Page 1 of 5
DISCLAIMER: LONG ****ING READ.

First of all, I'm not making another generic "metal is dead" and "waaahh, only old schul is gud" kind of thread. This isn't about whining or even so much about reflection of "The Golden Days" as much as it is about humble prospects for the future.

This is meant to be a realistic overview of the years to come. I know that the regulars here are very passionate about their music and as such have delved largely in the underground as more and more bands not only start copying each other, but the ones we dearly love start repeating themselves, (arguably) making their classic older material a little more painful to listen to.

Time and time again, I see regulars with similar sentiments. The "I've gotten tired of a lot of metal and am branching out" sort. This is the point where you draw the line and say "I've heard enough" and start getting into other genres. Whether you make a full-throttle return to metal is a different story, as you'll go back to your favourites but still know at heart that you've heard most variations of metal.

It's a given that we can't hear every single band out there, which is why we use a forum like this in the first place. But I find (and I think others will agree) that the deeper and deeper you go into the underground, the more straightforward the music gets. And for me, that defeats the purpose of looking for NEW music. I don't want to hear recycled riffs and generic blasts all over the place.

In short, (and again I feel like people will agree as well), I think people are really, really ****ing close-minded. And I'm not going about this with the Trey Azagthoth philosophy where I make out to blame anyone. I think this is almost unspoken truth. Let's face it - most of us (society, not some of you regulars damnit) are not open to new music. We close ourselves off and are perfectly happy doing it.

So, using this as a vantage point or a lens to look at the metal scene in particular, we see the stagnation. We see the myriad of opening acts that use the same variety of blast (and the ones that think by making blasts a little more syncopated, they're being a little innovative) as an example. We're almost oblivious to the fact that the bass in metal is largely unexplored. There are so many things wrong with a lot of these opening acts.

Mostly, what's wrong isn't the passion. Metal fans and musicians have always been fanatic to the point where metal is their lifestyle.
But, what about originality in general?
What about making dynamic music? Extreme metal is extreme metal, but triple forte isn't the only dynamic.
Secondly, guitar, bass, drums and growls is not the only arrangement. Many bands can't seem to get beyond this.
Thirdly, people are posers. There's no two ways of getting around this. When extreme metal is supposed to be largely about not conforming to societal norms, it's a shame that bands are afraid that their colleagues and death metal scene will think they're not brutal enough if they manage to use an acoustic guitar or some clean vocals somewhere.
Fourth, originality aside, what about maturity? What about progression? What happened to learning from the past and taking what's good and using it and then adding something new to the formula (let's assume that no band has the perfect formula, no matter how many people herald even their debut as a classic).

Simply put, there is no need for most of these bands to exist. I'm not bitching about this and I'm not being a crybaby. I'm just going to put something on the table now - a sort of conclusion/vision of the future.

I feel that as the amount of different types of metal fusion (be it any of the various genres mixed with metal) draw to a close, we're going to continue to see more bands relying solely on their passion for the genre. In other words, bands who just love metal and feel the need to play it, making their own tunes and have their own 5 minutes of fame on stage. However, a large percentage of these bands are relying more and more on technique. With the lack of direction, originality and dynamics in metal right now, it's hard to say what's going to happen in the next 5-10 years, but I think it's rather safe to say that we won't really see anything new.

Now I know you might be thinking "Contraband, now hold the feck up...you're starting to sound like those old school purists with yer damn long winded essays". But listen about where I am coming from. First off, as I discussed the main point:

I see new bands live all the time opening up for established acts and I see new bands that some of the regulars claim as awesome. But let's face it - those bands aren't doing anything radically new. In fact, what they're doing has been (arguably) done over 10 years ago. What I mean is that it seems like a lot of these bands are forming with the whole philosophy of "Yea, *so and so tech band* is classic, but we can polish it".

I would venture to say that that sort if innovation isn't useful innovation. Innovation is when you take something and put it into a new context to make it useful or new and interesting.

At this point, you might be tired of reading, and I appologize, but bear with me. Here's a look at some of 2008's albums:

Ayreon - 01011001
BFMV - Scream Aim Fire (not allowed in this forum and they're ****, but bear with me)
Trivium - Shogun (same story)
Hate Eternal - Fury and Flames
Krallice - s/t
Meshuggah - obZen
Cynic - Traced in Air
Decrepit Birth - Diminished between Worlds
Origin - Antithesis
Mirrorthrone - Gangrene
Arsis - We are the Nightmare
Opeth - Watershed
Amon Amarth, Gojira, Exodus, and countless others.

