so i just got titus andronicus's debut, "the airing of grievances."
i'd been meaning to pick it up for a while, mainly because in sixth grade i was titus andronicus in a production of the "condensed works of william shakespeare," a play where they do every shakespeare play in 90 minutes. plus, seinfeld references!

but anyway, i haven't really really dug into the album yet, but "upon viewing brueghel's 'landscape with the fall of icarus'" is one of the most badass songs i've heard in a while. and on the first couple of listens, the whole album seems pretty solid. just wondering if anyone else had thoughts.

to me, they sound kind of like the twilight sad meets a punkier e street band. but whatever.

http://www.myspace.com/titusandronicus
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Last edited by Fugazirancid at Feb 5, 2009,
The Airing of Grievances is great. I love the E Street feel (is it just me, or is the harmonica part of "Joset of Nazareth's Blues" lifted from "Promised Land" by Springsteen?). I would've liked better production, but some people like it really rough.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Ahh! I saw them also. Sooo good.

Plus, the bassist was wearing a No Age shirt, and I proceeded to tell him how amazing it was at the merch booth after the show.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
How about, "F*CK EVERYTHING! F*CK ME!!!"
I like the debut when it's not on repeat...
hysterical.
I like 'em.

No more cigarettes, no more having sex,
No more drinking til you fall on the floor,
no more indie rock, just a ticking clock
You've no time for that any more!

Fucked up disaffected angst. Tight band too.

Just got a limited edition live lp by them, not played it yet though. It has a cover of The Modern lovers' Roadrunner which has to be ace.
So I saw these guys a second time, opening for Ted Leo a few nights ago. Just as swell as the first.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Can people pretty please start posting tabs? I made a stab at Fear and Loathing in Mahwah, NJ, but I'd love to see a couple others up here.
Quote by worsethansex
Can people pretty please start posting tabs? I made a stab at Fear and Loathing in Mahwah, NJ, but I'd love to see a couple others up here.

Agreed. I mean, I can't tab by ear, so this is incredibly hypocritical, but I really want to play Arms Against Atrophy.

Titus have been my favorite band for the past 6 months or so. Impressive considering they only have one album.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Quote by RawPower218
I guess I'll bump this because The Monitor is so awesome.

Damn straight, it is. It's definitely one of my top 3 albums of the year so far.

Also kind of disappointed about the lack of tabs from The Monitor. I'm really, really bad with transcribing anything, but I accidentally found the little lick that starts one of the solos (I think it's "A More Perfect Union):

E:---------------------------------------
A:---------------------------------------
D:--4-5-7-5-4-------------------------
G:---------------------------------------
B:---------------------------------------
E:---------------------------------------

I know it's basically nothing, but maybe it will spur someone to action. The album is too awesome not to be able to play .
My favourite band for sure!

So much energy in their music. Wish i could see them live, shame they don't tour in the UK much.

The Monitor is such a great album which i can't stop listening too.

The Airing of Grievances is also amazingly good and i can't get enough of them.
The Monitor is a great album. I love it so much.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm bumping this. My friend mentioned the band "Civil Wars" and asked me if I liked them, so I said yes and she said she'd burn me a CD. I was pumped, so I went and youtubed the Civil Wars and turns out I was thinking of Titus Andronicus, but I got the name all ****ed up. So I just spent an hour searching wikipedia for band names that would be familiar.

But I love Titus Andronicus.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
The Monitor blew everything away last year.
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

Monitor was good, I'd say top 20 for 2010 for me. Really fun album to listen to.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I think overall I like the Monitor more as an album, but Arms Against Atrophy is by far my favorite song by them. To me, this band's always reminded me of Conor Oberst's more punk-oriented band, the Desaparecidos, another great band.
Quote by skmelanie
I think overall I like the Monitor more as an album, but Arms Against Atrophy is by far my favorite song by them. To me, this band's always reminded me of Conor Oberst's more punk-oriented band, the Desaparecidos, another great band.

Titus is way better but that is exactly what i thought when I first heard these guys.
I've been getting into The Monitor a li'l bit recently. Didn't really strike as wtf-this-is-so-good like I was expecting the first time around, but I'm digging it now. Kinda excited for the new album, but I'm not sure if I wanna listen to it before or after I'm familiar with the rest of their discog.
Well it's aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright the way that you live, it's alright the way that you live
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump