Anyone here know the pricing on their guitars? Im looking on picking one up. Their site doesnt have prices and I guess theres a waiting list. If you haven't seen them check them out nice ****ing guitars.

http://www.blackmachine.net/
I like Scotch...... Its good
Can't help you price-wise. I think they're ugly as sin, though. Lookslike something that belongs in Gears of War, especially the B2.

EDIT: not saying Gears is a bad game. I'm addicted to Gears. just making a statement.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Feb 5, 2009,
if you have to ask you can't afford :p

I'd guess it's upwards of £1500 but I've not had a quote.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If I remember right they're pretty expensive.The 7 and 8 models look really nice though.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yeah black machines are beasts, the thing about the waiting list is they only make about 6-8 guitars per year, yeah you heard that right.
From what I've heard (I have a friend in the UK who owns the B7 model) and he said it cost him 1600 but they start anywhere from 1200-1500 depending on what you want.

Edit: Keep in mind that those prices are all in pounds, so 1600 pounds equals about 2,300 U.S. Dollars, expensivo
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Last edited by Rufiothebandito at Feb 5, 2009,
I don't know why but I just love the way they look. Im going to email them and see about the wait.
The wait is best part of a year, booking doesnt start until 2010. The prices go from £2k upwards for premium models, dependant on upgrades (last i heard) But Doug did issue a few stripped down B2 models for about £1200-1500.

Incredible guitars, just wait for nolly to come along and adorn this thread for us, he has 2 currently.
B6 - £1350-1400
B2 - £2100
B7 - £2300
B8 - £2500
F8 - £2800

Prices include any pickups/hardware/body woods
Upcharges for private stock tops/fingerboards.

B6s will be made to order with 8 week lead times.
For any other model, you'll have to join the waiting list, currently 18-24 months long.

Bear in mind that Doug builds 10 hours a day, 7 days a week on average, and it takes him over a month to build a single guitar. Work that out in man-hours, subtract the raw material cost, and you'll see that his prices are actually insanely reasonable. He builds possibly the best guitars around, they're absolute tone monsters. Looks-wise, you either get it or you don't.

As hmmm_de_hum says, I have two currently, with another couple on the way this year.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
The wait is best part of a year, booking doesnt start until 2010. The prices go from £2k upwards for premium models, dependant on upgrades (last i heard) But Doug did issue a few stripped down B2 models for about £1200-1500.

Incredible guitars, just wait for nolly to come along and adorn this thread for us, he has 2 currently.

+1

On ss.org, Blackmachines are hailed as God's guitars.
Quote by Nolly
B6 - £1350-1400
B2 - £2100
B7 - £2300
B8 - £2500
F8 - £2800

For any other model, you'll have to join the waiting list, currently 18-24 months long.

Bear in mind that Doug builds 10 hours a day, 7 days a week on average, and it takes him over a month to build a single guitar. Work that out in man-hours, subtract the raw material cost, and you'll see that his prices are actually insanely reasonable. He builds possibly the best guitars around, they're absolute tone monsters. Looks-wise, you either get it or you don't.

As hmmm_de_hum says, I have two currently, with another couple on the way this year.

Right on que

Mwoit - Not only on ss.org are they hailed as god's guitars
Quote by Nolly
B6 - £1350-1400
B2 - £2100
B7 - £2300
B8 - £2500
F8 - £2800

Thanks for the info man. I emailed him a little bit ago. Truly beautiful guitars!
Quote by Staind4201
Thanks for the info man. I emailed him a little bit ago. Truly beautiful guitars!

No probs mate. You might not get a response for a bit, he's in the middle of a build at the mo (a B7 with a beautiful camphor burl top on a chambered mahogany body, solid Madagascan rosewood neck with a Cocobolo fretboard - it's going to be stunning), he usually avoids distraction while working hard.
I emailed him about a fanned fret 6 string, I know novax makes them but there not anything like how these black machines look
The F8 makes no sense. Unless someone can explain it.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by Staind4201
I emailed him about a fanned fret 6 string, I know novax makes them but there not anything like how these black machines look

Interesting, what scale lengths would you want, and what would you be tuning to?
Quote by Nolly
Interesting, what scale lengths would you want, and what would you be tuning to?

I honestly think im going to see if he will make a fanned fret baritone for me. Probably 27.7 - 28" scale length.
Quote by endless_fight1
The F8 makes no sense. Unless someone can explain it.

