ive tried a couple different ways through my limited sources, but nothing worked good,

i can never record acoustic gutiars good, i tried using my all acoustic with just a normal microphone straight into the computer and it sucks

then i tried an acoustic electric micing the amp with the mic going straight into the computer then i tried plugging the A/E guitar straight into the computer

nothing works good, so a little help and possibly suggestions,
lol i did it with a rock band mic once... it actually wasnt all that bad. just get some mixing software than you can kill noise with
Quote by bobathon24
good condensor mic, good mixer

what would the mixer do to make it sound better, i wanna get a mixer eventually, but i do eq and panning and what not on the computer right now---------- so what would a mixer benifit the sound i guess?
I just got a new condenser the other day and I sounds amazing for recording acoustic, Ive just got it plugged straight into my Mbox and then PC
Are you pugging the mic into an interface or straight into your computer?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
Are you pugging the mic into an interface or straight into your computer?

straight into my computer lol, i dont have an interface or anything, cus once i get some cash im gonna buy a mixer and plug that into the computer but, ya just straight in

i get a good sound doing it for electric, but not acoustic
Quote by eberg2
straight into my computer lol,

Theres the problem, computer soundcards arent designed for recording, they're designed to be cheap and sound like ****.
forget the mixer, get a USB or Firewire interface.
remember that your recorded sound is only ever as good as the weakest link in the chain. you could have a good mic and a good pre-amp but a computer soundcard will still make it sound like ****.
Getting a good condenser and preamp is a good idea, but you should be able to get a reasonable sound with an dynamic mic. Try different positions for the mic and different distances away from the guitar.

Another thing could be if you have a very echoey room then the mic could be picking up reflections which will make it sound like, err, you're playing in an echoey room. Try draping some old curtains on the walls or put a large rug on the floor.

Then, once you've made a good recording, try a little reverb and maybe gentle compression on the computer.

Every mic and guitar combination works differently so you'll always have to experiment to get the best sound, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find a sweet spot!
Quote by TheDriller
Theres the problem, computer soundcards arent designed for recording, they're designed to be cheap and sound like ****.

+ 1

You really need to spend at least a little cash to get a decent sound.
"I quit my low carb diet when all i had the strength to do was sit and eat sausage and pork rinds and think, "this must be what it feels like to have cancer, a special kind of cancer that makes your poop float.""

This is br00t4l
Quote by thr4sh1ng_m3t4l
+ 1

You really need to spend at least a little cash to get a decent sound.

ya i know, but i mean, if i can get a good electric sound without out a lot of work, why cant i get a decent acoustic

Quote by SlappyTheFish
Getting a good condenser and preamp is a good idea, but you should be able to get a reasonable sound with an dynamic mic. Try different positions for the mic and different distances away from the guitar.

Another thing could be if you have a very echoey room then the mic could be picking up reflections which will make it sound like, err, you're playing in an echoey room. Try draping some old curtains on the walls or put a large rug on the floor.

Then, once you've made a good recording, try a little reverb and maybe gentle compression on the computer.

Every mic and guitar combination works differently so you'll always have to experiment to get the best sound, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find a sweet spot!

lol, ive tried just about everyposition i can think of, i rap a towel around the mic to kill noise sometimes, ive tried it with a towel, without one, im honestly at a loss

and aslo, wouldnt a mixer kind of act as an interface??
This might be a daft question; but does you acoustic actually sound good?

Mixers do have mic preamps, sometimes good sometimes not so good. I use a separate preamp and then just feed that directly into the desk, bypassing the desk's preamp (which are pretty good, but the preamp has a nice sound).

Wrapping a towel around the mic won't really cut out the sound of the room - is it possible to try another room?

Perhaps you could describe your setup; mic, preamp, mixer, soundcard, and so on - might help diagnose the problem.

Is it possible you have a dodgy cable?

Another thing you could try, if your acoustic has a pickup then you could try recording that too, so you have two separate tracks - and then try mixing them together.
Quote by SlappyTheFish
This might be a daft question; but does you acoustic actually sound good?

Mixers do have mic preamps, sometimes good sometimes not so good. I use a separate preamp and then just feed that directly into the desk, bypassing the desk's preamp (which are pretty good, but the preamp has a nice sound).

Wrapping a towel around the mic won't really cut out the sound of the room - is it possible to try another room?

Perhaps you could describe your setup; mic, preamp, mixer, soundcard, and so on - might help diagnose the problem.

Is it possible you have a dodgy cable?

Another thing you could try, if your acoustic has a pickup then you could try recording that too, so you have two separate tracks - and then try mixing them together.

other rooms dont do anything, the towel helps cus i have a lot of fans and what not to keep it dry since its my basement, and my setup is

10 dollar walmart mic, that sounds surprisingly good for 10 dollars striaght into the line in on my computer

i tried using a different acoustic with a pickup and miced the amp and it sucked, then i plugged the guitar straight into the computer using 1/4 to 1/8'' chord and it sucked and yes my acoustic actually sounds good,
10 dollar walmart mic, that sounds surprisingly good for 10 dollars striaght into the line in on my computer

I think the problem is two-fold:

1. A $10 mic is going to sound terrible. If you want to make good recordings then I think you'll need to invest a bit in a good mic.

2. The second thing is that you're connecting the mic into the line-in. The line-in is designed for larger signals, such as those from mixing desks, singals from mics are generally several orders of magnitude smaller. Try connecting into the mic-input of your soundcard. If your soundcard doesn't have a mic input then you'll need to use a pre-amp or mixing desk, but with a $10 mic it's not really worth it.