i have an epiphone dot. the neck is sticky cuz of the gloss on the back. this annoys me.

what grit of sandpaper should i use to sand this off without making it look like ****?
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by forstringwonder
i have an epiphone dot. the neck is sticky cuz of the gloss on the back. this annoys me.

what grit of sandpaper should i use to sand this off without making it look like ****?

I want to know the same thing... some relatively high grit, I'd think (above 300?).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I want to know the same thing... some relatively high grit, I'd think (above 300?).

yeah me too that seems right i guess well have to wait for an official answer
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
You'll completely ruin it if you do anything like that.
Gear;
- B.C. Rich Warbeast Bloodbound
- B.C. Rich NT Zombie 5-String Bass
- BOSS GT-10 Multi Effects TANK!
...In other words, I'm taking a giant dump on fender owners who use pods.
not above 300. more like above 1000. id say somthing like 1500 grit ought to do it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by decayingdave
You'll completely ruin it if you do anything like that.

Shut up.

A sticky neck is hard to play. What is to ruin?

As I said, a green Scotch pad, like you use to wash dishes.

Not too coarse, not to fine, will leave you with a satin finish, smooth as a babies bum.
Gloss necks are only marginally stickier. Keep that in mind.

Even then, the change will bring nearly a 0% increase in proficiency. (it does feel better though). Keep that in mind.

Use 0000 steel wool.

Rub in circles, quite lightly.

After a few minutes you will lose the gloss. Worked brilliantly, and you can't identify the scratch marks, so it looks fine.
the gloss should;nt be sticky in the first place.my acoustics neck was and my dad said it hasnt been painted or clearcoated properly if it turns out sticky.

(my dad has painted guitars and necks before at his work and none of them turned out sticky ) mine didnt he just painted it this week aswell.

but i would say 500 sandpaper if you dont want to wreck it
no. gloss is naturally sticky. not sticky as in soft, sticky as in its hard to glide your hand up and down the neck. and its going to need much higher grit than 500 to not wreck it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
just a dumb question but you do polish your guitar often and wipe down the neck after you play it right?
yah maybe start with like 1000 then move up to a 1500 then a 2000. It will be smooth and not sticky, or you could sand it all right off and tru oil it, that'll make it feel like butter.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Almost everyone in here is wrong.

Sand it with 400 grit.

I speak from first hand experience.

If you don't, I suggest you shut up.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Albino_Rhino
Almost everyone in here is wrong.

Sand it with 400 grit.

I speak from first hand experience.

If you don't, I suggest you shut up.

Yeah, the Scotch Pads I was on about are around 600 I guess.

Takes a touch longer, but less easy to over do it.
Yes, 600 is very nice as well, I used is for my tung oiled necks.

You get sandpaper at hardware stores and home improvement places.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
I don't think people realise that 400 grain is actually quite fine.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
otter, you dare tell me im wrong?

400? really? hm, thats why it took me too long to redo that neck on my epiphone....okay, maybe start with 400 and finish with 1000 just so it doesnt look like you sanded it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
here is an idea.

put a plaster/band aid on your thumb where it touches the back of the neck.
that should get rid of most of the friction and you wont have to wreck yuour guitar.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
yeah i would use 360 or 400, maybe even a slightly coarser one to start with and work up to finer grit. anything finer grit than 400 will take forever to sand off if thats all you use. you can probably find it at a local woodworkers shop or online
The aim isn't to sand anything off, just to rough up the clear so it isn't glossy/sticky.

AJK I never said you were wrong.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Quote by Albino_Rhino
The aim isn't to sand anything off, just to rough up the clear so it isn't glossy/sticky.

So I was right? WOOHOO!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Of course you could just slather it with KY Jelly. Man, you guys obsess about some insignificant $#!t.
Can you play or not?
Quote by Albino_Rhino

Your not really roughing it either. A true smooth finish, is smooth not sticky. It is only the orange peel and general unevenness of the lacquer, that causes it to stick, to a point.

So you are simply flating the lacquer.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
id say somthing like 1500 grit ought to do it.

Yep
Quote by shinhoman
here is an idea.

put a plaster/band aid on your thumb where it touches the back of the neck.
that should get rid of most of the friction and you wont have to wreck yuour guitar.

x

lol

+1
dear skeet uk,

the green scotch pad thing worked perfectly.

much love, me.
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
if you want to leave finish on the neck and just take the gloss off, hit it with 1000 wet. if you want it down to the wood you could go 400 or just use a razor blade to scrape it all off and then fine sand it with a finer grit.