have any problems with chords.

And barre's aren't THAT difficult if ya learn to do them the right way, In fact i love barré's and playing them with no difficulty.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Quote by G-loony
i dunno, some guitars have this black/brown/white stripe at the back of their necks, Where your suposed to hold your thumb against while playing, But i never used that and i barely have any problems with chords.

And barre's aren't THAT difficult if ya learn to do them the right way, In fact i love barré's and playing them with no difficulty.

way to rub it in my face that i am doing it wrong :p

no seriously, how to do it... right? that is what i want to know
Not tryin to be a smartass, but really... the same way everything is done... with practice
"When sh*t becomes valuable, the poor will be born without assholes."
Are you pressing too hard? Barre chords are all a question of technique, it'll come soon enough, just keep on and eventually it will be dead easy and you'll realise you don't have to press so hard!
freepower has a video on such things, good stuff really

there are two basic hand positions, one with your thumb grabbing over the top of the neck, liuke a baseball bat, great for chords, and two with your thumb on the back, so you cant see it from the front, great for licks and speed

and play gently also, you dont hanve to press as hard as you may think

with a well set-up guitar, you should only need the weight of your fingers
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."