i heard these babies have some electronics in them. what do they do?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

It will tune the guitar to one of several programmable tunings, and it also can tell you when the guitar isn't intonated correctly (though it can't intonate for you, obviously).

It's a bit flawed though. It's headstock-heavy, so it has balance issues. The core guitar is just an LP Studio, so the actual quality of the guitar is lower than that of a Standard. You're also pretty much stuck with it as stock too - if you want to start changing pickups and pots and whatever, you're screwed.

I also hear tell it doesn't like very high action, very low action, very heavy strings, the cold... can't say I have experience with that msyelf as I've only played one for about an hour and it was just a standard set-up with .10 strings.

Really it's for people who need to quickly change through multiple tunings on stage, where it's not practical to boat 8~ guitars with you and walk off changing them every song.

For anyone else, it's pointless.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by MrFlibble
It will tune the guitar to one of several programmable tunings, and it also can tell you when the guitar isn't intonated correctly (though it can't intonate for you, obviously).

It's a bit flawed though. It's headstock-heavy, so it has balance issues. The core guitar is just an LP Studio, so the actual quality of the guitar is lower than that of a Standard. You're also pretty much stuck with it as stock too - if you want to start changing pickups and pots and whatever, you're screwed.

I also hear tell it doesn't like very high action, very low action, very heavy strings, the cold... can't say I have experience with that msyelf as I've only played one for about an hour and it was just a standard set-up with .10 strings.

Really it's for people who need to quickly change through multiple tunings on stage, where it's not practical to boat 8~ guitars with you and walk off changing them every song.

For anyone else, it's pointless.

Agree. If it is Gibson's response to Fender VG Stratocaster, they totally failed!!
so the short answer is....its a complete two-thousand-dollar epic failure xD

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

You guys mad?

A mate of mine has the original robot guitar. Brilliant thing.

Especially for any session work.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Especially for any session work.
Actually that's pretty much exactly the wrong use for it. The Studio body isn't up the scratch for recording and the auto tunign is of no use in a studio environment where you can easily switch guitars or just retune your current one yourself.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Aside from the gimmicky electronics the guitars are fairly low end. I have played many of them since they came out IMHO worthless guitars. Just a gimmick to try and sell more guitars.

I see a lot of problems with these in the future and huge repair costs down the line. It wouldn't surprise me in 10 or more years you'll see these with replaced tuners, and electronics after they fail and are too expensive to fix. Guitarists have came this far without self tuning guitars they will go on for years to come without them. Gibson should cut their losses now and drop the line and try and improve the quality on what they are selling for guitars because IMHO their quality has gone down so much finding a good Gibby is a chore.

John
Sorry, I just don't agree.

For any studio work it's vital to be right in tune. And you can rest the engineer assured that your dead in.

Studio work is payed on a time basis. If you don't waste their time tuning and changing around guitars they will call you back (as long as you get a good, quick take).
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Whether you're in tune or not shouldn't be a problem. Any guitar that sounds good enough for recording should also have good enough tuners, nut and bridge, and you should by that point know how to restring properly, so that you can get it in tune in advance and you shouldn't need to retune until the guitar's spent at least a week being played. If you can't keep a regular, recording quality guitar bang-on in-tune for even one or two days then either you or the guitar should not be in a studio.

Secondly, get more than one guitar and switch between them if you need different tunings. You have that choice in a studio, sure you're paying by the minute but it takes under half a minute to switch guitars. On stage you don't get that luxury, which is where the Robot comes in.

I'll also reiterate the point that the Studio models, which the Robot is installed in, isn't up to scratch for recording purposes anyway.
**** it.

Fine. Whatever you say.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
**** it.

Fine. Whatever you say.

Flibble beats people down with his relentless logic and knowledge.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut

Flibble beats people down with his tiny penis and pointlessly stubborn mindset.

Fixed
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by willieturnip
Fixed

Don't feel bad,he's done it to us all at some point

Say what you want,but the man knows what he's talking about.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

flibble, what if someone plays a vintage strat or summat... no matter how much ground up graphite you put in the nut, it won't stay in tune for long, even with gentle vibrato
^Willie: lol?

Chill down dude. You were exactly as arrogant to the guy who posted the bias tube thread. And you come down to showing disrespect when he does have a point? Flibble really knows what he is talking about, he's not the common UG poster. It's true, to the point where you get into a studio, you better know your stuff by then. It's common sense. Also, by then, you should have more than 1 instrument as back up. It's like breaking a string and coming up to the engineers:

One secondz guys! Going to buy moar strings, I ran out of them...what size do I need again?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by willieturnip
Fixed
Uh-huh. Well that was... mature.

Well er, thank you people? But yeah, straight-forward logic and basic common sense do solve almost everything, are almost always impossible to dispute, and yet sadly they both seem to be greatly lacking in many U-G threads...

Quote by lozlovesstrats
flibble, what if someone plays a vintage strat or summat... no matter how much ground up graphite you put in the nut, it won't stay in tune for long, even with gentle vibrato
I'm not sure what Strats you've been playing to think this, but even my crappy old Squier Vintage Modified Strat could handle a couple of full dives in a row before going out of tune. Of course really you shouldn't be doing big dives on a vintage vibrato anyway.

If you're just using it for gentle vibrato, I really don't see why you should ever have a problem. Most higher-end Strats now have either graphite or LSR roller nuts anyway, locking tuners are becoming so common I wouldn't be surprised if even low-end guitars started coming with them as stock soon, and if you're still whacking all that out of tune after average use then either the guitar is in dire need of a basic set-up or you're trying to use that bridge in ways it shouldn't be used.

Sure there are some cheap Strat copies out there with awful bridges, awful nuts and awful tuners, the owners never get them setup properly and they expect to do dives and whatever - sure, those ones are going to go out of tune. But anything from a Squier Standard or better which is treated with any decent amount of care shouldn't really have any tuning problems.

Though Stetsbars and Bigsbys, those are a different story.

Not really seeing the relevence anyway. The Gibson Robot sure can't have a vibrato bridge. The closest thing that does is the VG Strat and the bridge and other hardware on that is pretty nice, at least as far as the spec sheets go. Really need to get my hands on one of those myself someday.