I need to know how John Frusciante does that shredding-like effect he uses it live a lot. a good example is the suck my Kiss Woodstock 99 solo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBuGjGrQVTM or in at the end of the Dani California solo and plenty of his other live solos.
Waht effects does he use?, what techniques? or anything else. Please Help. Thanks in advance
Last edited by cc1903 at Feb 6, 2009,
You mean as in the latter part of the Dani California solo? I too would like to know how he does this.
Quote by Turkeyburger
It's not cool to make fun of people with disabilities.....

(Being Norwegian is a disability)

Quote by BK202

wah, overdrive, errr.... maybe some fuzz?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Sounds like some heavy chorus/flanger plus a wah or phaser on top of it. Plus I think he really is just picking it that fast, or scratching all the strings at once and just muting what he doesn't want to ring.
Um...he's just playing fast with some wah and fuzz/OD. Nothing too hard to figure out or replicate.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
in that particular version it sounds like chorus+wah+overdrive along with the natural od of his amp
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by therealtater
does he have some kind of tampon fetish? and I didnt really need to see the naked guy either, maybe he is shredding though I couldnt find what part you were talking about though

i believe the tampon idea was kiedis....but you never know....

and yes, that throaty sound is sometimes him trem picking everything, including the open string while he isnt fretting them (see the suck my kiss studio solo for this concept)

^^^ didnt mean to sound so.....know-it-all...sorry 'bout that. i mean, like i guess that is where some of that throaty sound is from.
yeah its mostly coming from just quick playing i think, with whatever distortion/overdrive he's using, but the most important bit's teh quick playing.
Quote by Skierinanutshel
umm...skill?

the man can indeed play fast, you know.

Yeah, I don't know how or why nobody knows that Fruciante is a top notch guitarist...but he's a top notch guitarist, you'd think nobody had ever heard him play before. But yeah, 1. he's a badass with a guitar, 2. it sounds like his pickups are out of phase.
Okay, I finally figured it out. I plugged my big Muff before my Vox wah and then turn on another distortion pedal, and an Overdrive. and Voila shred it's amazing.
Quote by John Frusciante
I played the original solo when we recorded the basic tracks, and then doubled it later, except for the super-fast wah part at the end, which was too difficult to double perfectly, so I put that section through a Delta Labs Effectron II digital delay set to a quick delay with just a touch of slow modulation.

For the Dani California solo.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by david_highland
Yeah, I don't know how or why nobody knows that Fruciante is a top notch guitarist...but he's a top notch guitarist, you'd think nobody had ever heard him play before. But yeah, 1. he's a badass with a guitar, 2. it sounds like his pickups are out of phase.

its seems everyone on this forum "knows" he is a great guitarist. they shove him dwn my throat everyday.

*trying to keep my opinion to myself*
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
its seems everyone on this forum "knows" he is a great guitarist. they shove him dwn my throat everyday.

*trying to keep my opinion to myself*

+1
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era