I've recently picked this amp up and I'm really digging the sounds I can get. The only problem is the fact that it's a little too bright for the tone I'm after (a smooth lead suitable for prog, jazz fusion etc.)

So basically, my question to you good people is; how should I go about reducing this unwanted 'ice pick' and smoothing out my tone a little? My current rig is as follows;

MXR Zakk Wylde OD -> Boss GE7 -> Boss DD-2 -> GH50L + GS212IE
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
down with the treble and presence
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Done. Can't really get any lower if I'm honest haha.

Thanks anyway
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
1. Make high freq adjustments on your GE-7
2. Lower the tone dial on the ZW OD pedal to reduce highs.
3. Lower the mids, the amp naturally has a lot of mids already.
4. Lower your treble significantly and raise the presence.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
1. Tone knob.

2. speaker change.

3. EQ.
Thats for all the suggestions guys. I've tried most of the simple fixes (EQ adjustments, tone know etc.) and I'm getting close to the sound I'm after.

I'm a little too strapped for cash atm, but I would definitely consider switching the tubes. Which would be the best 6L6s and how many would I need?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I thought that at first as well when i got my GH100L.

I now have the presence on 8.5 and the treble on 5

It's a tone you will get used to and learn to love

I have the presence at 10 on my VC50 :P

Try these settings

Presence-8.5
Gain-8
Drive-8
Treble-5
Middle-7
Resonance- On

Hi input
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Thanks sharpant, those are some good settings. I remember watching your videos when I was deciding whether or not to get the amp haha. Nice playing

Tbh, I'm a huge Paul Gilbert fan but I'm looking for a slightly smoother, warmer tone, his is a little more harsh to my ears.

I've kinda decided to opt for the tube switch and 6L6s look like my best bet. Could anyone recommend a brand and explain to me the general process of switching? So far, through defining what i'm looking for, JJ looks like my best bet.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I have JJ's in mine, didn't make an amazing change but they do they job. If you want a warmer smoother tone 6L6's are the way to go mate

I love the raw in your face tone the E34L gives me

Thanks for the compliments
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I would look at simply switching the V1 preamp tube first before doing an expensive poweramp retube.
The V1 preamp tube has a HUGE affect on an amp's tone. The preamp is the voice of any amp. Although EL34's have more bite and edgier mids than 6L6's, a change won't affect how the amp sounds as much as a preamp tube swap.
You might have some really harsh, thin sounding preamp tubes in there right now. A few JJ ECC83S's at $12 a piece might solve your problem. Worst case scenerio, you'll have some spare preamp tubes on hand.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 6, 2009,
Thanks for the advice. If I were to switch out the pre amp tubes (which certainly seems the cheaper option) would I need to modify the amp in any way? Or is a simple pull-out and plug-in job?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
GH don't do subtle.
You'd be best using some kind of disto or maybe even saving for a new amp.
Quote by Sir Daniel
Thanks for the advice. If I were to switch out the pre amp tubes (which certainly seems the cheaper option) would I need to modify the amp in any way? Or is a simple pull-out and plug-in job?
They are just pull out and plug in. For your amp, I would avoid Electro Harmonix, Tungsol preamp tubes because they are somewhat bright sounding to begin with.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ah Brilliant.

Horlicks: I wouldn't want to waste money on a new amp, because I'm pretty much in reaching distance of what I'm after. Even a minimal decrease in the brightness would give me the tone I want

Once again, thanks for the help everyone
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Put your treble around 5,
roll down the presence to about 3
take out the zakk wylde OD,
set the highest frequency on the GEQ down somewhat
use a neck pickup.
adjust gain accordingly.
if that doesn't get you something smooth, i don't know what will.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer