So I'm doing somewhat of an overhaul of my epi valve standard. I have decided on JJ's in terms of tubes ( 2 EL-84), and am torn between JJ's or Tungsol's to replace my 3 12Ax7's. I also would like to get a new speaker because the stock one is very muddy at times. Looking for something that is middle of the road as far as cleans and gain. No more than 100 to spend.

almost forgot. closed back
Last edited by wjhender at Feb 5, 2009,
a speaker can't be closed back...
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
a speaker can't be closed back...

obviously, but an amp can

oh and its 12 inch
Last edited by wjhender at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by wjhender
obviously, but an amp can

oh and its 12 inch

oh, so your saying that you need a speaker for a closed back amp, i thought you were saying you needed a closed back speaker
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'd go for tungsol tubes, JJ preamps are way too dark. As far as a speaker, I dunno, maybe greenback?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
The V30s are terrific speakers IMO, but they're pretty bright.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
also i think my amp has a cathode follower stage so wouldn't it be unwise to use the tung-sol's in them.(ref. all you need to know about tubes thread)
It's good the the V30 is bright. The valve standard is known for being very bass heavy.