Right then.

So as much as I want an 8 inch depth of cut for resawing, at £400, it's not gonna happen just yet.

I have spotted a secondhand bandsaw, that although basic as hell, seems good enough assuming I put good blades on it

It will cut 3 inches depth.

This should be sufficient for any guitar body right? And most sawing operations, necks etc, other than resaw?

Amirite?
cut basic shape, cut closer with a smaller saw, and sand body.

and don't put your thumb behind the material. i know someone that did. cut down the center of his thumb and through the nail and bone. it was gnarly.
cut basic shape, cut closer with a smaller saw, and sand body.

and don't put your thumb behind the material. i know someone that did. cut down the center of his thumb and through the nail and bone. it was gnarly.

^i dont think he read ur post at all did he?
3 inches should be fine
only thing i could think of is if ur were cutting across a neck blank to bring it more to shape before carving that might get above three inches
Quote by MichaelSpeer
^i dont think he read ur post at all did he?
3 inches should be fine
only thing i could think of is if ur were cutting across a neck blank to bring it more to shape before carving that might get above three inches

I don't think he did either, that's a minute or so of his life he won't be getting back!

Still, though obvious to me, the information was useful on the whole

As was yours. Thank you.
Quote by LP Addict
you dont want that, at 2'' thick you are nearly maxing it, and the blade will warp and will cut you an oval shape instead of a square cut. dont bother, keep saving your money.

I did consider this.

I am not expecting it to be super accurate. My thought, regarding bodies, that I could cut close, then finish with a router.

But for thinner wood etc, it should be ok, perhaps

Besides, it is a good secondhand one and should cost me £10 ($16?)

Cant be bad for that money.
If you're cutting out wood lower than 2" it should be ok. Just go nice and slow.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Is it just me or do we need a tool information/recommendation/discussion thread?
Quote by ESP_Shreder
agreed. I also agree with LP. Save your money dude. Good tools = Good results IMO

I am aware of this This is why I have several £400 spray guns, a £300 air brush and so on. But, I have my eye on a nice bandsaw that will cost me £500 and do 8 inch resaw work, but for the moment, I don't have £500 to blow on it.

So in the mean time, this cheap saw (only cheap because it's second hand and the guy won't post it, so he can't sell it), will suffice, assuming that a 80mm cut will be fine.

If I do something like an LP which is 2 inches plus, I will likely cut the back of the body first, then do the top, before sticking them together, so I wont need to go over 2 inches and then I can route everything neat and tidy.

Yes. We should have a Tools recommendation / uses / adaptations thread.
Quote by Skeet UK
I am aware of this This is why I have several £400 spray guns, a £300 air brush and so on. But, I have my eye on a nice bandsaw that will cost me £500 and do 8 inch resaw work, but for the moment, I don't have £500 to blow on it.

So in the mean time, this cheap saw (only cheap because it's second hand and the guy won't post it, so he can't sell it), will suffice, assuming that a 80mm cut will be fine.

If I do something like an LP which is 2 inches plus, I will likely cut the back of the body first, then do the top, before sticking them together, so I wont need to go over 2 inches and then I can route everything neat and tidy.

Yes. We should have a Tools recommendation / uses / adaptations thread.

Yes, yes, yes. I considered making an Ultimate What Tools Should I Buy thread, but since I don't know jack about what power tools are any good, I figured I'd be a bad OP, unlike Jim or lumberjack.

Please, oh guitar-building gurus, tell me what kind of router I should get!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer