I'm finally dusting off the Fender that I took off my friends hands and I'm going to replace the broken tubes now. The thing is, I don't know which tubes. I know the tubes are a 12ax7, a 6v6, and a 5y3. The thing I'm wondering is, do only certain brands work? anything to look out for or match up before I start buying tubes left and right all willy nilly.
No, it's the right forum. Any brand of tube should do, as long as it's the right type. You probably have to bias it too