Hi, I'm relatively new to Musical Theory. I can read sheet music up until the 3rd fret on a guitar. In order to progress I need to know how to read music for frets higher. How would I read sheet music for say...frets after 12. Thank You.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah Pedal
Boss SD-1
At the 12th fret it starts over at what ever that string is tuned to. The 12th fret and below are the same notes, just an octave higher if I'm not mistaken.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Yeah, once you get to the 12th fret, the notes start all over again. Just remember, there are only a total of twelve notes on the fretboard, and you can play all these notes on every string, then when you are on the 12th fret, you're back to the note you started on, just an octave higher. Like the Quinlan said.
Last edited by tele432 at Feb 5, 2009,
Ok, but how do I know when to play those notes above twelve if I'm reading sheet music, is there some sort of sign or something? And what about notes after the third fret, but before the twelfth. Thank You.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
Ok, but how do I know when to play those notes above twelve if I'm reading sheet music, is there some sort of sign or something? And what about notes after the third fret, but before the twelfth. Thank You.

I don't understand what you're having trouble with. Learn the notes on the fretboard, and learn what positions on the staff they correspond to. Just like every other instrument.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Ok, let me try to explain, say you're looking at the staff, you see all the notes A-G. Well how do you know which A to play. There are multiple A's on the fretboard.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Quote by Zappanator
Ok, let me try to explain, say you're looking at the staff, you see all the notes A-G. Well how do you know which A to play. There are multiple A's on the fretboard.

Define "which A". A4 compared to A5, or A on the fifth fret of the E string compared to an open A string?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Well let's just say the open A string and the A on the Fifth fret of the E string. How could I tell which one I needed to play if I was reading sheet music
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
In that case it'd be the same.
I know what he's trying to say. Something along the lines of: how do i know what position to play in?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
Quote by Zappanator
Well let's just say the open A string and the A on the Fifth fret of the E string. How could I tell which one I needed to play if I was reading sheet music

They're both same. Play whichever one is most convenient.
Quote by Zappanator

You try playing the song different ways until you find the most easily played method.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
This is a good question, it shows that you're thinking about what you're doing.

Some written music will have the fingering and the positions notated. Usually though you won't find this and you'll need to figure out your own fingerings. You'll select which position, and therefore string, to play a note on based on the notes immediately before and after that one. When I'm doing it I stick to a one basic rule and that's to select notes so that you minimise the position shifts as much as possible.

You're usually better off with one large shift, even four or five semitones, than lots of small ones. A good exercise is to play G major say on the third G string, the first three notes are in the open position, the next three in the fifth and the next two in the tenth. Then figure out your own way of getting back down.

It also helps if you're familiar with your fretboard and if you know all of your major scale patterns.
Last edited by Patrick Curley at Feb 5, 2009,
Thanks guys I understand now
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Yamaha FG730S
Peavey Predator
1961 Acoustic Kay
Classical Rhapsody
Boss SD-1
Roman numerals give you the position .

so take the notes in the spaces of the stave
that's "F" "A" "C" and "E" right ?

ok now in open position we can play these notes on D:3 G:2 B:1 e:0 .

But if we Take the same notes on the stave but place an XII above them this tells us to place our index finger on the 12th fret ,our middle finger on the 13th fret and so on ,
The same picthes "F" "A" "C" "E" are found E:13 A:12 A:15 and D:12