Whats up guys? I have been thinking a lot about this and decided I'd post it in the pit to see what some musicians thought about it.

So I know a lot of people bash on My Chemical Romance. I'm guilty of bashing on them to, this is my opinion (and a lot of people agree) but whatever. They're not the greatest. Anyway, that's not what this thread is about. While listening to one of those alternative stations on the radio (I hate the radio, and I forgot my Ipod)one of their songs came on. I had no Idea it was them and most of you are probably familiar with the song, Welcome to the Black Parade and I'm not afraid to say this song reminded me of Queen for about 1:43 seconds I liked it (Flame me if you want but this is what I think). Now let me ask you this. If Queen would have released this same song with 1:43 playing in the begining would people like this song more? Would people stop bashing this song because the name behind it was Queen and not a band like My Chemical Romance (Once again, I am no where near of fan on MCR)

Now here is another one that's been on my mind a lot longer then MCR's song.

Ozzy's Mamma I'm coming home. Everyone knows this song like the back of their hand. This song is not my favorite from Ozzy, I know it's a rock ballad but A LOT of people are in love with this song. Now if a band like My Chemical Romance or another Poppy Sort of band were to come out with this song RIGHT NOW in this year 2009, would it be on the "bash list"? If Ozzy never had anything to do with it, I think that this song would not be as popular or as liked as it is today. So what do you guys think?

This has just been on my mind for a while and wanted to share it with you all. Sorry if I didn't make it clear enough. Discuss?

Mamma I'm coming Home -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GZlJr1c48k

Welcome to the Black Parade (0:00-1:43)-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2x3368UKjM

(Yes, I am I fan of Queen )

UPDATE:

So I just recently listened to the new slipknot CD, they're far from nu metal now, but i know to the pit they will always be nu metal. The song "This Cold Black" and off the back it reminded me of Dream Theater up til about a minute of the song.
I've actually showed this to people who can't stand Slipknot, and are a fan of Dream Theater, and they seemed not to like it regardless. I think that if Slipknot didn't make this song and Dream Theater would've made the begining, it would've been liked a lot more by these guys. What do you guys think.
Here's the Slipknot song This Cold Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXm-9CLMQo

And here's a Dream Theater song to compare it to Stream of Consciousness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2d2MWy88DU&feature=PlayList&p=2150A3F47A629AED&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

What do you guys think. If Dream Theater was the name behind this song and Not slipknot would it be liked more?

TL;DR:
Basically I'm comparing songs that sound similar to classic bands made by newer "disliked" bands and asking "If Newer X band didn't make this song and Legendary X band did, would people appreciate it more, or even like the song at all?"
Last edited by l33TgUiT@rd00d at Jun 8, 2009,
Why are so many threads relating to MCR? Gah!

Edit: After actually reading what you wrote:

It's true what you say. If one artist releases a song, everyone might hate it. If a more popular artist made the same thing, they'd be all over it.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
I have heard a lot of older riffs repeated in popular songs nowadays. Sadly, people don't know where they come from and mistakenly give credit to those artists rather than the original ones. Me personally, I can't stand modern music, not because there's no talent or it's just "bad", I just for some reason don't like it and can't stand modern production. It sounds ridiculous to say that I prefer decent production quality over that of great quality, but I can't rationalize it besides that.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by pHaKe
I have heard a lot of older riffs repeated in popular songs nowadays. Sadly, people don't know where they come from and mistakenly give credit to those artists rather than the original ones. Me personally, I can't stand modern music, not because there's no talent or it's just "bad", I just for some reason don't like it and can't stand modern production. It sounds ridiculous to say that I prefer decent production quality over that of great quality, but I can't rationalize it besides that.

