I'm going to make a frankenstrat. Since it's my first project I don't really want to throw money in for high-end stuffs like OFR. Is there any LFR that can hold tune out there?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Schaller's is by far the best non-OFR FR.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
+1 to Schaller.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Gotoh LFR or Schaller LFR. Thing is, the Gotoh FR is FAR cheaper.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MrFlibble
Schaller's is by far the best non-OFR FR.

+1
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by oneblackened
Gotoh LFR or Schaller LFR. Thing is, the Gotoh FR is FAR cheaper.

And much better
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by hminh87
I'm going to make a frankenstrat. Since it's my first project I don't really want to throw money in for high-end stuffs like OFR. Is there any LFR that can hold tune out there?

first of all, the only way to get a OFR is to get one from Mr. Floyd Rose himself. EVERY FR that is mass produced is(yes, including Gotoh and Schaller OFR's) an LFR. if you look carefully they all have "licensed under floyd rose patents" written in fine print somewhere on the trem system. OFR usually refers to Original design.

anyways, anything you find above the $150USD mark should be made of high quality. try searching ebay or your local guitar shop for a Gotoh, Schaller, or Ibanez Edge.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
You're making a Frankenstrat as in a parts guitar or an EVH frankenstrat copy?

If its a parts guitar then go for a Gotoh Floyd:
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=20392&product=20409

If you want a great OFR but not the price tag go for either a Floyd Rose Special (OFR, not licensed but made in Asia):
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/cart.cgi?group=620&child=20855

or the Schaller German made LFR which is great can't go wrong:
http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-Chrome-P578.aspx

Quote by SomebodySomeone
first of all, the only way to get a OFR is to get one from Mr. Floyd Rose himself. EVERY FR that is mass produced is(yes, including Gotoh and Schaller OFR's) an LFR. if you look carefully they all have "licensed under floyd rose patents" written in fine print somewhere on the trem system. OFR usually refers to Original design.

anyways, anything you find above the $150USD mark should be made of high quality. try searching ebay or your local guitar shop for a Gotoh, Schaller, or Ibanez Edge.

Floyd Rose doesn't manufacture anything. Schaller makes the OFR in Germany, then they have their own version the Schaller Floyd which is licensed but still kick ass. After that I agree the next best option, or rather in some cases better option is the Gotoh Floyd which I posted above.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by DSOTM80
You're making a Frankenstrat as in a parts guitar or an EVH frankenstrat copy?

If its a parts guitar then go for a Gotoh Floyd:
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=20392&product=20409

If you want a great OFR but not the price tag go for either a Floyd Rose Special (OFR, not licensed but made in Asia):
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/cart.cgi?group=620&child=20855

or the Schaller German made LFR which is great can't go wrong:
http://www.warmoth.com/Schaller-Floyd-Rose-Tremolo-Chrome-P578.aspx

Floyd Rose doesn't manufacture anything
. Schaller makes the OFR in Germany, then they have their own version the Schaller Floyd which is licensed but still kick ass. After that I agree the next best option, or rather in some cases better option is the Gotoh Floyd which I posted above.

that's exactly my point.
when people think LFR they automatically think crappy trem. that is not the case. since Mr. FR didn't manufacture the OFR under his own company or brand, everything that comes from schaller/gotoh/ect. is licensed because just like the fine print says, he holds the patent.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
He holds the patent but the OFR is not a licensed version and does not have the "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" stamped on it because its exactly his design not a copy which Schaller makes. Even the Floyd Rose Special which is made in Asia doesn't have that stamp
Quote by DSOTM80
He holds the patent but the OFR is not a licensed version and does not have the "Licensed Under Floyd Rose Patents" stamped on it because its exactly his design not a copy which Schaller makes. Even the Floyd Rose Special which is made in Asia doesn't have that stamp

really? i could've sworn i saw the licensed under FR stamp on a OFR.
hmmmm.... i guess i stand corrected i'm gonna double check next time i'm in the shop.

anyways, you should try ebay. i'm sure you could score a Gotoh or Schaller FR for under $200.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
If you can't spend the cash for an OFR you probably shouldn't attempt to make a Frankenstrat.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Good point, kid.

Didn't EVH use an OFR on his Franken'?

Not initially no, Van Halen 1 was recorded with his Ibanez Destroyer and his black and white Frankenstrat which has a vintage Strat trem installed on it. Floyd didn't come until a few years later.
Quote by cohen5250
If you can't spend the cash for an OFR you probably shouldn't attempt to make a Frankenstrat.

I was try to cheap out as much as possible as it's my first project.
My original plan was to use a Wilkinson two posts tremolo to spare the trouble of having double locking. But it going to look a bit funny on a frankenstrat body :p

FR Special looks interesting. I see they're having zinc saddles and sustain Block compares to steel on a OFR. I've heard good thing or two about zinc but are they on the same level as steel?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

No, you'd want steel or even better those big brass blocks, not zinc.
some high end jacksons, same goes for ibenez, but id say schaler
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
but for $70 you cant beat it. latter on you can chage to a brass block, and maybe even real OFR replacement sadles. then itd be IDENTICAL to an OFR. its already got a hardened steel baseplate so its you best bet for under $100.

and those retards telling him to get a Schaller need to read his first post better. he said he wanted something CHEAPER not lesser. the Schaller costs just as much (and even more in some places!) than an OFR. on warmoth for example, the schaller is only $5 less than an OFR. that is not really cheaper. gotohs are pretty good but still not all that cheap. the FR special is a good deal and i feel that they will be the next big low price trem.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by SomebodySomeone

actually they don't, the patent ran out a few years ago. my gotohs say "high stability tremolo system" (or something like that). and as DSOTM80 says, the best OFRs are made by schaller in germany. Mr Floyd Rose himself probably isn't within 3000 miles of them, most of the time.