Yes, my view is biased in that it's limited to what I've heard from this year. And yes, maybe...just maybe there is something that I haven't heard that's really groundbreaking and immensely moving, powerful and innovative. But, while that may be an exception, the general trend based on those albums is "If it ain't broke don't fix it", with some minor exceptions. Yes, Traced in Air is different than Focus, but once you think about it, it's essentially the ornamental features that have been tampered with. Cynic is still Cynic.

With this being said (again, sorry for the length), I don't know what metal has left to do. Perhaps like social scientists theorize that in the near distant future, all of us will be one pale light brown color and interracial relations will be universally accepted, metal will also turn one pale shade of "Hey guys, let's put a little bit of everything", and that's with some mild experimentation ala Unexpect.

With that in mind, historically it only takes one band to sprawl forth its minions. It only takes one band to create the blueprints.

But my real question is, is that band (or bands) coming anytime soon? The life-death cycle is bound to surely repeat itself (Once something dies, somebody will take the remaining ashes and create a magical stew from it).

Or alternatively, do you think the releases I mentioned for '08 aren't very representative of the current lack of direction in metal and that there are plenty of truly innovative bands. If so, then I'm curious what bands people think are actually moving this genre forward.

As much as I love metal, is there really any question that the innovation cycle may take a while to repeat? I mean something like a new subgenre (or alternatively a new genre that borrows from metal much like Black Sabbath borrowed from rock and blues).

Again, I apologize for the length. Sometimes I really blow at making concise to the point posts.
I've found Jesus
Maybe metal doesn't need to innovate. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Exactly, Bolt Thrower and Cannibal Corpse are two great examples of this.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Music doesn't evolve in leaps or bounds, don't expect it to. Just because you don't have patience doesn't mean the genre is stagnant.

/thread
It will probably continue to evolve. For example, take a look at the Monolith Deathcult - Trivmvirate. They borrowed heavily from the Drum n' Bass genre, and the result was one of the best albums of 2008. I believe that there are still unexplored fields in metal. I for one would like to see a standard death metal act backed by a huge orchestra, like Metallicas S&M, but with Cannibal Corpse or something like that.
The day Metal came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day Blues came into Resistance, people cried stagnation.
The day the Romantic Period came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day the Baroque period came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day aboriginals played polyrhythms, people and koalas cried stagnation.
The day Cave Man A's rock went out of tune, people cried stagnation.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
You make a lot of good points, and your insight is appreciated as a lot of people on this site are close-minded or have a more pop-culture definition of what it means to be metal...but there are exceptions to every rule...

Reading this essay...er...post...I understand your position to be that metal has nowhere left to run, and the endless stream of bands rushing to make it in the genre are going to be recycling everything that's already been done. (right?) I agree with you for most bands, because there are quite a few that see a niche in the metal genre and fit themselves right in with generic songs and most of the time, little or no talent. This is when the metal as we know it dies...which is bound to happen.

I do, however, think that there are still a fair number of bands that are in it specifically for the music, and that: don't encourage their fans to become over zealous and hardcore -- essentially creating purists -- and don't necessarily want all of the fame that comes with being a "good" band these days (though our standards as a society have dropped below acceptable -- the Jonas Bros and rap are the predominant choices for people -- what happened there?!?!?)

Take Opeth for example. Granted they have a style that is distinctly Opeth, for when you hear them, you can tell who it is. But they have evolved so much over the course of their 8 studio albums, venturing into many different aspects of metal. Again, granted that's what we can expect in the future, I'd still like to hear what people like Akerfeldt have to say to the population through their music...

Hopefully, Metal won't putter out and be left with repetition as we expect, but I think this sort of change will ultimately help to shape what we will consider to be metal in the future. For their have been a lot of bands that have been metal for their time, but were pigeonholed into rock over time, being replaced with bands that better fit the definition of metal at the time. Again, we can see the post metal crowd from Sweden (ISIS...etc...) further advancing what metal can be through the incorporation of elements that we don't consider metal, not just relying on the fusion of jazz or blues and incorporating those styles into their music....so I think there's more to come from this genre, be it good or bad...

Great to see that there's more to UG than little preteens wondering why no one thinks Slipknot is the best band ever....

Hats off to you sir.

-TFA
I agree with a lot of the stuff that you say, especially near the beginning, but in the end it still seems like one of those "metal is dead and theres nothing good out there any more". Why?
Quote by VampireGoldfish
The day Metal came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day Blues came into Resistance, people cried stagnation.
The day the Romantic Period came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day the Baroque period came into existence, people cried stagnation.
The day aboriginals played polyrhythms, people and koalas cried stagnation.
The day Cave Man A's rock went out of tune, people cried stagnation.

