im contemplating building a triple bucker strat, the idea is to run 3 humbuckers coil tapped by 2 fender style switches in order to be able to utilize every possible combination of coils, probly running 2 tone pots with a single master volume, and setting the two pickup switches one controlling the frount coils and the other controlling the rear coils in order to utilize every possible combination of coils. has anyone here ever attempted sutch a thing? and would the end result of sutch a wiring scheme be even wourth it? any suggestions, or ideas?

thanks guys,
Rontheninja
there've been a handfull of guitars that've done it, I don't think there's been a strat styled one that's been seen around often, but you shouldn't have much of a problem.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
It's been done before on other style bodies, but a strat might be nice. Go for it!
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Its not madness. ITS SPARTA!!
But yeah that sounds like a cool idea, sounds difficult too though. Lot a routing and wiring. Good luck though. Actually making a guitar of me own right now in my wood shop class. Trying to make like a firebird tele hybrid. It has a neck-through design and will have a headstock like a firebird, but it'll have the body style of a tele. Not sure what kinda pickups I'll put in it if I'm successful with setting the thing up.
There's a simpler way to do it. Get 3 on-off-on mini switches. Wire one to each humbucker so that it's on-off-coil tap. I have a strat like this it's awesome.
ok, i have a harness drawn up i will upload to my profile images, its based on a stock strat harness, but has the coils split to 2 5 point switches.

420 freak: ive seen a shecter with that setup, but i wanted to keep the positioning ease that the strat has with a standard switch, plus i didnt like the way mini switches looked, thanks for the sugestion though

prplhayesvp70: yes it is sparta! and this will be the strat other strats deam of being when they grow up.
All I gotta say is that if you do this, you better use all the positions and come up with some far out tones.
If not, I will hunt you down...and steal your guitar.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
lol the hard part will be selecting what 3 humbuckers to install,
probly the expensive part too
personally, i'd go with 3 on/off/on switches

with a 5-way for the north coils, and a 5-way for the south coils, you'd have less options, in a more inconvenient set-up (I'd say)
if you want to go completely insaine on this have a look at wiring it like a airline '59 3p.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose
lol i could just use 4 3 way fender switches, using one as a kill switch and the others for each hb
Last edited by rontheninja at Feb 7, 2009,
ok, wiring this set up is way more complex than i thought it would be, id like to be able to use every possible combination, anyone here hany with scematics?
Imagine if you had each north coil from the 3 pickups running into one 5 pos switch (wire them like a single coil strat), and the south coil from each of the 3 pickups running into a 2nd 5 pos switch.
Then add 2 killswitches, one for the norths and one for the souths, so that you can engage as few as 1 and as many as 4 coils at once. This would give you.... uhhh.... 35 different combinations of pickups to choose from, with as many as 4 coils active at once.
Switch A in positions 1-5, switch B disengaged
Switch B in positions 1-5, switch A engaged
Switch A in pos 1, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 2, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 3, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 4, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 5, B in 1-5

And it would only take 2 selector switches and 2 mini toggles. Then you could run a concentric vol/tone pot for each set (norths and souths) for unlimited blending madness!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Imagine if you had each north coil from the 3 pickups running into one 5 pos switch (wire them like a single coil strat), and the south coil from each of the 3 pickups running into a 2nd 5 pos switch.
Then add 2 killswitches, one for the norths and one for the souths, so that you can engage as few as 1 and as many as 4 coils at once. This would give you.... uhhh.... 35 different combinations of pickups to choose from, with as many as 4 coils active at once.
Switch A in positions 1-5, switch B disengaged
Switch B in positions 1-5, switch A engaged
Switch A in pos 1, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 2, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 3, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 4, B in 1-5
Switch A in pos 5, B in 1-5

And it would only take 2 selector switches and 2 mini toggles. Then you could run a concentric vol/tone pot for each set (norths and souths) for unlimited blending madness!

you my good man, are completely insane. Good idea though.
... wrote

Quote by MyDesertRose
Well played Wicked Rose