I'm gonna need to get my new Jackson (pun intended mothafuka) on the plane back home from Canada. I have a really nice hardshell case, very snug, the guitar just barely fits and has no room to move. Would you guys send in on the hold as check-in baggage? Is there a risk even with the hardshell case?

Thanks
as long as it doesnt get pissed off at all the snakes on the plane, and ruin our world with another sh!tty movie, then i guess so.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
must...hold...back.........quote....from....movie....

i would see if you would be allowed the guitar as a carry-on instead of checked baggage. most planes (that i've been one) have had compartments for larger itmes near the front/back of the aisles, you they may store the guitar there.
I had mine shipped. I don't trust the stupid airlines to not throw my guitar around like a basektball.
Nah, you should be fine checking it in. I've done it a bunch. Don't lock it though because if they decide to inspect it they will bust the lock.
AL
Me neither, that's what the armored case is for. Getting it on the plane as carry on is mucho dinero
Keep it out of the check in at all costs. It could get lost, stolen or damaged in some way.
They should probably let you take it on, I see people in the boarding planes with guitars on them all the time.
Has anyone here ever used an electric guitar in a hardshell case as carryon?
... no samuel L jackson?... damm... now this is just pointless

to be helpfull: i brought my guitar from the states to here (vzla) in its hardcase... just put some bubble wrap on the outside of the case and youll be set... dont worry
Last edited by just17n8 at Feb 14, 2009,
From US Airways:

Musical instruments

Musical instruments are considered a fragile item. Fragile items will be accepted as checked baggage if they are appropriately packaged in a container/case designed for shipping such items. Fragile items without appropriate packaging will be accepted upon the execution of a release furnished by US Airways relieving US Airways of liability for loss/damage of checked baggage.

Musical instruments are permitted as carry-on baggage as long as they can be safely stowed and have dimensions no greater than 75 in/190 cm (length + width + height).

US Airways allows customers to carry their musical instrument in the cabin with them if the instrument exceeds the size restrictions for carry-on baggage and/or the customer believes that the instrument is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. To do this:

* The customer must purchase an extra seat for the instrument. Cost of the seat is the applicable adult fare for the portions of the flight that the extra seat is requested plus sales tax.
* The musical instrument must be secured in or against a window seat (not in an Emergency Exit Row).
* The customer must be seated in the seat directly next to the instrument.
* Seat baggage must not weigh more than 170 lbs/77 kg and must meet the size restrictions based on aircraft type.
* Cellos and bass violas will only be accepted as seat baggage.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.aspx

I don't know if your case can be "safely stowed" though. I've been wondering about this myself.
    Quote by Mosho2
    Has anyone here ever used an electric guitar in a hardshell case as carryon?

It's too big for the overhead compartment. I hear you can buy it a ticket so it can ride in the seat next to you.

Personally, I would ship it home via UPS or something rather than let the baggage mis-handlers throw it around. Don't check it if you can't lock it.

If you do check it, however, loosen the strings and wrap the headstock in something that will hold it steady if the case gets dropped flat.

"I've had about ENOUGH of these MOTHER****ing guitars on this MOTHER****ing PLANE!"
    Last edited by carpepax at Feb 14, 2009,
    They can safely store it inside a coat/special compartment in front/back of the plane. Getting a back seat could help and always put on a nice + happy face while asking the flight attendant.

Of course, this might vary between flights/time/events. Still not a guarantee. Also, don't fly with Delta Airlines, they're anti-musician...
    "Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
    Thats what she said...
    UGmusic
    Quote by Mosho2
    I'm gonna need to get my new Jackson (pun intended mothafuka) on the plane back home from Canada. I have a really nice hardshell case, very snug, the guitar just barely fits and has no room to move. Would you guys send in on the hold as check-in baggage? Is there a risk even with the hardshell case?

Thanks

Ive had it in the hold, in a hardshell and it got back just fine.
    It's Austrian Airlines. I called them and a guy told me I could use it as carry on... But I don't know.. I feel like it's gonna be trouble!

Another problem is that checking it in would be another 100 euros since I already have 2 bags...

Also, buying an extra ticket for 1000$ is completely out of the question lol
    I just carried mine onto the plane and they placed it behind some seats in business class... Didn't seem to be any problem.
    Yamaha RGX 520FZ
    Squier Affinitys Strat (customized!)
    Johnson 620 Player Acoustic

Boss HM3 hyper metal
    Boss CH1 super chorus
    Zoom G1X

Peavey Valveking Royal 8
    New: Peavey JSX Mini Collosal
    Quote by just17n8
    ... no samuel L jackson?... damm... now this is just pointless

There's a Jackson