My Epiphone Les Paul Standard is about 2 months old. I've been playing it every day. Last week I noticed I couldn't bend the high strings on the 12th fret. I thought I had a dirty fretboard/strings. I polished it up and nothing, same exact problem. Then, I looked closely and noticed there are grooves in the fret wire right where the strings are. I use DR LT9 strings (9-42).

I've attached a picture so you can see it's on the high E, B, and G strings. I called Epiphone customer service and they told me to take it into an authorized repair center. I'm still curious as to how this happened.
Attachments:
DSC00006.JPG
the only way i could see that happening is if you have a really heavy touch and vibrato every note you play. pretty weird, that usually happens after years of playing.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
it happens, soft frets you should still be able to bend though
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
It looks like you've been pressing very hard on the strings! It should take years for this to happen not a couple of months. The shop will dress them out but either the frets are very soft (which happens when the fret wire isn't bent back and forth to harden it prior to install) or you'll pressing way too hard. It would be interesting to see if they reapear agina later.
Moving on.....
Same thing happened to me, I just sanded the fret slightly. I didn't have any problems after that.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
weak frets maybe? you can sand it down a little like that one guy said to smooth it out (not sure how it will impact the sound) or have it refretted
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
all i can think of is the fact that its epiphone. second banana to gibson. made in korea with fairly shoddy quality parts and crap stock pickups. or just stop playing so hard?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Thanks for all the responses. I am blown away by the fact that I could be pressing too hard. I've only been playing 5 months and can barely barre chords and fret notes clearly. I have another electric ($99 squier starter strat) and a couple acoustics and have had no problems in this area. When I take it in i'll consult with the technician and get his input as well.
Epi and the asian made guitars use some really soft and therefore cheaper fret wire. For those with a really light touch its ok. It took me about 6 weeks to tear up the frets on my epi LP. You can get em leveled to fix it for now but it will keep happening. So start getting some estimates for a fret job. Figure 200$ more if it has binding. I put stainless frets in my guitars which is the end of the problem, wears into the strings instead of the frets. But many shops wont work with stainless and even fewer will do it on bound fretboards.
I'm pretty sure that's normal for heavy hitting on the strings. Part of why I touch lightly.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
This exact same thing happened to my Gibson, and I don't press hard on my strings. So I'm dubious that its a quality issue. I think mine knocked into something and pushed the string into cutting the fret.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
I never saw this... I guess it might be poor quality of these chinese-made Epis they are selling now.
Quote by Silver-spear94
all i can think of is the fact that its epiphone. second banana to gibson. made in korea with fairly shoddy quality parts and crap stock pickups. or just stop playing so hard?
Korean LPs were/are the good ones.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by ChrisN
Korean LPs were/are the good ones.

Right, indeed my first SG was the Vintage G400 (now called "faded") and it was made in Korea, 2004. It was very well built, had a very nice creamy neck binding and the fretboard was perfect. I abused it a little bit by vibrating a lot and also shaking my left arm (ala Townshend ) and it never failed. I sold it in perfect condition and the guy who got it liked it a lot.

What a shame that global economy and cost savings put the quality on the lower end of the list.
I noticed my new Gibson Explorer's frets are wearing pretty fast I have only had it a couple months now. I took it to GC where I bought it and all I got from them was it's the way I am playing. They claim I press to hard on the strings too. The funny thing is Before I got the Explorer I played my Epi Futura, Devlin Interceptor and my Jay Turser Warlord all the time and none of the frets on those seem to be wearing at all. I play them all the same the only thing I can think of is it's the strings. All my guitars have the same strings except for my Explorer it still has the strings it came with and I noticed they didn't feel very smooth so I put new strings on it dressed the frets and it seems to be OK now. I didn't have grooves though it sounds like something might have hit the strings hard causing them to put a dent in the fret. Nickel is a fairly soft metal and usually wears easily it dents easy too. I used to lean my 72 vintage Gibson LP on my amp and after a while I noticed little nicks in the fret where it was leaning on the amp I stopped doing that and bought a stand.

Of course I emailed Gibson about the problem and from what I was told from the Gibson rep both Gibson and Epi use the same fret wire so I don't think the Epi would wear any faster than the Gibsons but my Gibby actually wore faster than my Epi or two other low end brand guitars.

John
I've got similiar looks on my fretboard and I've had my Epi for a year almost now, but it doesn't affect my guitarplaying though.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
According to Dan Erlewine, it's not always the fret wire itself that's the problem but the preparation that is or isn't done prior to installing them! IF you've ever bent soft copper tubing you'll notice that bending it back and forth stiffens it considerably. Apparently it does something to the molecules (alignment??) which hardens the copper.
For fret wire it's the same thing he says. If you were to just cut fret pieces and fit them the metal is softer than if you work the fret wire back and forth first before fitting it.
I don't know of course but it does make sense. Whta some of you may be seeing is this step being missed altogether or perhaps straight fretwire stock (vs coiled stock) being used.
Moving on.....