VERY TRUE!
im sure metal fans during the nineties had the same discussion, **** comes out, dont say its over till its truly over, i know this is suicide in a metal thread but i liked nu-metal, the original nu-metal bands were good and something will probably come along, oh and YES unexpect is pretty cool

Oh and to Guitarmike123's comment, can you honestly see an orchestra playing frantic disembowelment? i dont see it, but wtheck
why mess with perfection?

no but seriously...you can't really expect metal to drastically change in a second. It takes lots of time...and it usually happens without people really noticing it for a while.
More innovation is always good. Hopefully all the kids playing metal now will come up with something excellent 10 or 20 years from now.
I like some types of metal that some of the "true" metal listeners like. for example, I DONT CARE what some people have to say, I love bands like August Burns Red, Avenged Sevenfold (not so much the self titled album but whatever), The Human Abstract. Bands like these I love. Its different from the typical black metal bands and everything. when bands like these come out, it seems like all the "true" metal listeners rip on if for being different or not hard enough or some other bull****. the point im trying to make is that its different from the "true" metal bands and that right there is innovative in itself. People have different opinions of music and life. just because its different doesnt mean its bad. your ripping on newer different bands and then bitch about how theres not innovation out there. to me, that doesnt make too much sense.
Quote by Contraband

In short, (and again I feel like people will agree as well), I think people are really, really ****ing close-minded. And I'm not going about this with the Trey Azagthoth philosophy where I make out to blame anyone. I think this is almost unspoken truth. Let's face it - most of us (society, not some of you regulars damnit) are not open to new music. We close ourselves off and are perfectly happy doing it.

kthxbai
Aesthetic "innovation" won't save metal if the "innovators" have nothing worthwhile to say.
Quote by spikeman27

Oh and to Guitarmike123's comment, can you honestly see an orchestra playing frantic disembowelment? i dont see it, but wtheck

Maybe Cannibal Corpse was a bad choice, though there are dm bands who could pull it off, like Dismember or similar. It would probably be a better match.
I agree with you man, - as a general rule. I think though, as more and more people are playing metal, it's going to be increasingly harder to avoid. The number of bands that do something genuinely groundbreaking, that's interesting and has substance and soul behind it while at the same time exploring new musical terrain has always been and will remain relatively small. Also you will notice that the musicians and bands that pursue new ideas have wider tastes, sometimes really obscure inspirations, and sometimes just really unexpected ones.

My thought on the whole music thing, is that when someone writes something original, it is because they are looking to create a mood, or explain their thoughts through music - rather than just *we want to make blasphemous metal, or technical metal or whatever*. Burzum when it started out had a particular sound in mind, a *dreamy* sort of soundscape that wasn't as much influenced by other existing music, but by what Varg wanted to translate to the listener. When Warning plays a song, it's because they share a part of themselves, rather than just play *true doom*.

So what I think the key and often missing ingredient is - personality and honest writing.

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
DISCLAIMER: I'M DRUNK AND GONNA HAVE TROUBLE WITH THIS POST IM ABOUT TO MAKE

You're right, the deeper we go into the underground the more straightforward the music gets. For me it's just makes me appreciate more the metal that's good. Like Dead Congregation

But, you talk about most metal bands aping each other. Which is true. There are plenty of bands worth hearing though. And it always was the case that 95% of metal bands were aping other metal bands, right back thru the 80s. It's just that 20 years on, you only hear of the bands that stood out and made good, original albums. Rather than the bands that all copy-catted Bonded by Blood or Reign in Blood

Anyway, I think you expect too much from metal. There are bands being innovative, breaking new ground. THey are few but it's a bit silly to expect more than a few to do that

SORRY FOR DRUNKEN NONSENSE
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
Quote by Guitarmike123
Maybe Cannibal Corpse was a bad choice, though there are dm bands who could pull it off, like Dismember or similar. It would probably be a better match.

One word, mang: Septicflesh.

I agree with Contraband (although it really is hard to take him seriously with that avatar ) for the most part, HOWEVER: I'm a firm believer in listening to what I think sounds good. That might be one of the reasons why I'm a huge melodic death fan. Then again, one of the reasons I LOVE Michael Amott is because he plays through a formula, where he uses Riffs X + Solos Y = Song (?). He never changes the style of his riffs, or his solos, but somewhere along the line, he'll throw in catalyst Z, or he'll add a figure to the formula, and somehow I never get bored of listening to Carcass or Arch Enemy. Listen to Buried Dreams and then listen to Leader of the Rats. They sound like they were written by the same person, yet there are different qualities about both songs.

