Whenever I turn on my overdrive pedal and distortion pedal at the same time, a ton of feedback comes through... As in I must play in order to not have a bunch of squealing noises puncture my eardrums. Would a noise gate get rid of the squealing? And if so, which one is a nice one to get?
do you like the feedback? if not than yes you need one. and as far as which one to get i would just say not to cheap out on one and whatever you get should be good. ISP rocktron and boss all have nice units worth checking out.
all a noise gate does is stop sound coming through thats under a certain volume. if the squeeks are way loud a noise gate might not do it, unless your actuall playing is much louder. other wise i would just time when you use ur pedal so theres no gap in playing when it;s on
Could simply be your settings. Feeding an OD into a distortion can create noise or feedback. Especially if you have the gains cranked on both of em. Are you running the pedals into the clean or gain channel on your amp?
When you line multiple ODs and distortions infront of a ****ty amp to attempt to get an OK tone, you get a LOT of feedback.

Just save up for a nicer amp.

Just boost a nice quality high gain amp (Dual/Trip Rect, 6505+, etc)

The high-end super gain amps tend to have better natural control with high distortion and squeal less by nature. I mean, it's what they are made for.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
you don't need a noise gate, you need to use less gain. I bet it's sounds like **** too...

LOL at people linking distortion boxes and wondering why they're getting feedback...
Its funny how a decimator is the solution to EVERY problem. Or EMGs are the answer to every pickup question. Makes you wonder how music was ever made with stock pickups before noise gates were available.
Quote by Tackleberry
Its funny how a decimator is the solution to EVERY problem. Or EMGs are the answer to every pickup question. Makes you wonder how music was ever made with stock pickups before noise gates were available.

Bareknuckle is quickly gaining a footing in the "pickup everyone recommends" world.
Quote by Tackleberry

No its not, really. Not everyone can afford the quietest gear, or have prefect technique.

I'd say on professional recordings and live performances with the best gear and most perfect technique, more often than not, there's some type of noise gate/reduction technology being used.
Quote by 667
No its not, really. Not everyone can afford the quietest gear, or have prefect technique.

I'd say on professional recordings and live performances with the best gear and most perfect technique, more often than not, there's some type of noise gate/reduction technology being used.

I don't care how "quiet" you think your gear is, if you're simultaneously run two distortion pedals, it's going to be noisy, muddy and will most likely sound like ****. No matter what kind of amp you're using.
Quote by al112987
I don't care how "quiet" you think your gear is, if you're simultaneously run two distortion pedals, it's going to be noisy, muddy and will most likely sound like ****. No matter what kind of amp you're using.

I doubt he's running both distortions at the same time, and if he is, well frankly it's his prerogative. Even if he is, so what? Who's to say that's wrong? It's HIS tone $hitty or not. If a gate going help with unwanted noise then it's beneficial... and probably will be for whatever gear he gets in the future.

I take it you don't play anything heavy, or you don't use alot of gain.

Edit: I just re-read the OP. I didn't realize he IS running both at the same time.... so ya... it definitely will help.
Last edited by 667 at Feb 6, 2009,
Its not about the quietest gear or technique. I dont use anything special like power conditioners, isolated power for pedals, or expensive amps(my amps are a modded Vjr and a 15 yo SS). I can play high gain stuff without noise issues and have never owned a noise gate or suppressor. A noise gate will not fix bad technique and it wont fix running a distortion into a distortion pedal. A noise gate does not solve or fix every problem, many times it just covers up a simple solution. Yet there is always the band wagon that will roll buy and post buy an expensive pedal before looking for obvious solutions. The TS needs to find a single pedal that serves his high needs versus trying to use 2 at once to get the required gain, and you can get a really nice distortion pedal for the price of a an ISP.