+1 on the schaller or gotoh. the gotoh is likely to be the cheapest, and to me it's the nicest too, from my limited experience with them.

Quote by f22master

and those retards telling him to get a Schaller need to read his first post better. he said he wanted something CHEAPER not lesser. the Schaller costs just as much (and even more in some places!) than an OFR. on warmoth for example, the schaller is only $5 less than an OFR. that is not really cheaper. gotohs are pretty good but still not all that cheap. the FR special is a good deal and i feel that they will be the next big low price trem.

don't be so quick to call others retards. granted the schaller is pretty expensive wherever you are, but the threadstarter is in europe, not the USA, so that changes things quite a bit. The gotoh is quite a bit cheaper than an OFR here in europe, for example. Not "cheaping out" cheaper, but certainly a worthwhile saving (it's around 2/3 the price). Cheaping out much more runs the risk of being a false economy.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 6, 2009,
yes but the gotohs are still quite costly for a little EVH project. specially his first one. they are really nice but i think the special will meet he needs just fine. and like i said before, for $70, you cant beat it!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
can you get it for $70 in europe, though? I could be wrong, but I'd doubt it. There's a good chance that the price will be a lot closer in Europe, as the Gotoh tends to be cheaper than the USA, while there's a good chance the FR special will be more expensive. I could be wrong, of course, and it's possible that the price difference will still be quite a bit- it'd need to be looked into more closely.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
actually they don't, the patent ran out a few years ago. my gotohs say "high stability tremolo system" (or something like that). and as DSOTM80 says, the best OFRs are made by schaller in germany. Mr Floyd Rose himself probably isn't within 3000 miles of them, most of the time.

+1 on the schaller or gotoh. the gotoh is likely to be the cheapest, and to me it's the nicest too, from my limited experience with them.

i guess my info is a bit outdated then
if i remember correctly even the schaller ones had the patent thingy stamped on it aside from the made in germany. oh well, i guess it's time to hit the books again.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
shipping will be a bit more but the product itself wont. itl be $70 (not sure what that is in pounds) + shipping. no more than $90usd.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
If the Gotoh's and Schallers are too much for you, try looking for guitar brands that make LFR's on Ebay. People are always switching out LFR's for better ones. The best LFR I have ever played was made by Peavy so try looking for one of these.

Companies that make good LFR's that you can find for under $50 on Ebay: Peavy, Dean (Made by Grover), Jackson, Ping (Hit and miss on quality), Washburn, etc
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by DSOTM80
Not initially no, Van Halen 1 was recorded with his Ibanez Destroyer and his black and white Frankenstrat which has a vintage Strat trem installed on it. Floyd didn't come until a few years later.

How did he do the crazy divebombs?
Still did them, on a Strat bridge. Insane I know and it stayed in tune. There were several little tricks that he did to keep it in tune. He talks about it in the Frankenstrat video release in his studio and other places online, just google for it. From the first album...
Quote by SomebodySomeone
i guess my info is a bit outdated then
if i remember correctly even the schaller ones had the patent thingy stamped on it aside from the made in germany. oh well, i guess it's time to hit the books again.

Quote by f22master
shipping will be a bit more but the product itself wont. itl be $70 (not sure what that is in pounds) + shipping. no more than $90usd.

good luck with that. you're forgetting about VAT and customs, which will add around 20-25% to the total cost of the item + shipping. Might even add more as VAT/sales tax in Sweden is even higher than the UK, i believe- it could add 30% to the price there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh. didnt know that. so $110-120? still not bad for a hardended stell baseplate...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Tango616
some high end jacksons, same goes for ibenez, but id say schaler

He says he wants cheap schaller is like a $300 unit.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by f22master
oh. didnt know that. so $110-120? still not bad for a hardended stell baseplate...

yeah, but with the current exchange rate (i'm not 100% sure on how sweden's krona is doing, but i think it's getting hammered like the pound is), that's likely to be not all that much cheaper than you can get the gotoh for.

Going by the pound, for example, about 6 months ago $120 was £60- much cheaper than the gotoh is here (the gotoh is around the £110-£120 mark here). but with the current exchange rate, that $120 is more like £90, if not £95...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, but with the current exchange rate (i'm not 100% sure on how sweden's krona is doing, but i think it's getting hammered like the pound is), that's likely to be not all that much cheaper than you can get the gotoh for.

Going by the pound, for example, about 6 months ago $120 was £60- much cheaper than the gotoh is here (the gotoh is around the £110-£120 mark here). but with the current exchange rate, that $120 is more like £90, if not £95...

ahh. well i did not know that. o well. its still a good LFR.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schaller, Kahler, and Gotoh make some good ones.

Ibanez does too, but they also have bad ones. If you go Ibanez, get an Edge, Edge Pro, ZR, or Lo-Pro Edge.