Page 1 of 6
Ok I'm going to be updating this thread as this project moves along, explain why I did what I did and so on. Kind of a picture p0rn thread, some insights and a record of my progress on this project. I'm not sure how long this project will take as I'm still gathering parts. I'm not trying to get a dead on 5150 clone with wear and so on thats kind of impossible. Going to relic it myself by *gasp* playing it!

Anyways, here's the plan for the project itself:

Kramer 5150

Southeast Area 51 poplar body
Customwoods neck unfinished
80's Chrome OFR
Schaller Mini's
80's Seymour Duncan JBJ

I chose poplar as the body wood for several reasons. There is lots of debate as to what Ed's real 5150 body is made out of. Some believe it was basswood, some say ash and also poplar cause thats what Kramer was making Pacer Specials out of at the time which is what the 5150 is, a modified Pacer Special body but with a custom neck made by Paul Unkert in Kramers custom shop. I went with poplar as I have a poplar '83 Pacer Special and its amazing.

The 80's Floyd I scored for a good deal which I think are better quality then current production German made OFR's and more period correct also. The 80's JBJ which is currently on its way in the mail was recommended from several guys from Kramer Forum who've done their own 5150.
The paint will be rattle can, applied without a clear coat like the original. I live in an apartment and unfortunately cannot paint it myself which I'd love to do but going to have one of the main guys at Kramer Forum do that for me. Other then that I'm not sure if I'm missing anything out so I'll post some pictures of what I got so far....

The body:

OFR:

2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
hmm, looks interesting. im keeping tabs on this one.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Awesome. My cousin did one of these and it turned out great.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Yea its going to be good. The body itself is made by hand by Warren at Southeast Guitars. No CNC machines in his shop, pretty much the closest you can get to a real Kramer body without going back in time and stealing one from the original factory
time machine, here i come!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Just a small addition. The SD JBJ that will be going in there. The J means that it was wound by Maricela Juarez who is now the SD Custom Shop Manager. Freaking tough pickup to find!
Naa man, forget the time machine

Thanks for showing interest guys, gonna be fun making this build.
I saw this thread in your sig and I'm like "A Kramer enthusiast building a 5150, this should be awesome" then I come into the thread, read the first post, geared to see some guitar buildin' action, then I find out it's only yesterday you started the thread

I'm anticipating seeing more of this, it's looking very promising.
FINALLY someone who will create their own wear patterns in the EVH copy!

It's neat to see a guitar replicated to the exact scratch, but at the same time, I'd much rather see a guitar that's been worn down by someone else's playing rather than sanding to simulate Eddie's playing.

This should be good.
------

Shwiggity.
thanks Punk_Ninja, but remember patience is a virtue (btw check out the Kramer Militia thread, kick ass Lynch finish there)

and deftonesordie I know, I wanna make it my own also so no relic'ing unless its been done but playing the guitar. I hate the factory relics, looks fake to me.
Quote by DSOTM80
thanks Punk_Ninja, but remember patience is a virtue (btw check out the Kramer Militia thread, kick ass Lynch finish there).

Hehe that it is, i'm willing to wait to see this too!
As much as original build are cool, a lot of them are very uninteresting, but already this has had my ears peaked
I'll check out that Kramer Militia thread now.
Haha it's okay, just looked through the Militia thread too
Still had some great kramers on there, your white'n (I want to say the pacer, but I usually get mixed up with guitar models that aren't Fender, Ibanez or Carvin ) looks incredibly nice.
I'll check the Kramer NAMM pics now heh.
Dude, this sounds like it's gonna be wicked sweet.
I'm subscribed.
Can't wait to see how it turns out.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
is that floyd really 20 years old?! it looks no more than like 3 years old! nice deal. this is gona be a SICK one. can tell. you really know ur sh!t.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
if you don't mind me asking hows the service at southeast guitars
do you like the body you got?
good deal?
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
cant wait to see how this sounds!
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by edge11
cant wait to see how this sounds!

yes i cant wait to see how it sounds either
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Quote by The_Kelaninator
yes i cant wait to see how it sounds either

icwutudidthar

EDIT:

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
is that floyd really 20 years old?! it looks no more than like 3 years old! nice deal. this is gona be a SICK one. can tell. you really know ur sh!t.