I agree with you 100%

The Wrong Record Label will destroy a band when they want to put you on the radio
I do agree to an extent. I mean, I'm sure that there would be things each band would do different here and there, creating the same song nevertheless, but a different voice would be heard too. On the other hand if the bands DID do it exactly the same, you'd still have legions of MCR fans backing it up, because MCR fans are probably the MOST loyal-to-the-point-of-crazy fans I've ever met! ;P

But man are you right about the MCR/Queen comparison. I never thought of that before, and its kinda cool/weird to think about. I'm not a fan of MCR, but I'm not a basher, and we even cover one of their songs in my band; and I'm not a super huge Queen fan either, but I can definitely hear either band doing that part.
Yeah everything after 1:43 doesn't sound like queen at all. But just saying maybe that could've been an intro or something to an album. If someone told me that was queen wrote that, I wouldn't have any reason not to believe them
Hm.

Well if the Plain White T's came out with something like Carnifex, they would be bashed.
love is love // return to dust
If MCR bashers (I actually hate them, but I'm not part of the group I'm talking about) realized that MCR sounds like Queen, then they would just argue that MCR tries too hard to copy Queen.

Btw, Cracked has noticed the similarity between the two bands already. If I remember right, they said that MCR tried to replicate Queen's music, but wrote serious songs instead of humorous ones, making the music far less enjoyable.
Josh Homme writes the greatest lyrics EVAR:
"I wish we could get away
Drink wine and screw"

"Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol
C-C-C-C-Cocaine!"

"I wanna lick you too much"

Own this Black Sabbath shirt?
You make a valid point.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
the difference between queen's epic songs and my chemical romance's welcome to the black parade is that queen knew they were being kind of goofy with how grand they were trying to be and they embraced it, my chemical romance takes themselves so seriously that it's embarrassing, and for as much weight as i put on lyrical quality, i'd be a hypocrite to say i could stand that song. queen intended drunk karaokers to scream about the fandango, my chemical romance were so arrogant as to presume they were changing lives. if you like the song, have at it, but i can't even listen to it these days.
I was also going to say Trivium sounding like Metallica and no body liking them still but there is to much to argue . Same goes wit Throwdown and Pantera sounding a like. atleast I think so
Yeah, there are two types of people when it comes to disliking certain groups. The first type is the one who says MCR is rubbish because everyone around him says it and he doesn't want to feel left out. Type two says he doesn't like MCR due to *insert rational reason*

For example, despite the whole Slipknot hate thing going on, there are some Slipknot songs I am able to listen to...until the vocals come in. But that's a matter of taste.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by l33TgUiT@rd00d
I was also going to say Trivium sounding like Metallica and no body liking them still but there is to much to argue . Same goes wit Throwdown and Pantera sounding a like. atleast I think so

Shogun > Death Magnetic

/flameshield
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
So I just recently listened to the new slipknot CD, they're far from nu metal now, but i know to the pit they will always be nu metal. The song "This Cold Black" and off the back it reminded me of Dream Theater up til about a minute of the song.
I've actually showed this to people who can't stand Slipknot, and are a fan of Dream Theater, and they seemed not to like it regardless. I think that if Slipknot didn't make this song and Dream Theater would've made the begining, it would've been liked a lot more by these guys. What do you guys think.
Here's the Slipknot song This Cold Black:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzXm-9CLMQo

And here's a Dream Theater song to compare it to Stream of Consciousness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2d2MWy88DU&feature=PlayList&p=2150A3F47A629AED&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=5

What do you guys think. If Dream Theater was the name behind this song and Not slipknot would it be liked more?
i can think of a perfect example of that...

Joe Satriani...

>.>

<.<

>.<
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
i can think of a perfect example of that...

Joe Satriani...

>.>

<.<

>.<

I agree, the coldplay sounds VERY similar

heres a link to that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEGGFJLpbu4&feature=related
To elongate the My Chemical Romance-Queen comparison listen to the song "The End" by them. It's pretty good and it has overdubbed vocal harmonies like a lot of Queens music. The vocalist from My Chemical Romance even admitted with The Black Parade they wanted to sound like Queen.

Also, My Chemical Romance fans are not as hardcore as you think. They really lost 3/4 of their original fanbase with The Black Parade. However, then they gained the mainstream support.
I really think you have to consider the quality of the band when they come out with a single. I mean the very very first single I heard from MCR I didn't think was to bad. But when I actually did pick up the cd I was not that excited with what I heard. If they were to release Mama im coming home instead of Ozzy it would be a great hit yes, but when people first hear of this new great song from MCR they are not going to be as likely to listen to it as they would if it were a new sweet ass Ozzy song.

