Complete novice here... Been playing (badly) since December (08).

I'm interested in distortion pedals but I think I'm in a chicken and egg scenario. I found this article on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_effects

...and it was quite interesting.

I was thinking of picking up a pedal but quite honestly don't know where to start. I play (badly) rock and perhaps would be into some blues too.

I play (badly) a Epi Les Paul Special II and a Epiphone Studio 15R.

At this stage, is it worth me looking at something like this? The material I'm spending the most time on is (in no order) House of the Rising Sun, Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) and Song2 (Blur).

Just wanted to get your feedback... Stick with the basics and forget the pedals? Or pick up a good "beginner" pedal, whatever that is.

I don't play in a band, obviously.
there was no need for the repeated (badly) but yea just stick with the amp effects for now.
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by Howard2k
Complete novice here... Been playing (badly) since December (08).

I'm interested in distortion pedals but I think I'm in a chicken and egg scenario. I found this article on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_effects

...and it was quite interesting.

I was thinking of picking up a pedal but quite honestly don't know where to start. I play (badly) rock and perhaps would be into some blues too.

I play (badly) a Epi Les Paul Special II and a Epiphone Studio 15R.

At this stage, is it worth me looking at something like this? The material I'm spending the most time on is (in no order) House of the Rising Sun, Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) and Song2 (Blur).

Just wanted to get your feedback... Stick with the basics and forget the pedals? Or pick up a good "beginner" pedal, whatever that is.

I don't play in a band, obviously.

try a danelectro FAB overdrive, they arent too bad for 25$ canadian.
I'm not telling you to buy anything without trying them first !!!

Always try to go to a store and grab a Epi Les Pail Special II Or your other guitar, If they don't have both take a similiar guitar.
And use it on a similiar amp you have in your home.
DON'T let someone else play on it for you, Try it yourself.

Don't let the salesman push you to buy it rightaway, If you havn't made up your mind yet then come back later.

I'd suggest a BOSS since they are pretty strong and have a very great tone in my opinion.

But like i said, Just go to a store and test them out yourself.
Try to ask for bluesy / hard rock stuff.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
Sounds like great advice, thanks guys. I'l take a wander in. Quite honestly I had no idea that I'd get anything more than a cardboard box for CAD$25.
I'd say to just stick with the amps distortion at the moment, if anything get something like a Zoom G1 so you've got loads of effects to play around with, before starting to build up a pedal board.
Gear:
Squier Strat (modded)
Vintage SG
ESP-LTD Alexi 200
Epiphone Explorer Goth
Les Paul Build
Flying V Build
EH Metal Muff
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95
Ashdown Fallen Angel 40
forget the pedals - stick to technique and get better.
gear
[="======================"]
ESP-LTD EX400 (black)
ESP-LTD Truckster (primer)
ESP-LTD MX130 (black)
Boss MT-2
Crate GX-60c [stock chorus/reverb]
sneakytopedit: ^^^ yes.

i would wait until you have defined your playing/technique/genres until you start looking into the beast that is effects.

i can almost guarantee that what genres you are playing now will not be what you are playing in five years, and the gear you will be using can change greatly for each genre.
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Feb 5, 2009,
playing is playing is playing, playing (badly) is playing (badly) is cutting down your self-asteem till you dont even want to play anymore, and then give up

your doing fine

i am sure your local music store has some you can test out, but really i bet your amps overdrive isnt really all that bad, just stick with it and make YOUR OWN DECISION
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I think you should stick to your amp and its current effects right now instead of going and buying a pedal, you don't need perfect tone for practice, you should work on technique until you're able to do a few more things and you feel you're ready for an upgrade in terms of tone.
Quote by G-loony
I'm not telling you to buy anything without trying them first !!!

Always try to go to a store and grab a Epi Les Pail Special II Or your other guitar, If they don't have both take a similiar guitar.
And use it on a similiar amp you have in your home.
DON'T let someone else play on it for you, Try it yourself.

Don't let the salesman push you to buy it rightaway, If you havn't made up your mind yet then come back later.

I'd suggest a BOSS since they are pretty strong and have a very great tone in my opinion.

But like i said, Just go to a store and test them out yourself.
Try to ask for bluesy / hard rock stuff.

If you think BOSS has good tone, you're either tone deaf, retarded, or have just never heard or played a good pedal.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
I have that guitar (have upgraded since) but still use that amp. I would say get a pedal just so you dont have to quit playing everytime you want to use distortion. I' ve been playing since Aug.07 and still don't have a pedal though, which is very annoying but it's not necesary.
Quote by V.U.K
If you think BOSS has good tone, you're either tone deaf, retarded, or have just never heard or played a good pedal.

Says a Marty Friedman FanBOY

Dude, I never said they had the BEST tone, And secondly it's my opinion.
If you call me deaf because of my opinion then your nothing more than an ignorant idiot.

They sell great ROCKHARD pedals for not that much money.
And i'm talking about the stand-alone pedals, Like the DS-1/2.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.