A "fully" diminished 7 chord has a bb7 right?
and a half dim chord is a dim triad w/ a m7?

so Cdim7 would be C Eb Gb Bbb?

-thanks
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Yes, that's right. Technically a half diminished 7th chord is a m7b5 chord, but half diminished is a accepted term.
That's right. The easy way to look at it is think a B7 with a C as the tonic. It works for me at least.
Thanks! I was writing out 7th chords and got confused!

and one more thing..

you'd get a fully dim chord from the raised 7th of the harmonic minor scale?

Edit: Another question..
In a minor key is the tonic ever a mM7.. from the H.M. scale..
j/w
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Feb 5, 2009,
Quote by victoryaloy
Thanks! I was writing out 7th chords and got confused!

and one more thing..

you'd get a fully dim chord from the raised 7th of the harmonic minor scale?

Edit: Another question..
In a minor key is the tonic ever a mM7.. from the H.M. scale..
j/w

Yes, the tonic chord for Harmonic Minor is mM7.
Quote by mdc
Yes, the tonic chord for Harmonic Minor is mM7.

but does it function as the tonic? (??wording??)
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by victoryaloy
but does it function as the tonic? (??wording??)

Not really, no. The chord is too dissonant to truly establish a tonal center. It's used for musical effect rather than tonality.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^ +1. The only real use of the harmonic minor (in classical music, anyway) is to create a strong cadence back to the i.
thanks..

thats what i figured. I was just wondering cuz i havent seen it used,
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Quote by victoryaloy
thanks..

thats what i figured. I was just wondering cuz i havent seen it used,

Yep, it's pretty rare. If you look hard enough you'll come across it tho.

I quite like the song "Put Your Records On" by Corrine Bailey Rae, it's used at the very end of that song.....

Dmaj7 - Dmmaj7- A