I'm not saying we've got to totally revolutionize a genre that's barely outgrown its infancy, that would be ridiculous, because indeed, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But we can add to it, we can continue making music that sounds good to us, to others, while still being original. Go and read Monolith Deathcult's MySpace. Their riffs are SIMPLE. They say it themselves. They don't bombard you with technicality, they make music that is pleasurable to listen to. Listen to Septicflesh, their riffs are SO basic, but they combine it with an orchestra and it sounds amazing. Look at Opeth. They're riff over riff over riff - acoustic break - then even more riffs, outros, clean vocals. They throw EVERYTHING at you, and they manage to make it sound AMAZING - the exact opposite of Monolith Deathcult, yet both are able to sound great.

Go watch Quorthon's interview with MTV right after Hammerheart came out, he says exactly this "You can choose to do what the fans like and sell a few records and make yourself some money, or you could progress musically and satisfy yourself." Look at Devin Townsend, look at Chuck Schuldiner, look at Immortal and Cynic. Look at Cannibal Corpse and Necrophagist. All of these people that I mentioned have been innovators, perfectionists in their own right. They're doing something right, because a lot of people listen to them. Despite their progression, or lack thereof, people still want to listen to what these bands are putting out. It's a formula that WORKS. If you make good Metal, it's acknowledged. It's praised by your fans.

A good example is Samael. Ceremony of Opposites is one of the most intense 2nd wave albums I've ever heard, and the industrial influence on that album made them progress out of Black Metal and into full on Industrial, and Vorph himself has claimed to be satisfied with the direction they took, even though they've been urged to go back to making BM. People are still listening to them, they're still touring successfully. They must have done SOMETHING right.

In a nutshell, innovation is what you make it to be. You can choose to use an orchestra, you can choose not to. You can choose to out-riff any other band out there. You can choose to devour the corpses of your foes and spit acid. As long as you're making good sounding Metal, staying true to yourself musically and true to your fans, that's enough trueness for me.

Man, that was pretty incoherent.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Cynic, Opeth, Agalloch? etc. etc. I'm not sure how different you want the same bands releases to sound like but 'Evolutionary Sleeper' and 'Integral Birth' sure as hell sound a bit different to 'Veil of Maya' for me.

I'm not sure how much innovation you want but those bands have recently released albums where my instant reaction was 'holy **** this is new'. How about Nile? The Egyptian theme is pretty cool and hasn't really be done to such an extent (to my knowledge). What about really technical death like Necrophagist, Psycroptic, Decrepit Birth, Brain Drill etc? I can't think of anything that really sounds like Brain Drill.

Different themes being explored lyrically too like 'eco-metal' (Gojira).

Going back just a little while there was the whole symphonic metal explosion. And folk metal in it's cheesy pirate/elf/troll/goblin folk band ensemble form a la Finntroll and Turisas seems to be pretty new'ish.

I dunno... I feel over the last 5 years or so there has been plenty of innovation...
“Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not be separated from the man”- Andres Segovia.
^Also, to expand on that. There's that whole pussified Doom sub-sub-genre about losing your loved one to a storm of tragedy and tears of despair or whatever. I don't know how that whole scene is where you guys live, but in Lebanon it's got the biggest fan base, it attracts many, many females who are into those sappy lyrics.

INNOVATION IS THE KEY WORD HERE, PEOPLE.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
^Also, to expand on that. There's that whole pussified Doom sub-sub-genre about losing your loved one to a storm of tragedy and tears of despair or whatever. I don't know how that whole scene is where you guys live, but in Lebanon it's got the biggest fan base, it attracts many, many females who are into those sappy lyrics.

INNOVATION IS THE KEY WORD HERE, PEOPLE.

Whaaat??
You been drinking too man?
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

Innovation is everywhere, it's just usually not very good, and doesn't get much publicity. Experimentation won't hurt. Go big, hell, even lose big if you have to.

This is why Im in a funeral doom/thrash metal band.

Fine, it's funeral doom/black. but my next band will be funeral doom/power metal, dont you worry.

Maybe even mixing metal with baroque period (Bach, Mozart, Handel) might be good. Who knows?
Nah just running on no sleep
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
Quote by The Kreator
Innovation is everywhere, it's just usually not very good, and doesn't get much publicity. Experimentation won't hurt. Go big, hell, even lose big if you have to.

This is why Im in a funeral doom/thrash metal band.

Fine, it's funeral doom/black. but my next band will be funeral doom/power metal, dont you worry.

Maybe even mixing metal with baroque period (Bach, Mozart, Handel) might be good. Who knows?

fuckin... link?

