I play guitar and bass, and i have no problem coming up with songs on those instruments. But when I sit down and think of things, nothign great comes. Also, sometimes lyrics just come to me when I least expect it, and I have no place to write them down. So i forget them, and go back to sitting around for hours coming up with nothing worth continueing. How do I come up with lyrics to match what I have just written on guitar/bass? And how do i remember what I just thought of.
You need to write tabs mate! It's easy to do, just get yourself a folder/file and keep it all in one place, eeeasy. I'm in a very similar situation to your at the moment, me and my pet bassist have been writing some black metal riffs for just guitar and bass, but no doubt when I add a vocalist and a drummer to the band, I'll have to re-adapt the whole song to fit them in. 'Tis a tricky business, no doubt there. What sort of style are you playing?
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
I can play as many genres as i can think of. It just depends on the emotion I'm trying to get out of the song. If it's angy, I'd probably write in a more metal-based style, or whatever genre/style I'm trying to put out from the song.
Here is what I do and recommend: start out with your chord/scale progression and your main riff(depending on the genre).

Then find out the melody and syllable count that you are looking for in your lyrics. Next, just grab a pencil and paper and start playing your progression... keep the melody in your head and write down anything that comes to you.

Also, I find it hard to write lyrics for a completed instrumental... you're going to need to tweak it or writing for it will be a pain in the ass. If you're trying this, I suggest breaking down the instrumental into the basic riff and progression and starting from there.
Quote by decayingdave
You need to write tabs mate! It's easy to do, just get yourself a folder/file and keep it all in one place, eeeasy. I'm in a very similar situation to your at the moment, me and my pet bassist have been writing some black metal riffs for just guitar and bass, but no doubt when I add a vocalist and a drummer to the band, I'll have to re-adapt the whole song to fit them in. 'Tis a tricky business, no doubt there. What sort of style are you playing?

You are so transparent and obviously full of ****. You've been playing FIVE MONTHS. Lol!
Quote by gtmom
You are so transparent and obviously full of ****. You've been playing FIVE MONTHS. Lol!

Is there something wrong with you, mentally?

This is one of a ridiculous number of slurs you've put out against me... why? Don't you have any friends?!
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.