Yea its an original one, it has been used but barely. It wasn't really dirty but had some dust and such on it. I just used a paper towel and got it that shiny. Here's the box that came with it

Quote by Gibshall
if you don't mind me asking hows the service at southeast guitars
do you like the body you got?
good deal?

Service was good, he's pretty active on the Kramer Forum and a big fan of the guitars of course. He does all the work himself so if he doesn't get back to you right away he's probably busy but yea good guy nonetheless and top notch work.
Quote by DSOTM80
Service was good, he's pretty active on the Kramer Forum and a big fan of the guitars of course. He does all the work himself so if he doesn't get back to you right away he's probably busy but yea good guy nonetheless and top notch work.

Thanks man.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
wow. you have the box it came with! thats amazing for ANYTHING 20 yrs old! how much did you pay for it?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Its not a brand new OFR its been used but is in awesome condition. I paid $160 shipped for the OFR, trem arm, nut and pads and screws, springs and claw etc. Pretty much everything I need except the 2 pivot post screws which I found a guy who's selling them, NOS never used from the 80's so I'll get those soon. Yea I'm trying to get this thing pretty period correct
thats unbelieveable. this is gona be AMAZING!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Updates will be coming shortly, keep your panties on
It's hard to keep panties on when you're ****ting bricks with anticipation !!!
Quote by Jackolas
edgespear, driving great ideas again. Sir, you pwn.

Gear:
Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul, PRS SE Floyd Custom 24 Floyd Amethyst
Amp: Peavey 6505, Eleven Rack
Yup me too, me too. Can't wait. Right now I'm awaiting the Kramer decal and 5150 space tape sticker, SD pickup and Floyd pivot posts all in the mail waiting on them to finally get here. Neck seems to be a done deal and should be done in about 3 weeks. After that its smooth sailing. The neck will have an R2 nut, asymmetrical C shaped with a 10" radius and medium frets. Not gonna give away sources but the guy making the neck knows Ed personally and has held the real 5150
Slight update again, Schaller Mini's arrived today and got 2 MXR knobs courtesy of my Dyna Comp (hardly use it anyways).

sweet

wait...can i have the dyna comp if you dont use it???? although i wouldnt much either...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
sweet

wait...can i have the dyna comp if you dont use it???? although i wouldnt much either...

Ha, no way Actually I'll still use it here and there just gonna buy some new knobs for it.
Small update again, NOS Floyd posts arrived today. I should have some pictures of the body during the painting process sometime during the weekend or right after so for those still waiting be patient
Nothing looks cooler on a guitar than amp or pedal knobs, I swear.
Why can't companies like Gibson just see the light and put Chickenheads on there? D:
Fender have come close with the John Mayer Strat; more like that please.

Awesome build. Can't believe you're making us wait three weeks for the neck D:

You considered throwing something in the middle/neck position for a little extra versatility?
Nope, gonna be just like the original. Oddly enough, my Pacer Special is very versatile. Amazing what the right pickup with a tone and volume knob can do.
^very true. some players really underestimate the power of that one tone knob.

for example, i get a nearly-tele twang on my bridge HUMBUCKER (when clean) with the tone up, but roll it down a few notches, and your in ballsy blues territory.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
^very true. some players really underestimate the power of that one tone knob.

for example, i get a nearly-tele twang on my bridge HUMBUCKER (when clean) with the tone up, but roll it down a few notches, and your in ballsy blues territory.

Exactly, I roll the tone knob down to about 2-3 and can play Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Then set it to 10, kick in the distortion and play some Quiet Riot. Love it, all on 1 pickup