I get what you're saying and I've said the same thing myself. Too many bands play as if following a formula. For every one band that's not a cookie cutter there are ten with no distinctive style or personality.
Those that were the innovators get comfortable in their niches and decide since they broke new ground 10 years that they don't have to do anything new anymore. In fact, I've only ever heard one band that completely changed the formula every single time they put out a cd and that band went on indefinite hiatus a few years ago.
However, where you view this as hitting a wall, I see opportunity. When people hit that wall is when they go exploring other areas of music. THIS is where the innovative music comes from. If you're constantly watching the people who yell "Look at how original I am!" you miss the people whose metal collection is gathering dust while they're busy listening to world music and god knows what and fusing it with the sounds they already know and love.
Quote by The Kreator
for what?

What do you think? I wanna hear your funeral doom/power/thrash band!

But surely it was the same 20 years ago? 99% of metal bands were rubbish and have now faded into obscurity, it's just the few innovators that last.
“Among God's creatures two, the dog and the guitar, have taken all the sizes and all the shapes, in order not be separated from the man”- Andres Segovia.
Quote by Veil of Maya
But surely it was the same 20 years ago? 99% of metal bands were rubbish and have now faded into obscurity, it's just the few innovators that last.

I doubt it. 20 years ago, metal wasn't "cool." Sure, real metal and real metal fans are far from what would be considered "trendy," but in this day and age dumbass kids throw the word "metal" around like it's a badge and for some ungodly reason they think that listening to music that's loud (and usually obnoxious in their case) is self-validating and that it makes them cool. These are the people that are closed-minded towards other genres and end up shitting cookie-cutter bands like rabbits shit babies.
Last time i posted a wall of text, some tard was like " ololo Im nOt ReADinG THAAT!!1"
and the mods closed it minutes later *grumble grumble*

But anyways, sure, theres gonna be stagnation in any genre, as up-and-comers play follow the leader with the head honcho. Then someone'll break off, be declared awesome, and they'll be the new pied piper. In Disco, for example, this system was totally fail. For metal, it happens to be working fine, and i, for one, am happy with where metal is at today.
Quote by madbasslover
I doubt it. 20 years ago, metal wasn't "cool." Sure, real metal and real metal fans are far from what would be considered "trendy," but in this day and age dumbass kids throw the word "metal" around like it's a badge and for some ungodly reason they think that listening to music that's loud (and usually obnoxious in their case) is self-validating and that it makes them cool. These are the people that are closed-minded towards other genres and end up shitting cookie-cutter bands like rabbits shit babies.

WHAT! 20 years ago was the absolute peak of metal's populairty...

Though I agree with everything you say after that

Quote by MHDrunk
What do you think? I wanna hear your funeral doom/power/thrash band!

My real band is Death-Doom War Metal
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MHDrunk
WHAT! 20 years ago was the absolute peak of metal's populairty...

I guess in a sense it was. To be honest, I kinda forgot that 20 years ago it was 1989.

Regardless, I've always seen metal's peak as being in the early to mid 90's. That's when a lot of the innovation that made it what it is today took place.
Innovation and popularity have nothing to do with each other.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Guitarmike123
I for one would like to see a standard death metal act backed by a huge orchestra, like Metallicas S&M, but with Cannibal Corpse or something like that.

But that whole idea was bollocks.

"Hey guys, you know what would be awesome? If we played all of our songs the same exact way, but got an orchestra to play chords over them!"

I would like to see more bands using orchestras as an integral part of music *cough*likewhatpainofsalvationdid*cough* instead of just an accessory. My top three genres are Classical, Progressive Metal, and Power Metal, so I do plan on writing things in that vein once I have a functioning band.

I have already written a few concepts, and have a lot of songs mapped out. I would like to make my own band different from others, because my tastes point to metal, but I also love very soft piano/string section numbers.

So something like Sigur Ros meets Pain of Salvation and Rhapsody
life is beautifuuuuooooaaaaaal
Quote by Magero
MetalMessiah. You and I are of one mind. Finally.
Everyone else should conform to this opinion. Now.
"One of us, one of us..."

*Joins chanting*
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by madbasslover
I guess in a sense it was. To be honest, I kinda forgot that 20 years ago it was 1989.

Regardless, I've always seen metal's peak as being in the early to mid 90's. That's when a lot of the innovation that made it what it is today took place.

Man, it was the 90s when grunge took the media spotlight away from thrash metal,,, and that's why Pantera 'saved metal'. Though as far as metal being innovative, I definitely agree with you. 87-94 was metal's peak in that regard

Page 1 of 5