Off the Blackmachine website:

Quote by Doug Campbell, Blackmachine

Scale Length:

This is the most fundamental aspect of the design. It defines the character of the whole instrument. The main objective is good response for all strings. Problems generated here are often impossible to engineer out later so this subject requires careful consideration.

Long scale gives the benefit of more sustain due to increased tension. Bottom and top end harmonics are boosted but mids are reduced. So there is more cut and boom but the sound is twangier, purer. Short scale gives fatter mids with less bottom and top end. You can get loads of character this way due to the abundance of midrange harmonics to which the ear is most sensitive.

If you hear long and short scale guitars acoustically together you will notice the long scale has more piano like highs and crispness but the short scale to be more banjo like. That’s the easiest way I can describe it.

[Referring to the F8]

The solution was to keep the treble side short to preserve the mids of a conventional guitar whilst maintaining the string tension required to achieve good definition on the bass side. Scale length is 25.5" to 28".

I've played the F8s fairly extensively, and although the fanned frets feel a little strange at first, it's nothing you can't get used to within a few minutes (remember that although the angle between the nut and 24th fret is quite large, the angle between adjacent frets is really very small). In many ways the fanned fret system it is the ultimate approach for extended range guitars and basses.

I'm actually going to be custodian of Doug's personal F8 for a few weeks as of this coming weekend. It'll be interesting to see how it is to live with one.
Ah nice nolly, i didnt think any of your band's material was based around 8's? The clips i've seen/heard are all of 6's are they not?

Still very cool in getting to look after Dougs' F8, truly a gorgeous guitar.

Staind4021 - What tuning ideas do you have for the extra scale? Would be very interesting to see a fanned B6.
ormsby has made some like the f8, his site says the neck is even great for bar chords n such, as the bend follows the hand position
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Ah nice nolly, i didnt think any of your band's material was based around 8's? The clips i've seen/heard are all of 6's are they not?

Still very cool in getting to look after Dougs' F8, truly a gorgeous guitar.

Yeah it's all 6-string stuff so far for RSF. Borrowing the F8 is just for the hell of it really, I'm interested to see if it sparks off any creativity or if I find myself constantly gravitating to the low F# just because it's there. In a way I hope I don't find much use for it, because otherwise that's another shedload of cash I'll need to scrape together! This is the guitar btw:

Yeah i'm pretty sure i saw that at year before last's BM stand at the London guitar show...i know there was an 8 set up at least.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
Yeah i'm pretty sure i saw that at year before last's BM stand at the London guitar show...i know there was an 8 set up at least.

Ah yeah, Doug built up for that show.
Quote by Nolly
Ah yeah, Doug built up for that show.

Can you get his guitars with trem bridges? You seem to know a lot about him and the guitars he builds,so I figured I'd ask.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Can you get his guitars with trem bridges? You seem to know a lot about him and the guitars he builds,so I figured I'd ask.

No, he doesn't offer trems I'm afraid mate. He tried for a long time to get a Floyd system installed on one of his guitars, but the standard sustain block is literally to deep for the thin body - it would stick several mm out of the back. He's had one machined especially, but says that the compromise on sustain is too great, and hasn't pursued it any further.
Quote by Nolly
No, he doesn't offer trems I'm afraid mate. He tried for a long time to get a Floyd system installed on one of his guitars, but the standard sustain block is literally to deep for the thin body - it would stick several mm out of the back. He's had one machined especially, but says that the compromise on sustain is too great, and hasn't pursued it any further.

Ahh I see,that makes perfect sense.Despite the non trem bridge thing I'm still extremely interested in these guitars.They seem like phenomenal instruments so I think I can deal with a standard bridge for that level of quality and tone.Big question now,how do the necks feel on them? Is there any production model that you can compare their feel to?

Quote by Pr0gNut
Ahh I see,that makes perfect sense.Despite the non trem bridge thing I'm still extremely interested in these guitars.They seem like phenomenal instruments so I think I can deal with a standard bridge for that level of quality and tone.Big question now,how do the necks feel on them? Is there any production model that you can compare their feel to?

