So i've finally decided to get down to learning my theory properly, and have been using the popular crusade articles, which are very good. I got a bit confused in this article about chord construction though/

So i understand what it means when it says;

Major 3rd + Minor 3rd = MAJOR CHORD

etc

,but im a bit confused as to why we don't just say Major 3rd + Perfect 5th instead, using the root note as the starting point for the whole thing. Basicly, what the article would say to do is:

C - Root note
E - Major 3rd above C
G - Minor 3rd above the E

Why can't we just say:

C - Root note
E - Major 3rd above C
G - Perfect 5th above C

I know its only a small detail, but i think it makes alot more sense to do it the second way. Is there a reason we say it this way? Does it matter which one i use?
Are You Shpongled..?
In my experience as long as you specify what note you are basing the interval on, it doesn't matter. I always use the root.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
1st way is how chords are theoretically built.

2nd way is analysis of the relationship towards the root.

If you only know the second, you will be fine most of the time, as long as you know how many halfsteps they are away from the root.

Actually if you know the 2nd way, you already know the first way, only it's just based on relation from 1 note to another.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Explaining it as stacking thirds makes more sense if you see it written on a staff.

When constructing chords they are made by stacking different combinations of major and minor thirds. The result is different combinations create different kinds of 3rd and 5th intervals.

So there is four different types of triad
Major Major = Major 3rd Augmented 5th = Augmeted triad
Major minor = Major 3rd Perfect 5th = Major triad
minor Major = minor 3rd perfect 5th = minor triad
minor minor = minor 3rd diminished 5th = diminished triad

Seventh chords add yet another major or minor third on top.

It doesn't matter which way you do it really.

I found the explanation in thirds helped me understand chord construction better cause you do it up to the sevenths and after that any extensions are just major. So the seventh chord is stacking thirds but a ninth chord just adding a major 9th to your stack of thirds regardless of the qualities of the rest of the chord.

This post is probably getting more confusing than anything else so I'm going to stop now.

Best of Luck
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 5, 2009,
Is there a reason we say it this way? Does it matter which one i use?

You will use the 2nd one as time goes on (as in general you will relate note choice to the tonic or the root of the current chord) - but it's important to be aware of the first.

I personally agree with you and think the second makes more sense to beginners, that's what I did for my theory vids.
tertian
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.