*edit*
Quote by aznrockerdude
Shogun > Death Magnetic

/flameshield

I agree 100000000%
Last edited by Guitarfreak777 at Jun 8, 2009,
I completely agree with you there. Forty or fifty years from now, people are probably going to talk about how legendary MCR is, and bash on all the bands that are popular at that time, even though it is highly likely that with the evolution music will go through in the intervening years, the future stuff will be better.

On a similar note, some Pit monkeys probably know that I am not much of a fan of Bob Dylan. Though to be honest a portion of my comments might be considered "trolling," the bottom line is that he is not a very good lyricist at all. His "legendary" status really only stems from the time in which he grew popular. I guarantee that if someone like Blake Schwarzenbach or Jesse Lacey had been around in the sixties instead of the nineties and today, respectively, they would have attained at least the same status, if not far greater. People tend to judge things on their reputation rather than any actual merit.

It's the same thing with bands like The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Sure, they were influential, but in my opinion they don't really have any reason to claim the title of best band ever. Again, their popularity is a function of when they came to prominence, and the legend that has grown from that. Take a good modern band, like Muse, Bloc Party, hell, even Fall Out Boy or Green Day, and put them in the sixties, and they would achieve the same status.

Not to say that early rock bands were bad, of course. A big part of their legend stems from their innovations and influences in later music, and deservedly so. However, bands have not stopped innovating, not by a long shot. Just because they haven't been around long enough for their impact to be observed doesn't mean modern bands aren't as good, as innovative, as early rock groups.

This brings me back to Bob Dylan again, and the main reason I dislike him and refuse to listen to his music: he has stated unequivocally that he thinks modern music is bad. This, beyond any argument, is just plain wrong. Modern music is better than any time in history. It is better, though, only because of the innovations earlier artists were able to make, and later groups borrowed and expanded upon. I definitely prefer listening to Bloc Party over The Rolling Stones, but the former most likely wouldn't have been able to exist without the innovations of the latter. Music is always evolving, and the successful bands are like the advantageous mutations of early species. I don't think it's possible to argue that early hominids were more advanced than modern humans, but they were a necessary part of our evolution, and without those specific mutations human evolution could likely have proceeded down a vastly different path.

The bottom line is, I think bands should be judged not based on who they are or when they came about, but on their output and on the quality of their music in itself. If you prefer listening to Queen, fine. If you enjoy My Chemical Romance songs more, that is fine as well. But don't say that one is good and the other is terrible, based on something other than the disembodied quality of their music. Taste is subjective, after all, but judging bands by their reputation rather than their music is just ridiculous.

TL;DR: Often times bands are judged based off when they formed rather than their music as a whole. Modern music builds off their innovations, but it will probably have the same sort of influence on future music. Take a good, or even average modern band and place them in the sixties, and they would get the same legendary status as those other early artists.

Bottom line: Think for yourself.
kill all humans
People do that to have something to complain about mostly. Truth be told i personally dont like their music but MCR is talented i'll have to give them that. And i respect their music for that. But mostly everybody now days just trash bands based on looks change of musical direction blah blah blah. Its hardley ever about the music anymore.
My signature has doubled...
Quote by alaskan_ninja

TL;DR: Often times bands are judged based off when they formed rather than their music as a whole. Modern music builds off their innovations, but it will probably have the same sort of influence on future music. Take a good, or even average modern band and place them in the sixties, and they would get the same legendary status as those other early artists.

Bottom line: Think for yourself.

Ya theres not a lot of open minded people. Those types of Trends are killing music.
For me on average all the new music today is worse than 20 years ago. Like I listen to rush and pinkfloyd, even stuff like meatloaf and enjoy it way more than the music that everyone now is completely in love with.

I was born 40 years to late im sure of it
I was hoping you could go with me and when you went with me we could hold hands and I could call you my real girlfriend.