They really are unique necks, even to one another, as each is entirely hand-made without a jig. They all tend to combine aspects of an old Jackson Soloist and original JEM necks - thin, with a slight flatness in the back but very soft C-shape shoulders that are extremely comfortable. The profile flattens as you get higher too. The nut width is less than that of an Ibanez, and the boards are barely radiused at all. The bizarre thing is how comfortable they are for chording - they're not just for shredding. If you have a preference for a certain feel, Doug can shape it as necessary.
The B6 is slightly different though, they are made identically - a more classic, deeper C-shape without the flattened back, and a narrower nut width. Quite similar to a MusicMan Petrucci actually.
Quote by Nolly
They really are unique necks, even to one another, as each is entirely hand-made without a jig. They all tend to combine aspects of an old Jackson Soloist and original JEM necks - thin, with a slight flatness in the back but very soft C-shape shoulders that are extremely comfortable. The profile flattens as you get higher too. The nut width is less than that of an Ibanez, and the boards are barely radiused at all. The bizarre thing is how comfortable they are for chording - they're not just for shredding. If you have a preference for a certain feel, Doug can shape it as necessary.
The B6 is slightly different though, they are made identically - a more classic, deeper C-shape without the flattened back, and a narrower nut width. Quite similar to a MusicMan Petrucci actually.

Wow,that sounds like some of my favorite aspects thrown into one neck.Thanks for all the info man,I'm going to do more research but so far these seem like amazing instruments.I've been in the market for a high end custom shop instrument and black machine seems like they might be the right way to go,but the wait list thing kinda blows.

I think i've made my mind up, going to go with a 28" scale fanned fret 6 string baritone. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water lol
Quote by Staind4201
I think i've made my mind up, going to go with a 28" scale fanned fret 6 string baritone. Just thinking about it is making my mouth water lol

That's an interesting choice, you realise the fan would be very severe if you want 25.5" to 28" on a sixer?
Also, he will have to design that as a whole new idea, which with Doug, is no small matter. Likelihood is he'll want to build at least one or two prototypes before making a customer guitar version. As far as I know, he has no plans for a fanned 6, but he is building me a fanned 7 towards the end of this year.
Quote by Nolly
That's an interesting choice, you realise the fan would be very severe if you want 25.5" to 28" on a sixer?
Also, he will have to design that as a whole new idea, which with Doug, is no small matter. Likelihood is he'll want to build at least one or two prototypes before making a customer guitar version. As far as I know, he has no plans for a fanned 6, but he is building me a fanned 7 towards the end of this year.

Mike Mushok from Staind had his older baritone built by Novax that had a 28" scale check it out nolly, (its the first one) http://www.novaxguitars.com/sales/custom.html. I already have a 7 string Ibanez prestige. I was looking at the new schecter 8 string hellraiser or the ibanez rg2228 to go a little lower to mess around on but I don't know if ill buy it or not without trying it out for a little bit first. Ive always loved extended range guitars, but this time I think ill buy a custom baritone instead of the 8.
Quote by Staind4201
Mike Mushok from Staind had his older baritone built by Novax that had a 28" scale check it out nolly, (its the first one) http://www.novaxguitars.com/sales/custom.html. I already have a 7 string Ibanez prestige. I was looking at the new schecter 8 string hellraiser or the ibanez rg2228 to go a little lower to mess around on but I don't know if ill buy it or not without trying it out for a little bit first. Ive always loved extended range guitars, but this time I think ill buy a custom baritone instead of the 8.

I've seen the Mushok Novax guitar before, the fan looks a tad too steep for my liking.
How low are you going to tune?
Quote by Nolly
I've seen the Mushok Novax guitar before, the fan looks a tad too steep for my liking.
How low are you going to tune?

Most likely it will stay in Ab-Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb, but I think it will be fun to experiment with really low tunings
Quote by Pr0gNut
Wow,that sounds like some of my favorite aspects thrown into one neck.Thanks for all the info man,I'm going to do more research but so far these seem like amazing instruments.I've been in the market for a high end custom shop instrument and black machine seems like they might be the right way to go,but the wait list thing kinda blows.

Sorry, missed this.
Glad you're considering getting a BM, they're worth the wait!
Quote by Staind4201
Most likely it will stay in Ab-Db-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb, but I think it will be fun to experiment with really low tunings

Cool cool, well, I'd be interested to hear Doug's response. I don't think he's built a baritone 6 yet, let alone a fanned one.
Quote by Nolly
Cool cool, well, I'd be interested to hear Doug's response. I don't think he's built a baritone 6 yet, let alone a fanned one.

Ill let you know when he emails me back man! Again thanks for the info bro.